Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Don't use bubble wrap on your stone guards or trailer

DO NOT USE BUBBLE WRAP OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON THE FRONT OF YOUR AS TRAILER. The bubble wrap will etch its pattern on the front of whatever you put it on, trust me as it happened to me. The vibration of the wrap against the metal will etch the pattern in and you will spend a hell of a lot of time trying to buffer it out. Leave everything off the front of your trailer and put big mud flaps on the truck. Especially big if you have a Hensley hitch as there is more room from the back of the truck to the front of the trailer for stones to fly bounce up.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGLG View Post
DO NOT USE BUBBLE WRAP OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON THE FRONT OF YOUR AS TRAILER. The bubble wrap will etch its pattern on the front of whatever you put it on, trust me as it happened to me. The vibration of the wrap against the metal will etch the pattern in and you will spend a hell of a lot of time trying to buffer it out. Leave everything off the front of your trailer and put big mud flaps on the truck. Especially big if you have a Hensley hitch as there is more room from the back of the truck to the front of the trailer for stones to fly bounce up.

Hi, I did use bubble wrap on my trailer and it does leave marks. I had mud flaps on my Lincoln too. I still got rock dings although not as many as I would have gotten without the bubble wrap and mud flaps. I also got a spider crack in my rock guard and a few rock chips in my Lincoln windshield. We were in the peak of road repairs with many truck loads of gravel being laid down. If you can go after the majority of the road work, you might not need any protection. If going again, I would use the rubber mats or go at a later date. On our way back home the roads were finished and beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	263417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	263418  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:52 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGLG View Post
DO NOT USE BUBBLE WRAP OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON THE FRONT OF YOUR AS TRAILER.
I stand corrected.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Airstream Logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4NT3D View Post
Here's it mounted on TV, haven't adjusted length yet.
Then you can spend another $60 or so and replace the Rock Tamer logo with Airstream logo. The mounting holes line up perfectly and it looks cool, but it's not cheap, nor is shipping from the Airstream Store. Just did it last week and love the results. Sorry, I don't have pictures.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I did use bubble wrap on my trailer and it does leave marks. I had mud flaps on my Lincoln too. I still got rock dings although not as many as I would have gotten without the bubble wrap and mud flaps. I also got a spider crack in my rock guard and a few rock chips in my Lincoln windshield. We were in the peak of road repairs with many truck loads of gravel being laid down. If you can go after the majority of the road work, you might not need any protection. If going again, I would use the rubber mats or go at a later date. On our way back home the roads were finished and beautiful.
What kind of tape did you use? Any problems with it coming loose with wet weather?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
What kind of tape did you use? Any problems with it coming loose with wet weather?

Hi, I used a red plastic tape which comes off clean and leaves no glue or marks. It's called stucco tape. It did come loose when wet so we replaced it, as it came loose, with duct tape. Duct tape was very difficult to remove.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
old dings, scares of a life well lived

Winter is over and the outside polishing job has started. Never knew there were so many small dings and tree branch marks on the old girl. The front is a nightmare! I could sand down the marks going from 600 to 2500 grit, or admire her story of travel and adventures. The font shines like polished silver showing every ding and deep grove. Just like me, I see these as battle scares an so I will leave them as is knowing her new smile will be what people will stare at as she goes down the road and not her scares.
Don't make yours ugly trying to stop all dings. People like me see an AS going down the road and we see modern art so don't make it ugly to try to keep it pretty, let it live to have it's own stories to be told. Protect with mud flaps and other guards on the truck but please know the bubble wrap is advice saying the same thing - come on here what he is really saying to you.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Before purchasing the TowTector, I investigated the various mud flap-type devices. I realized that mud flaps work, but not completely, because rocks also get thrown up by the front wheels and can miss the mud flaps. the TowTector concept is to provide protection across the whole rear of the TV. Its disadvantage is hooking up the chains and power cord is slightly more cumbersome.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in TowTector. Just passing along my experience.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We take very good care of out Airstream, let the factory segment protectors and stone guards do their job. Our truck has OEM mud flaps. Many miles about the country many times with only a few minor dings in the segment protectors which don't matter, none in the propane cover. The upper front Airstream has a couple dings from meeting other vehicles throwing up rocks, not from our truck.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote