Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I always carry 3 different protection devices in order of response: Bear spray I highly recommend this one Frontiersman Bear Attack Spray with Belt Holster ), next is a good pistol (mine is a Glock 34 9mm) and lastly is a 12 ga. shotgun (mine is a Browning A-5 with a 22" barrel). I have not had to use any of the above, but I'll bet the bear spray will do the trick in most situations, and no holes in the perp or the 'stream.

I replaced my bear spray (UDAP Bear Spray and Pepper Spray Deterrent Produced by a Grizzly Bear Attack Survivor)last year because it was expired by a few years. I fired off the old canisters today (back to the wind!) and it was interesting to see the effect, even though I had done a test blast with them before. They are extremely powerful and I now know I would never fire one of these off in the confined space of my trailer. I got a few dribbles of the spray on my fingers and immediately washed and scrubbed my hands twice. A few hours later I rubbed my eye and had to flush my eye with water it burned so bad!

I have a small canister of pepper spray (Self Defense, Personal Protection, Mace, Personal Defense Pepper Spray) I keep handy for use inside the trailer if needed. My first course of action, would be the stun baton I also keep. If both of those fail, the 12 gauge is my last resort.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #156
2 Rivet Member
2013 19' International
Englewood , Florida
Wasp spray?

Spray someone in the face with insecticide that they breathe in and they sue you for causing them to have pneumonia, poisoning them, and damaging their eyes. The last thing you want to do is spray something that will just enrage them but not incapacitate them.

Buy an aerosol spray can of CS/OC chemical agent like Freeze Plus P. It's the kind that has 1% CS (tear gas) plus 1% OC (pepper). It's non toxic and non flammable. I can assure you THAT combination is very effective. It's used in law enforcement.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Check out what happened to Air France flight 447. So, yes, it does happen, though it's usually pretty rare.

Your advice is good, though - the first step to deal with any problem, be it an intruder, an idiot on the road, a blown tire, a fire in the house, or an earthquake is to NOT PANIC!
I do not know they panicked since the black boxes where never recovered.It is knowen they had their hand full.
The sad part is that they never changed the type pitot tube used on the Air Bus.If that had been done the crash might never have come to pass.
I never liked any of the Air Buses and have always refused to work on them or ride on them.
Jimmini :
AKA : TUMBLEWEED. Just an old buzzard with a itch to yonder.
Man has only those rights he can defend
Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #158
3 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon

well just in case this thread hasn't been beaten to death I will comment. First, I will disclose that I am a Front sight first family lifetime member. I believe in guns. But I know how to use them, have been in scuffles while armed without displaying or using my weapon. One inevitable truth, if you pull the trigger your life will change. However, for me, if it comes down to my life or that of my wife, there is no question. If you are not comfortable with a gun the quickest gun to get used to is a pump action shotgun. it also has the advantage of making a universal noise that all bad guys dread. it also carries a significant impact up close, does not require particular skill to aim but will not kill someone 100' away from you.

On the less than lethal side of things, I have sailed extensively in Canada and Mexico. For these areas I carry bear spray. it is much more effective than any pepper spray or mace intended for humans. I have not found a place where it is illegal, although it must be somewhere, and it will spray over 20 feet away. mace and pepper spray intended for humans is illegal in some places. Unlike regular pepper spray it does not quickly dissipate in the air. It sticks to what it hits. It is ideal on a boat as you can spray it through vent holes in your hatch without unlocking the hatch.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #159
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post

I do not know they panicked since the black boxes where never recovered.It is knowen they had their hand full.
The sad part is that they never changed the type pitot tube used on the Air Bus.If that had been done the crash might never have come to pass.
I never liked any of the Air Buses and have always refused to work on them or ride on them.
Actually, the black boxes were recovered. It's pretty clear the one pilot kept pulling back on the stick even though the signs were that the plane was stalling and falling fast. It may not be "panic" in the sense of screaming or something, but he definitely wasn't thinking things through and didn't try anything other than "pull up".

(Sorry for the off-topic-ness.)
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 08-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #160

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Originally Posted by kmaggard View Post
Reading the Wal-Mart camping thread raised another question for me. What are group members thoughts on having some sort of protection on board? Dog/gun/mace/etc?

I have never owned a gun, but have shot a couple of rifles in my life. Not too crazy about being around one. Traveling alone it is something to give thought to.

Ben has a big bark but does not use it often and once your are within a few feet he suddenly loves you. Of course we have never been in the company of someone with intent to harm, not sure what he would do then.

I would appreciate thoughts.
This thread is closed. Thanks to those of you who took the time to respond to kmaggard's questions.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Closed Thread