Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
interstateflyer: And.....for the sides use 1/4 " fanfold ( often put under vinyl house siding) Put self stick magnetic tape full length on top and bottom of sides. Fold out and use very strong magnetic strip ( no adhesive ) on top of fan fold on top and bottom. Select a few extra places in between and be sure to mark the the fanfold where the underneath short strips are. Be sure the "bra" covers the leading edges. Without a "spoiler" as part of the bra, you might get side foam flutter. If so...slow down. My 1958 Caravanner has a hard cover over the "a" frame mounted generator. I'd extend the metal upward to protect the window or use the padded bra approach. I'd not worry about the sides except for maybe the windows. Some dings are patina and are a "badge of courage' purporting to "I use my Airstream anywhere"
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
I had multiple screws come loose ftom cabinet door hinges and drawers and doors come off. A woodworking furniture shop in Halifax suggested that instead of using larger screws I simply insert 1 or 2 ordinary toothpicks into the holes and reinstall the hinge using the original screw. This worked like a charm. Despite two thousand miles on very rough Newfoundland roads (broke an alloy wheel on TV hitting a pothole at slow speed in a rain storm) we never had another loose screw on any hinges. We also use large reusable twist ties (under $10 at Home Depot) to fasten all cabinet handles and drawers to prevent them from being shaken open.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
I think you mean you are travelling from Dawson Creek, BC on the Alaska Hwy. Dawson City (Yukon) is usually a destination not on the Alaska Hwy. Great trip. Be sure to stop at Laird Hot Springs (a provincial park) for a quick dip ($4).
Dawson City isn't on the Alaska Highway, but you can travel to Alaska via Dawson Creek, BC and/or via Dawson City, Yukon. From Dawson City, Yukon you take a ferry across the Yukon River, and then the Top of the World Highway into Alaska.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #24
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Fairbanks Alaska and back: 12,000 miles in 3 months.
An Inkay Rock Tamer was my only protection. No front end dings, but my truck also has GM mud flaps. After 10 seasons, I just now had a fresh water tank drain valve get sheared off. I think it was a blown truck's tire shred on the the U.S. Interstates that got me.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I made mud flaps for my Lincoln and precut bubble insulation for the front of my trailer. I started with Stucco tape, but it came loose in the rain. I switched to Duct tape which is quite difficult to remove. Due to all of the gravel, My trailer still got dinged, but could have been worse without any protection. I also got a spider crack on my front window's rock guard. And a nice rock chip in my Lincoln's windshield. The bubble insulation also will leave marks in the clear coat. It's a must do trip and it was great, but expect to get dinged no matter what you do. If your tires are still good, don't buy new ones because they will get chewed up by the gravel anyway. I bought two trailer tires [started to separate] in Alaska, and on the way home, I bought four new tires for my Lincoln. No sense in tearing up new tires. This trip was over 10,000 miles and for 50 days.

Anyway, we loved the trip, and a few rock dings hasn't stopped us from enjoying our trailer. Last year we went across the country pulling our trailer over 13,000 miles and were gone for 3 1/2 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	255913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4540.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	255914  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I'm considering removing and plugging the drain petcock/valve temporarily for the trip. Is there a downside to doing that?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari View Post
Funny thing about that drain, mine got sheared off near Destruction Bay in 2003. Talked to an Airstream rep and showed him what happened, he said it was a poor design and it would be changed. He even took pictures. Apparently they have not gotten around to it yet. It is in an extremely vulnerable position and the little flange they put under it does nothing to protect it. Rocks don't fly straight up, they clobber it from the front side, where the guard should be. Good ideas on also protecting the gas lines too.
We had ours repaired by Fraserway RV in Prince George. Fraserway sold had the original Airstream petcock - it cost $2.95 for the part. They installed the premium version that cost double that - $5.95 and apparently much better.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #28

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
On my old '83 Silver Streak I gave up and replaced the plastic drain valve with a 3/8 inch brass ball valve. Never lost another valve.
guskmg
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #29

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The roads to Alaska are generally good. Expect some construction as they are always trying to catch up from the winter damage. The last 100 miles on the Alcan in Canada, before the Alaskan border, are the worst. Pot hole after pot hole. Recover from one and you hit another. Think 25 mph. There is no way that will improve because it is in an area that is just south of permafrost, i.e., the freeze and thaw region. However, the roads in Alaska are really good considering the weather. The Canadians work hard to keep them repaired, but there is no permanent relief.
guskmg