Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Preheating trailer while driving

This may sound like a dumb question but we would like to do some cold weather traveling this week and would like to arrive at our destination with a warm trailer and a cold fridge. Can we run the furnace and the fridge while traveling? Is this safe to do? Thanks in advance
Dan
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We routinely run our fridge on propane while towing...we have not used the furnace while towing, but I know there are those who do in cold weather... I would have no qualms about doing that if I thought it was really that cold.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
We run our fridge on propane all the time while traveling.

I occasionally run the furnace if I drive during freezing weather. I do this only to keep the plumbing from freezing when not winterized, when traveling between camping spots. The furnace will use a lot of propane while driving because of the windchill, so I set the thermostat really low.

If you do travel with anything fired up, make sure you turn the propane off prior to pulling in to the gas station for fuel. Any fumes or spilled gasoline could get set on fire by the furnace or fridge if they come on at the wrong time.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
This may sound like a dumb question but we would like to do some cold weather traveling this week and would like to arrive at our destination with a warm trailer and a cold fridge. Can we run the furnace and the fridge while traveling? Is this safe to do? Thanks in advance
Dan
Yes, you can run the furnace, while the trailer is in motion.

If it's freezing, set the thermostat to about 50 degrees.

That will keep anything in the trailer from freezing, except of course the freezer in the reefer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I always run with my refrigerator on propane, maybe 200,000 miles of towing over the years. I have also run the furnace while towing with no problems, but yes, they will use a lot of propane as there is a lot more heat loss with the 50-60 mph "wind" against the rig, plus the increased air leakage. But still nice to open up to a semi warm space.

I have had luck with the automatic ignition hot water heaters on when towing, but not the ones with a pilot light. It seems to depend very much on just where it is placed on the rig, some places seem to have air currents which put them out, some will stay lit ok.

On the AS motorhomes the second heater which operates from the engine heat is very nice too, keeps the whole rig toasty when used along with the front heater. Too bad there is no way to do that with a trailer without a real plumbing nightmare.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Well this is kind of related to the topic:

I remember growing up around 9 years old (my parents had 6 Airstreams) we would leave on Friday evening as soon as my dad got home in So Cal. My mother would start cooking something (meatloaf maybe) in the oven when we left and we would eat when we got there about 2-3 hours later.

I don't remember much about how she secured it or the mess but I was only interested in eating the meal at that age.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by casarodante View Post
Well this is kind of related to the topic:

I remember growing up around 9 years old (my parents had 6 Airstreams) we would leave on Friday evening as soon as my dad got home in So Cal. My mother would start cooking something (meatloaf maybe) in the oven when we left and we would eat when we got there about 2-3 hours later.

I don't remember much about how she secured it or the mess but I was only interested in eating the meal at that age.
Was your mother Lucille Ball by any chance?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
If you're not traveling in freezing temperatures but only want the trailer warm at your destination, a compromise on propane usage would be to turn on the furnace 30 or so miles from your destination. That should knock off the chill even if the trailer isn't fully up to your desired temp.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Was your mother Lucille Ball by any chance?
Not exactly. She never was in the trailer while moving...
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
preheating trailer, propane