Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have pondered the idea of bring a gun, but the space in a trailer is really tight, with a family on board the risk of hitting the wrong person is pretty high. Plus even a 22 would punch straight through a AS.

I worry more about the stuff out side and in the TV walking off.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'll likely carry mace and perhaps will look into a taser

I'm not anti gun - but never grew up around them so out of my element at this point.

My Boston Terrier is not exactly an effective guard dog - never barks - and so far lives all strangers.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Pharm,

You should have a dart gun with loaded with a knock out sedative!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Pharm,

You should have a dart gun with loaded with a knock out sedative!
Hahaha - ambien tipped poison darts! Intruders beware !!! Also stop buy for persistent insomnia fix

Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I stay at a lot of military RV parks and guns on base are a big pain -- you have to register them at the least and, on some bases, surrender them for safe-keeping with the Master At Arms.

So, we carry bear spray. Just like pepper spray but in the giant, economy size. No one is coming through the door.

Of course, can't carry it into Canada but that is a small burden.

Mike
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I think these are all good ideas. I'd certainly avoid anyone with snakes.

Any firing of a weapon is and should be the last resort. But I firmly believe that option will always be available to me. If cornered and under dire threat, I will fire. (Up to that point, I've done all I can to evade, avoid or escape.)

A cougar, bear or bobcat trying to feast on my dogs is always a concern. Dogs on the road and in the wild draw attention. Coyotes are fast. And they are not afraid. Bear spray will possibly give you a chance to escape. I guess it would also work on an aggressive panhandler, but some places could charge you with assault.

Never once have I needed any protection. After a couple of days of minimal showering and no shaving I look sort of wild myself.

Do not take any weapon into Canada, they do not like it and will not give it back. That includes mace and bear spray. Canadians are nice, until they catch you packing. An earnest apology does not make them feel any better about it.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
There is nothing better than the sound of a 12 gauge pump shotgun, putting a round in the chamber, to make 'ruffians' want to behave.

I am really not part of the gun culture, but grew up with them, spent over 10 years in the Marine Corps, and I am proficient with rifles, pistols and shotguns. I say my prayers that I never have to use one in anger, but if it comes down to them or me, I am going to choose me.

It's rare that I take a trip without a firearm.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I stay at a lot of military RV parks and guns on base are a big pain -- you have to register them at the least and, on some bases, surrender them for safe-keeping with the Master At Arms.

So, we carry bear spray. Just like pepper spray but in the giant, economy size. No one is coming through the door.

Of course, can't carry it into Canada but that is a small burden.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by daymonjones View Post
Do not take any weapon into Canada, they do not like it and will not give it back. That includes mace and bear spray. Canadians are nice, until they catch you packing. An earnest apology does not make them feel any better about it.
Hi, at several border crossings, on our Alaska trip, we were told by the Canadian border guards, that bear spray is OK in Canada. [no guns, no mace, no pepper spray]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
if I had to carry a gun, I think it would be a 12 gage...or perhaps one of those hand gun shot gun types "the judge" with a round less likely to puncture through the trailer to the outside....

I think that if I was not traveling with kids on the other side of the trailer, I may feel a bit different perhaps....

It is all rather concerning...I would keep my trailer locked and IF in some likely EXTREMELY rare scenario some crazy person breaks in through the dead-bolt and into the trailer...I would assume they would know people ARE inside...and they would have intent on harm...in such a case I would like to have something to put them down before they do me...

I think given the kids on board the mace and taser will be my best compromise...but if it were just the two of us, I would more strongly consider a shotgun...

That bear mace I hear will have quite the stopping power though....good enough for me....

Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, at several border crossings, on our Alaska trip, we were told by the Canadian border guards, that bear spray is OK in Canada. [no guns, no mace, no pepper spray]
My denial of entry was in late 2001, I haven't tried again. I am glad they allow it now, I hear there are some big bears up there, lol.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
If you're in a situation to have to fire any weapon, your last worry should be the holes punched through the trailer. If you're pulling a trigger, you have to mean that the result is a corpse.

A shotgun in the close quarters of an AS? I'd get better aim and quicker second shot with a handgun. And less chance of a friendly fire incident.

But if you ever do have to fire, give them enough to make hell look like a vacation.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Mongo use candygram for protection. Learn from Sheriff Bart.

...Well, if the candygram doesn't work, the stun baton and bear spray should!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
similar thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...one-49322.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"stun baton"? Sounds fun - link?

Closed Thread