Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Unless you really know what you're doing, and by that I mean you're either a law enforcement officer or a member of the Armed Forces, (or have been trained to a similar standard) then the most likely outcome of using a gun during a confrontation is that you yourself end up getting harmed, not your opponent. The statistics on this are very clear - the same goes for non lethal devices, like tazers etc.

I am not against guns, my wife is a target shooter and I grew up on a farm where hunting was a way of life, but I am against putting guns into the hands of people who don't know how to handle them.

Also, allow me to make the observation that crime rates have been steadily falling for the last 30 years. Why? The baby boomers are getting older. The majority of crimes - especially crimes involving violence - are committed by young males. Fewer young males with raging hormones = less crime. Once you've got a family, you're too tired to get up to no good.

We're safer than we ever have been and most people are decent folks. The reason people are fearful is the media. We now hear about every single incident, wherever it might have happened, giving the impression that we're surrounded by danger.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
"stun baton"? Sounds fun - link?
StreetWise 800,000 Volt Stun Baton Shock Demo - YouTube

Bwahahaha...

Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I learned a few years ago, if you want to carry a baseball bat or golf club for self defense, make sure you also carry a ball and glove, or a pack of golf balls.
The reasoning for this is if you don't have those items, it could mean you were out looking for trouble, and they could be considered weapons. If you have a glove and baseball, you used an item of opportunity to defend yourself (namely the bat). Same with the club, make it a driver, and carry a cheap sleeve of balls with it.

of course, if I konk somebody in the head with my combat flashlight, they probably won't be getting back up until I'm far away.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We both grew up with guns for sport and have 58 years military service totaled, have them at home, but have trouble understanding arming a recreational population for protection. We have traveled extensively over the years There is a always a risk I suppose, but not sure introducing another one is a good solution.

We pick and choose our campsites, keep an eye on our surroundings, and "get out of Dodge" when things don't look right.

doug
Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Unless you really know what you're doing, and by that I mean you're either a law enforcement officer or a member of the Armed Forces, (or have been trained to a similar standard) then the most likely outcome of using a gun during a confrontation is that you yourself end up getting harmed, not your opponent. The statistics on this are very clear - the same goes for non lethal devices, like tazers etc.

I am not against guns, my wife is a target shooter and I grew up on a farm where hunting was a way of life, but I am against putting guns into the hands of people who don't know how to handle them.

Also, allow me to make the observation that crime rates have been steadily falling for the last 30 years. Why? The baby boomers are getting older. The majority of crimes - especially crimes involving violence - are committed by young males. Fewer young males with raging hormones = less crime. Once you've got a family, you're too tired to get up to no good.

We're safer than we ever have been and most people are decent folks. The reason people are fearful is the media. We now hear about every single incident, wherever it might have happened, giving the impression that we're surrounded by danger.
Well said. This is a great point. And yes now that I have kids, no time nor energy to stir up some trouble.. Even good trouble..
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Do what you think is necessary to protect your family and yourself. When you are in your in or around your airstream, that is your home, and pretty much any legal right with home ownership goes with it. Rights against unlawful searches, self defense, etc. apply as a home. Any guns and ammo should be left in the trailer, not the tow vehicle, laws apply differently to motorized vehicles.

It's your job to defend yourself and family not the police's. The police's job is to enforce the laws after it is broken. Active enforcement is mostly done by writing speeding tickets. My father told me the verb "police" means to clean up, and that's pretty much what they do, clean up after a crime.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhtullos View Post
Do what you think is necessary to protect your family and yourself. When you are in your in or around your airstream, that is your home, and pretty much any legal right with home ownership goes with it. Rights against unlawful searches, self defense, etc. apply as a home. Any guns and ammo should be left in the trailer, not the tow vehicle, laws apply differently to motorized vehicles.

It's your job to defend yourself and family not the police's. The police's job is to enforce the laws after it is broken. Active enforcement is mostly done by writing speeding tickets. My father told me the verb "police" means to clean up, and that's pretty much what they do, clean up after a crime.
It's difficult to discuss this without an argument, but this viewpoint scares me more than the boogieman.

doug
Old 08-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
I suppose if you shoot a hole in the AS wall it would be a good excuse to put in another vista view window!
Thanks for all the advice, some great ideas and just what I was looking for. Some night when I am sleeping in a Cabella's parking I will have to run in and get some bear spray.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The problem with guns being fired in trailers is that when you miss your target the projectile goes through neighbouring trailers until something or someone stops it.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
The problem with guns being fired in trailers is that when you miss your target the projectile goes through neighbouring trailers until something or someone stops it.
The problem with guns fired in trailers is that if you miss your target, your target may not miss you!

If you carry a gun, you owe it to yourself to spend some time on the shooting range, as regularly as you can manage.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
I am working out in South Texas as an Oil Field Gateguard. I have a preventive measure that I use that isn't mention yet here...Outside cameras. I use them to assist me in spotting visitors before they get to the gate so I can be as quick as possible to open the gate and sign them in. However, it also assists me with other visitors. I had someone walk up to the gate three weeks ago at 11:30 pm. I was already alerted by my motion sensors that are placed up the road to alert me of traffic. When I looked at the camera I observed 8 to 10 people ducking off the road into some bushes, while two more came to my gate. I went out and found two young female Mexican nationals asking for water. I went back in the trailer and retrieved 12 bottles of cold water and brought them out to them. I handed the water to them and asked ¿tus amigos también quieres un poco de agua? (Do your friends want some water too?) They said "Sí", and off into the night they went. If it weren't for my front and rear cameras that I keep up on my monitor 24/7, I wouldn't have know there might be danger hiding in the shadows.
I use them when I'm camping anywhere now, it is a great advantage knowing what is around you.

Tharon
Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
what happens if you shoot an LP tank?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post

what happens if you shoot an LP tank?
This:

http://www.break.com/video/shooting-...ne-tank-336334
Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
As said earlier. Dog & can of Bear Spray are an awesome combo and legal in all 50 states. You can't carry it across the boarder, but you can buy a new can once you're there. Unlike pepper spray, it is usually classified as a pesticide. I've used it in the field for bears and it works well. My company uses it on field expeditions to bear prone territory (Russia, Canada, Alaska, etc...)

There are only 2 real downsides to the stuff which are as follows:
1). Transport & storage. Like a gun, you do not want it to go off unintentionally. It is nasty stuff (nearly 10x over conventional pepper spray). On Human skin this causes immediate blistering and/or peeling depending on your level of sensitivity. Don't even want to think about the eyes & mucous membranes....... This means you or a perpetrator will go the hospital if exposed. Fortunately you can get transport containers for air travel that have and absorber built into it should it go off due to being jarred or from pressure effects on aerosols.

2). You could wind up in a law suit if you misused it or were in a place where there are not clear laws that protect your right to defend yourself. Several police departments have researched & tested the use of Class IV pepper spray deterrents like bear spray and have decided against it as a first line of defense for fear of the legal ramifications.

In my case, I'm generally more afraid of bears than violent crime committed by crooks. My dogs & insurance policy are probably the best defense I have against the criminally minded (thieves).