Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVwHunters View Post
Don't know the effectiveness of a claw hammer for ruffians, but I know that aliens (little green ones that is) won't come near a claw hammer. In our pre-dog, pre-Airstream era we had an alien ship that hovered over our tent in the Minnesota North woods. All I had for protection was the claw hammer that I used to drive the tent stakes. I grabbed up that hammer (with optional rubber cushioned handle) and dared those little green buggers to come through that zippered flap. After a few minutes hovering, and some hard thinking they left. That was the night that made me want an Airstream. I had heard somewhere that aliens won't go near Airstreams, don't know if this is fact or fiction, but I do feel an Airstream would beat a tent and a claw hammer. Not sure about Canadian claw hammer laws though.
As for the aliens, I suppose it could be argued the Airstream is akin to a really large tinfoil hat. I have found the tinfoil hat to be effective against all sorts of ruffians.

For the other possibilities, I keep a can of wasp spray and a non-lethal "Taser" in the camper.
And also the killer 10 pound Schipperke dog. Don't mess with this little b!tch....
Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Does Amazon sell those tinfoil hats, or will I have to build it myself?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #83
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
"Airhead logic" would have me camping next to Burfield if given a choice. (except in Canada)
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
You're safe. 21' of 1994 vintage aluminium over your head is one heck of a tinfoil hat. No ruffian stands a chance.

And as to the whole discussion here, I honestly feel a good dog really does make a pretty darned good early warning system. Not much is gonna get close to my "schipperke's camper" without her letting me know about it.
It generally just other dogs, squirrels, rabbits or the occasional whistle-pig......but she is on top of all of it. So when she goes to Defcon one...... I pay attention.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #85
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What is at hand can be a decent weapon as well, so choose some items for dual purpose: ice pick, machete, 4-cell MAGLITE, camp hatchet, etc. Buy of good construction (do a bit of research and know your needs for the tools in question).

I've not ever really worried over the question, but have always assumed that (as above) situational awareness is paramount. So, no parking without a clear shot at "an exit" (as this means different things in different places) avoiding some places to park overnight, etc. For the most part when one is on well-travelled roads this means other travellers will be around. As an on-again / off-again truck driver (the back pocket career) I've parked in some sketchy places. Bear spray, or wasp spray + a flare gun oughta light'em up pretty good. Be resourceful.

And, OP, this thread re-appears every few years. Read around. Plenty of good ideas in those threads as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Huh guns and camping.
NEVER DROP YOUR GUN TO HUG A GRIZZLY BEAR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldcampphoto.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	193542   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldcamp photo.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	193543  

Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
A big consideration is where do you store it when not on your person ... without proper (and usually lengthy - not the one day variety) training, there is huge liability. Suggest as have others wasp spray, OC-10, or TASER (not the toy ones).
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #88
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Check my avatar - 154 & 166 lbs respectively. These "uncut" and exceptionally well trained males spend 24/7 by my side. They love kids and women, and will pose for pictures at every opportunity, but act hinky or threatening and whole 'nother personality will emerge. They are not upset by very loud, unanticipated noises like compressors, vacuums, pistols, or lightning/thunderstorms. One actually approaches loud sound sources rather than shy away. They are very confident fellas!

We have raised and trained giant dogs for 35+ years; these two are #5&6 of the keepers. These guys carry packs and lug water on trips away from humanity or to outdoor concerts. The grey & white one has a nose like a bloodhound and loves to play 'find the person' - a great skill on hikes. My all time favorite was a 205 lb, 41" at the shoulder, behemoth who loved towing stuff and came in handy getting cars out of ditches during snow storms or dragging logs back to camp.

Contrary to retold stories about short lives, all my Germanic Great Danes have lived between 11 and 14 years. You should see them voluntarily get their molars scrapped with dental picks to understand training.

This pair go 'on guard' but remain quiet when anyone approaches the TV or Airtream at night awaiting my 'stand down' or 'speak' command. If we are asleep, one watches the door while the other comes to the bed and wakes me up. The worst case/best reaction scenario I can report was rowdy, drunk bikers choosing to move on when confronted by my buddies near the Sturgis rally years ago. There is something electrifying about raised fur and twin, low rumbling growls emanating from 300+ lbs of canine (not on a leash).

A well trained pet/work dog is probably the best deterrent to trouble on the road. Oh, and I don't recommend getting between me and them and raising your voice too loud :-)
Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"Gun logic is out of place in the camping culture."

Trying to pigeonhole all gun owners as using one type of "logic" seems problematic.

I understand the concern about irresponsible gun ownership and/or use....but surely people can concede that not all gun owners will fit the same "mold" that some find problematic.

I am quite sure that MANY friendly campers here in Alabama carry a gun both in their vehicles and/or travel trailers and as long as you never try to bust in on them to rob/murder them....such folks will be in my opinion just as friendly as the next.

It may be worth pointing out that even given the likely fact that many alabama campers are "packin" - that still the camping experience in Alabama seems perfectly safe and pleasant (from the tent camping I have done here both in central alabama, and on the coast).

The idea that simply possessing a gun as a last resort de facto is a "magnet" for trouble is problematic as well...I presume that the root cause of that "trouble" would be the nature of the individual...

My 2 cents....I will not be packin in the trailer because kids will be directly in my crossfire....but if we were solo, just the wife and I, then I would not find carrying to be "looking for trouble" or a "trouble magnet"...it would be a last resort used ONLY in a terrifying scenario where there was almost zero doubt that my life could be in danger. This hypothetical may indeed by extremely extremely rare, but that would be my choice to carry "insurance" for such a hypothetical...

Otherwise, I am actually pretty much a big ol' librul - go figure

But to each his own, but that is my current calculus about that folks....

Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #90
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
This is one of the best articles I have ever read on guns and rvs

Safety & Security: Guns and RVs

That being said I really would like some insight as to wether bear spray works... As per my blog, A 1963 Airstream Overlander named Moonraker: Close encounters I had a recent experience that I never want to experience again! I'm literally afraid to go out my back door .
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
This is one of the best articles I have ever read on guns and rvs

Safety & Security: Guns and RVs

That being said I really would like some insight as to wether bear spray works... As per my blog, A 1963 Airstream Overlander named Moonraker: Close encounters I had a recent experience that I never want to experience again! I'm literally afraid to go out my back door .
First - your bear encounter is understandably unnerving. What an ordeal! Your dog sounds like a hero. I wish I had some knowledge of bear spray to share but I don't. I assume it "couldn't hurt" but that could be a very dangerous assumption.

Second - thanks for the link to that article. Really well done. I want to camp next to that guy :-)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #92
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Build it yourself...they really werk.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tin-foil-hat.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	193579  
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've been camping all of my life (almost literally - we were camping in a pop-up just a few weeks after I was born). I've NEVER had a situation where I felt I needed any kind of protection. As others said, if you don't feel right, go elsewhere. I'm not opposed to guns, but carrying a weapon seems like a lot more potential trouble than it's worth.

I'm not saying it can't happen, of course - anything is possible. But look at it this way: Every now and then, there's a thread on here about someone's Airstream being stolen. It happens maybe once or twice a year, which is pretty rare given the size of this community. In comparison, how many threads have you seen about someone being attacked? I can't think of any.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
When a cowboy is to old to set a bad example.he hands out good advice.
To me having a gun is like havin a spaer tire I like to have it if I need it. but hope I never have to use it.
When your out boondocking and trouble comes visiting doesn't mean you have to offer it a place to sit down.
Worry while campin about trouble a comin is like riding a rockin horse,It's something to do that don't get you nowhere.
Most of the stuff people worry about ain't never gonna happen anyway.
COWBOYS NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GUNS,DOGS OR PICKEM UP TRUCKS.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
Mongo, those on this thread advising situational awareness offer what I believe to be the most comprehensive and practical advice. This is why I have been methodically replacing every buck rivet on the shell with high-intensity lasers. Uh-huh. LASERS.

That's what I'm talkin' about,

wrawry
Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #96
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up I am reminded.....

.....of my Boy Scout survival tips.

You can make a fire by vigorously rubbing elk together, Also beavers.* Rub those beavers.

You can make a signal fire by burning Celine Dion CDs.

There’s no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently.

If you encounter a black bear, attempt to cross the road or distract it with rap music.

If you encounter a grizzly bear, attempt to punch it in the eye.* This will not scare the bear off, but you’re dead anyway so you don’t want to go out like a wus.

You can determine which direction is north by asking someone.*
Failing that, float a stick on a still body of water.* North will be the direction that is opposite of south.

Never make RIGHT turns when you’re lost in a forest.*Right turns attract left wing zombies.

Punch squirrels to vent your frustrations

Plant a garden.* Vegetables can sustain you if you plan on sitting still for the better part of a growing season.* And you have vegetable seeds handy.

If you brought a cow, milk it.

Bob
Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Sorry I'm late getting to the party but I've been busy. After having read all the posts the thing I am struck by is the use of "statistics show" or "studies prove" to prove the position the poster has taken. At least we have evolved beyond "they say". When someone says one of these two lines to bolster a point they should at least be able to and provide a source.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
Sorry I'm late getting to the party but I've been busy. After having read all the posts the thing I am struck by is the use of "statistics show" or "studies prove" to prove the position the poster has taken. At least we have evolved beyond "they say". When someone says one of these two lines to bolster a point they should at least be able to and provide a source.
Stating the source for your information? Wow it's like I'm back in Grad School!! But yes a good idea. then we can debate the statical validity of the measurement instruments used, and if the control group was adequately sized and reflective of the general population.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'm of the opinion, that a person who is attacked, whether in an RV or not, should drop to the ground and take the beating dealt them, and then play dead after they are shot and stabbed repeatedly.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Although I'm pretty proficient with firearms I got a Kimber Pepper Blaster for my wife to carry when walking the dog, no way to screw this up like other pepper spray devices.

http://www.amazon.com/Kimber-LA98001...pepper+blaster
Closed Thread