Old 05-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by Michael Ough View Post
Do we prepare differently. We have been on the road for almost 2 years and one of our favourite experiences is not to plan ,just be spontaneous. Ask others for local insights ,discuss the options and go or stay and go later.
What's a reservation?
Try it you may be very pleased by the unexpected joy of the unexpected

For many years on our camping trips my preference was to go with no reservations and that allowed us to be totally flexible during the trip.

Generally we don't just have one destination on our trips but stop at two or three places for a few weeks each.

But in recent years we have found that when we head south on our annual snowbird trip it has become more an more difficult to do things that way.

It gets frustrating trying campground after campground and being turned away - or maybe getting in, but being told we must change sites once or twice during our stay to be able to stay for the period we want.

So for our last two winter trips I have tried making reservations ahead for our whole trip.

Of course there are pros and cons, and I did enjoy the gypsy way of doing things, but it is also nice and relaxing not to worry about where (and if) we will find a place without a lot of hassle at our next stop and to know there is a site reserved and waiting for us!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Back Road Cry Baby...

There are trips that are so exhausting, so time consuming, so difficult to manage to stay on the flattest part of a back country road... just a real living Hell... my wife takes care of her big... Big Cry Baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0012.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	239391  

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2009 23' Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
As newbies planning first long haul, I was inspired to plan out our route with less emphasis on speed and more on seeing America through the eyes of the settlers. Unfortunate that I did not find much that told me what the land was called or how it was used by the true First Americans, but I hope to find history before white man more available on a state to state basis. America is a great country, I love it. My dad fought in WWII, one brother in Korea, one a Nam Vet, a sister, a Wave. But let's not forget the price paid for our beautiful country, and let's not glaze over the truth to the young ones!
Brooklyn Boy & Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:33 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Those small, local museums and historical centers are a great way to learn about any area you are passing thru.

Not too much into "planning", other than by general direction , we would pick up a paper map at a state's visitor center, then pore over it to highlight archeological and historical points of interest noted on them.....then go from there in terms of routing.

We subscribed to the idea of keeping the Interstate stocked with basics all season, then just loading clothes and food when we were ready to leave.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote