Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Savannah , Georgia
Progressive Insurance

Is it possible to just get RV and roadside assistance from Progressive without having auto insurance there?

We're buying a '48 Spartan Manor 25'er this weekend...our first TT. I've read a few posts on the board about how satisfied folks were with Progressive, but couldn't discern if they had added it to their auto coverage or just had an RV policy.

The guy we just called said it wouldn't be worth it to him to give us just an RV policy.

Our auto insurance is state farm, but we're switching it soon. Progressive auto is too expensive for us in Savannah, GA.

We want to feel safe on the ride home with it so we may just get Good Sam. But when it gets back here, we'll be worried about not having some coverage in this urban environment where someone will probably eventually try to rip the doors off.

Lulu
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I have their RV insurance only... left my auto with Allstate (with my home). I had my TT insured through Allstate - but they don't offer an Agreed Value policy - so it was worthless to me... on a '73, the blue book is pretty low no matter how you add it up. Progressive gave me an Agreed Value policy (incl roadside) and IMO, it is very agreeable -- financially.

Actually, just a few months after obtaining progressive, I made a claim (oak tree limb fell and damaged two rear quarter panels). They were unbelievably prompt and efficient.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have RV insurance through AAA, which is actually through Progressive. Everything else, including the tow vehicle, is insured through State Farm. If State Farm had had an agreed on value policy we'd have kept the RV with them as well, because we've had good service from them over the years. So yes, you should be able to get a Progressive policy on just your vintage RV. maybe contact AAA and go through them, and they'll find a more cooperative agent. And we are not AAA members, either.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I have My RV insurance with Progressive. So sure you can get RV insurance without having any other insurance with them. Got a quote on auto and they were higher than some others.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Our trailer only is with Progressive

Our truck is with Safeco. We went with Progressive because they were willing to insure our vintage trailer for the appraised value......hope we never need to use it...pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Savannah , Georgia
thanks.
so for $5000 of coverage they're asking for a $500 deductible. is this similar to what you guys have on your policies?
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Just to add another one: we also have our house, car, and newer RV policies elsewhere. Went with Progressive for the agreed value coverage on our Argosy - as usual with vintage, we have way more in it than any value guide will suggest.

It's not exactly cheap - just shy of $300/yr for $10k of coverage and a $500 deductible - but it was straight-forward and simple. (Although, come to think of it, we're not paying much less for the coverage on our 2007 T@B teardrop with a book value similar to the Argosy's agreed value.) I bought it online but called for info, and the customer service person was very helpful and knowledgeable.

As with other insurance, you can pick the deductible you want.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote