Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
I can think of no good reason not to become a gun owner.
I can. And it's right in the next quote.
Quote:
...go to a gun range very often and practice,practice, practice.The more you have the gun in your hand the more proficient you will become with and the safer you will be with it.Did I mention practice? Get the point?
I can't imagine anything more boring than endlessly shooting a gun as mentioned here.

But hey, that's what makes the world go 'round right? Some people will spend all their free time shooting off a gun, others might read, others might enjoy spending all that time with a camera or paintbrush in their hand. Practice, practice, practice! Get the point?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
A buddy of mine is a state trooper. We Discussing shooting under stress. He stated that when in a stressful situation people's accuracy quickly drops below 50%. And this is even for trained shooters.

I would think Just a NRA sticker and another pro-gun sticker right by the front door the trailer would be more than enough of a deterrent.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
I can think of no good reason not to become a gun owner.
I can think of many. One is that you're more likely to get killed by a gun if you own a gun.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
A buddy of mine is a state trooper. We Discussing shooting under stress. He stated that when in a stressful situation people's accuracy quickly drops below 50%. And this is even for trained shooters.
Your friend is 100% correct, even for cops and soldiers. No amount of shooting range training can prepare you for armed conflict. Few things scare me more than gun owners who think they're prepared for anything.

As I've said above, my wife used to be a competitive target shooter. The amount of concentration required for that sport is nothing but impressive. She used to be able to reduce her pulse to 50 and shoot between two heartbeats.

But drop a pin behind her, and she'd miss.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post

I would think Just a NRA sticker and another pro-gun sticker right by the front door the trailer would be more than enough of a deterrent.
Stickers like that have a way of making a very big statement about the occupant, and about the risks associated with being near that trailer. Although it may be a deterrent to some people of ill will, it may very well also be a deterrent to others with friendly intentions who simply don't want to expose themselves to the many gun dangers. Something to think about before putting that kind of sticker up.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
(1) I have boondocked by myself in lots of places in the west and NEVER have had a problem
(2) BUT when you have a AS many folks good and bad think you have money so this can make you a target for the bad guys.
(3) Guns have been covered well here so no need to talk about that.YES I am a red neck with guns, guts and a bible and I can and will use any and all of them if needed.
(4) The best advice given here choose your campsite well and to your confort zone.
(5) Keep an eye on your surrownding.This is one most folks fail to do.
(6) If it dont seem right most likely it isnt.DO NOT BEFRIEND folks that may come to you for false help,(Want to use your phone,car broke down need money,out of gas,need food ect)This type has killed campers in AZ
(7) Dog is your best alarm I have a small one that will let me know when ANY thing is around.Man or beast.If a dog is barking at you,he's not biting you.If he is biting you,then he's not barking at you.
(8)I also but out motion sensors that will let me know if something is around.Most of the times when they go of it is a bear,deer or skunk the 4 legged kind.
If you just make being on the look out away of life you can go out camping and have fun doing it with out worrying your self about what if.A good sense of humor is your best protection in this insane world.
COMMON SENSE SOMETIMES CONFUSES INTELLIGENT FOLKS
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Please keep it civil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaggard View Post
Reading the Wal-Mart camping thread raised another question for me. What are group members thoughts on having some sort of protection on board? Dog/gun/mace/etc?

I have never owned a gun, but have shot a couple of rifles in my life. Not too crazy about being around one. Traveling alone it is something to give thought to.

Ben has a big bark but does not use it often and once your are within a few feet he suddenly loves you. Of course we have never been in the company of someone with intent to harm, not sure what he would do then.

I would appreciate thoughts.
This thread has significantly deviated from the above first post. Gun discussion has veered toward politics and a flame war. Few are likely to be persuaded by this turn of tone. With concurrence of the moderator team, inflammatory posts preceding my note here have been edited out. We've used up all points of gun discussion again. Take that elsewhere. Questions about that? PM me.

As the Community Rules state, "We take the 'be nice' rule VERY seriously." Posters responding to kmaggard's original question continue to be welcome.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #68

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
(8)I also but out motion sensors that will let me know if something is around.Most of the times when they go of it is a bear,deer or skunk the 4 legged kind.

I'd like to hear more about this. What sort of system do you have for that?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've never ever come close to needing violent defense in 20 years of camping. Worst trouble has been drunks. The only use for a gun in my camper would be occasional target shooting in the forest. My dog (German Shorthair) is probably a more effective deterrent.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Here's a thought...electrify the Airstream skin. That would keep the ruffians at bay!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Mentioned in Post #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Stephanie, I know you weren't directing your question to me, my post seems to have been lost in the shuffle. I think the best offense is a good defense by prevention. Read my post #39. I am using two simple Microsoft web cams to view the front and back areas of my trailer, combined with 3 Dakota Alert System M-538. There are three sensors, a base station and a portable walki-talki. They have a sensor range from 20 to 80 feet (adjustable) and can be placed up to 4 miles away depending on terrain and obstacles. The walki talki can listen to the monitors and/or communicate with the base station. Having two video feeds on my computer (while still using the internet) is like having guards placed all around your camp. If someone is lurking, its easy to turn lights on, make noise and spoil their would-be surprise advantage

Tharon.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
German Shorthair alarm system

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I've never ever come close to needing violent defense in 20 years of camping. Worst trouble has been drunks. The only use for a gun in my camper would be occasional target shooting in the forest. My dog (German Shorthair) is probably a more effective deterrent.
Kscherzi, I have a German Shorthaired Pointer too. Do you have any pictures?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Not fancy,just Radio Shack portable motion detector.Cat no 49-426.
Some I made mounts for that sit on the table and others are mounted with Velcro.They have off,chime and alarm setting.I use the chime setting because the alarm is on a time delay.
Makes me feel good and they will wake me up when I have the windows open,BUT the dog will bark befor the alarm go off.
This thread has lot of good info on it.
Boy.if your horse aint wanting to go there,neither should you.If you JUST THINK and keep a good look out around you,and take normal precautions you will most likely not get into trouble.It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep.
Remember camping is fun and the biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning.
NEVER CORNER SOMETHING MEANER THAN YOU.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopariac View Post
Stephanie, I know you weren't directing your question to me, my post seems to have been lost in the shuffle. I think the best offense is a good defense by prevention. Read my post #39. I am using two simple Microsoft web cams to view the front and back areas of my trailer, combined with 3 Dakota Alert System M-538. There are three sensors, a base station and a portable walki-talki. They have a sensor range from 20 to 80 feet (adjustable) and can be placed up to 4 miles away depending on terrain and obstacles. The walki talki can listen to the monitors and/or communicate with the base station. Having two video feeds on my computer (while still using the internet) is like having guards placed all around your camp. If someone is lurking, its easy to turn lights on, make noise and spoil their would-be surprise advantage

Tharon.
This sounds like a fantastic system, But it would be a problem, at least for us , to keep a computer and accessories powered 24/7 while boondocking.

We have had very good luck at home with a Harbor Freight wireless driveway alarm. In fact at times it picks up vehicles or animals a little further away than we like . Battery powered. Never took it camping but have thought about it.

The other thing worth mentioning, is, according to my concealed carry instructor, if you use a gun for self defense you will very likely have to deal with a civil lawsuit. He suggested it is not good to have NRA stickers and you definitely do not want to be displaying something like "Insured by Smith and Wesson".
As many others have said, trust your instincts. We have never had
any problems, however on a couple occasions we elected to move on because something didn't seem quite right.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
You might be surprised at what your old St. Bernard Ben could accomplish if he sensed you were in danger. Remember a dog sees you first and foremost as Mr. Feed Bowl, and nobody messes with Mr. Feed Bowl! They look up to you for many things that they depend on. We might even see Daisy get up off the couch in the right situation. Since my Wife does most of the feeding, our Jimi would probably push me into the line of fire to save the Wife and the dog food till suppertime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogs opinion.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	193530  
Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Also battery powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
This sounds like a fantastic system, But it would be a problem, at least for us , to keep a computer and accessories powered 24/7 while boondocking.
This works either by regular plug-in or you can use the sensors and listen to the Walki-Talki and not use the base station. Perfect for boondocking. The computer portion of our system is just the cameras we use. They too can be used boondocking if you use a laptop. I only use it 24/7 because that's part of the job I'm doing right now. You could use it only when your in your trailer.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #77

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Interesting, thanks for the descriptions of your various systems. I have to admit we have never felt unsafe while camping, but we don't boondock. But you never know, maybe someday.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have small children, they are quick on their feet and make all most no sound. ( when they are trying to be sneaky..). Having a motion sensor would be s great idea just to let you know they are moving about, or going out of the camp.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #79
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
When I was a photographer in Washington DC almost every possible thing for personal protection was illegal. i filled one of those lemon juice bottles (shaped like a lemon or lime) with ammonia and carried it in my camera bag or in my car. Still had my cameras stolen once but it came in handy one night when a guy tried to open my car door at a light not far from the White House. I just pointed it at the guy and he took off, must have hated lime juice.
I think the best way to stay out of trouble is to travel with friends and avoid drunks.
I have a CCW but I think a 12 gauge is still the best defensive weapon, legal everywhere in your 'home" (except Canada?) and would be the ideal last resort for protection.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
What about a claw hammer?

Don't know the effectiveness of a claw hammer for ruffians, but I know that aliens (little green ones that is) won't come near a claw hammer. In our pre-dog, pre-Airstream era we had an alien ship that hovered over our tent in the Minnesota North woods. All I had for protection was the claw hammer that I used to drive the tent stakes. I grabbed up that hammer (with optional rubber cushioned handle) and dared those little green buggers to come through that zippered flap. After a few minutes hovering, and some hard thinking they left. That was the night that made me want an Airstream. I had heard somewhere that aliens won't go near Airstreams, don't know if this is fact or fiction, but I do feel an Airstream would beat a tent and a claw hammer. Not sure about Canadian claw hammer laws though.
Closed Thread