Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Somewhere , Virginia
Process to bring a dog over the USA border

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip into Canada this summer for about 2 months with my Service Dog. I understand that all I need to get him into Canada is Proof of Rabies Vaccination. I'm not sure what I would need to get him back into the US. Or if different States have any requirements that I would need to meet.

If anyone has taken their pets (dogs) in and out of the US would you let me know of any requirements or problems that they had getting them back in.

Thanks in advance.
larrysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
https://blog.gopetfriendly.com/takin...dog-to-canada/

from the blog:

What Your Dog Will Need to Return to the US
In the past, pet owners were allowed to cross the border into the United States from Canada without a proper rabies certificate if they entered into an agreement to vaccinate their dog and isolate him until the inoculation took effect. Due to an increase in requests for these agreements, an investigation was performed that revealed that many people were not complying with the requirements. So, on August 11, 2014, the United States enacted new requirements for dog entering the country without proper rabies vaccination records.

Proof of Rabies Vaccination

Now the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which oversee the entry of pets into the United States, require that all dogs be properly vaccinated prior to entering the United States. Further, dogs that have never been vaccinated against rabies previously must be vaccinated at least 30 days prior to arrival. That means that a puppy (or dog for whom there is no record of previous vaccinations, like rescue dogs) were vaccinated for rabies on January 1, he could travel to Canada immediately – because they impose no waiting period – but he would have to wait until January 31st to cross the border back into the US.

Dogs 15 months and older who have been previously vaccinated for rabies, but for whom the vaccination has expired, may cross into the US immediately upon receiving a booster vaccination, as long as they received their first rabies vaccination after they were 3 months old.

To be acceptable, the rabies vaccination certificate must include the following information:

Name and address of owner
Breed, sex, age, color, markings, and other identifying information for the dog
Date of rabies vaccination and vaccine product information
Date the vaccination expires
Name, license number, address, and signature of veterinarian who administered the vaccination
Since puppies must not be vaccinated against rabies until they are 3 months old, the youngest dog that can travel into the US is 4 months of age.

These requirements apply to all dogs, including service animals such as guide dogs for the blind.

If you’d like to request an exemption from these requirements, requests for confinement agreements will be be individually reviewed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and must be pre-approved before crossing the border into the United States. If you’re planning to travel with an unvaccinated dog, learn the steps you need to take to make sure your travel plans are not derailed.

Health Certificates

Like crossing into Canada, if your dog is healthy, you won’t need a health certificate for him to cross into the US. If there might be any question about his health, we recommend getting a health certificate from a veterinarian that states that his condition is not contagious.

Pet Food and Treats

Food products from Canada, including pet food containing beef, veal, bison, and cervid (e.g. deer, elk, moose, caribou etc.) are now permitted in passenger baggage. Products containing sheep, lamb, or goat will not be allowed entry. Food products should be commercially packaged and sealed with ingredients listed in English.

--------------
Be sure to read the blog - additional breed-specific info included.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have crossed the Canadian Border many times. New York 1000 island crossing, Eastport Maine, Seattle and have never been asked for dogs documents. The dog is in the truck barking the hole time speaking to the Border Agent on both side. Yes we have current up to date documents with us just in case.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Process to bring a dog over the USA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
We have crossed the Canadian Border many times. New York 1000 island crossing, Eastport Maine, Seattle and have never been asked for dogs documents. The dog is in the truck barking the hole time speaking to the Border Agent on both side. Yes we have current up to date documents with us just in case.

They develop a sense about this after a while on the border. Try crossing one time without up to date documents and I’ll bet they'll be on you like a drug sniffing dog on a spare tire full of marijuana.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We too have crossed the border many timesat many different crossings across the country and have never been asked for documentation on our dogs. I have been asked at campgrounds in the US. We always travel with copies of vaccination certificates.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have gone to Mexico with our dogs several times... Before we go we see our vet...they know what vaccinations are needed to go out of the country and not have any trouble getting back in, etc ... and they can issue a certificate of health that is good for a reasonable length of time. Our vet goes even further and makes a cool little Doggie Passport, takes a polaroid picture of the dogs. Too cool. On return to the US I think it depends on the agent you happen to get, how busy they are, what kind of day they've had, and what kind of mood they are in. We have never been asked for papers coming or going. But as sure as sin, the first time we tried it without, they'd ask.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
They develop a sense about this after a while on the border. Try crossing one time without up to date documents and I’ll bet they'll be on you like a drug sniffing dog on a spare tire full of marijuana.
Has that been a common problem for you...??
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Has that been a common problem for you...??

Never hurts to keep ol' Murphy in mind. You know, measure once, cut twice, or something....(only one time I cut it twice and it was STILL too short!).
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've been asked to produce the rabies certificate maybe 3 times when crossing into the US over the past decades. Once was clearly for a new agent in-training, and the other times they didn't actually want to see the certificate. Once we said we had it, they were good to go.

Sometimes the agents hand out dog biscuits.

People who travel with dogs probably know this, but we also travel with a record of other vaccinations. If we had to put the dog into a kennel due to some emergency, they would probably want proof of bordatella (kennel cough) vaccination.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #10
"In between RVs"

Louisville , Kentucky
It’s all been covered above. I have brought my pets I to the country from overseas and you need proof of current vaccinations and a valid health certificate. State restrictions vary.
Back2Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Haven't been asked about the dog for several years. But, 2 years ago, we were asked to prove we owned the Airstream! Now we carry a copy of the registration with us.....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Like many mentioned above, crossing between Canada and the USA has never resulted in my producing paperwork. However, I have been asked if I had it. An affirmative reply was met with a nod and passage.

I also travel with a full package of medical history kept in a folder that shows vaccinations, injuries, treatments, prescriptions, etc., for both my dogs. On two occasions I have had to made stops at a foreign veterinarian's for service and records are appreciated.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
When we crossed, the coach and vehicle were inspected. We were directed inside and the dogs were supposed to go to waiting kennels. We objected to the kennels and were allowed to carry and control the dogs, while we answered the agent's questions. Our dogs are less than 20lbs and there were folks with big dogs being processed at the same time. They were directed to the kennels.

Documents prepared for Canadian entry were available on request. No additional information was necessary for us.

Thanks for asking. If someone has had different experience we would appreciate knowing. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Process to Bring a Dog Over The USA

My research has shown all the answers that have been posted. I will like to know if anyone has had a problem with mixed breeds entering Canada? They have a no Pit Bull policy and can decide if a dog looks or has Pit Bull resemblance, therefore euthanise the dog. Both of my dogs a rescues and I am a little worried about that happening though they are not Pit Bull mix.
romaa.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
This post reminded me about something we learned last year in the Florida Keys.

If you are traveling there, be aware of this and discuss with your vet.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5fMFxhpAI880oH

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by romaa.13 View Post
My research has shown all the answers that have been posted. I will like to know if anyone has had a problem with mixed breeds entering Canada? They have a no Pit Bull policy and can decide if a dog looks or has Pit Bull resemblance, therefore euthanise the dog. Both of my dogs a rescues and I am a little worried about that happening though they are not Pit Bull mix.
Consider having your Veterinarian, on his stationary, certify the dogs breed and carry that document with you. Some municipalities have similar laws.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I took Lily in and out of Canada last year without any problem.

They didn’t ask to see her vaccination records, nor what kind of mixed breed she was.

Coming back into the US was more difficult than entering Canada, as I declared a list of produce, all purchased in the US several days before, but forgot to declare the bananas sitting in plain sight in the galley area.

My passport was taken, I was ordered into the building and the Interstate’s refrigerator, cabinets and closet were searched.

US Customs were rather rude and ridiculous, in my opinion, but I was told to take Lily with me on her leash, and did. There was no mention of kennels, and they didn’t seem at all interested in her.

It may have just been a slow day, with a need to exercise their officious-ness.

Search over, and passport returned, we were on our way.

I would be sure you have her immunization record, be pleasant and answer any questions and you should be fine.

Always be aware of who has weapons, and arrest powers.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Consider having your Veterinarian, on his stationary, certify the dogs breed and carry that document with you. Some municipalities have similar laws.
Minus a dna test, tho, how could the vet certify the breed?

It has been suggested to me that I have Lily’s dna tested, but I prefer to be able to just honestly say that she is a Lab mix.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by romaa.13 View Post
I have not heard of that policy. I assume they would give the option of keeping the dog and turning around???
Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I have not heard of that policy. I assume they would give the option of keeping the dog and turning around???
Information found here through the links, but nothing on giving the pet owner the chance to turn around which was my worry.

https://blog.gopetfriendly.com/takin...dog-to-canada/
romaa.13 is offline   Reply With Quote