Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Dawg, don't listen to the nay sayers. Yellowstone & Grand Tetons are 2 of our favorite places, and we travel there from Vermont almost every year with our 27ft. AS. The only time we come up from the south is when we are coming from Rocky Mountain National Park (another favorite of our's). We head up I-25 to I-80 west to Rawlins and 287 north. We get to Dubois the first day out of RMNP. 287 is mostly flat with some rolling hills - VERY arid terrain. No big deal for 6.7 liter diesel (that's what we have too). Next day we're in the Tetons and camping at Colter Bay. This year we will not be going to RMNP so we will be coming into YS from Cody (a real fun town). We'll be staying in the Tetons for 2 weeks before heading to YS for another week. Now, if you're a "drive-by" tourist and just want views, both Tetons and YS are beautiful to see at a distance, and then go home. For us, it's all about getting in touch with nature and being surrounded by some of the most beautiful terrain in the world. I like what one of the other people said above - if you get up early and get out hiking, and just hike a couple hundred yards away from the parking lots, you will see very few people. The hiking trails in both locations are astonishing. Then there's always kayaking, canoeing, rafting, horseback riding, fishing, etc. etc. If I had to vacation to only one place for the rest of my life, it would be camping next to Jackson Lake in the Tetons. The drive from the Tetons to YS is relatively easy. Be sure to get camping reservations at both locations as soon as possible.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Now, the down side. The Tetons are cool, but there's not much to do. "There they are." "Yep, big".

Wow! Beautiful scenery, loads of hiking opportunities, abundant wildlife, fishing, kayaking, rafting, great bike trails, fablous restaurants in town, art galleries, waterfalls, local music scene, hot springs...

What a boring place to be with not much to do.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I did it a while back using hwy 191 and 189 from I-80. There were no crazy mountain passes that way, just rolling hills. (driving a 40' MH + trailer) I haven't done the other ways mentioned, but I found Wyoming to be less dramatic driving than Colorado, by a wide margin.
Don't overlook Jackson Hole. It's a fun town and very scenic. Don't miss the Museum of Western Art. I'm not a tea and crumpets guy, and I LOVED it. Eat there too. All made fresh using local meats and veggies. Suburb.

Now, the down side. The Tetons are cool, but there's not much to do. "There they are." "Yep, big".

Now the big downer, Yellowstone in August is a madhouse.
The wildlife runs away to the mountains and the traffic, road construction, tour busses, crowded boardwalks, killed it for me.
Seriously " Not much to do" . REALLY !!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
Dawg, don't listen to the nay sayers. Yellowstone & Grand Tetons are 2 of our favorite places, and we travel there from Vermont almost every year with our 27ft. AS. The only time we come up from the south is when we are coming from Rocky Mountain National Park (another favorite of our's). We head up I-25 to I-80 west to Rawlins and 287 north. We get to Dubois the first day out of RMNP. 287 is mostly flat with some rolling hills - VERY arid terrain. No big deal for 6.7 liter diesel (that's what we have too). Next day we're in the Tetons and camping at Colter Bay. This year we will not be going to RMNP so we will be coming into YS from Cody (a real fun town). We'll be staying in the Tetons for 2 weeks before heading to YS for another week. Now, if you're a "drive-by" tourist and just want views, both Tetons and YS are beautiful to see at a distance, and then go home. For us, it's all about getting in touch with nature and being surrounded by some of the most beautiful terrain in the world. I like what one of the other people said above - if you get up early and get out hiking, and just hike a couple hundred yards away from the parking lots, you will see very few people. The hiking trails in both locations are astonishing. Then there's always kayaking, canoeing, rafting, horseback riding, fishing, etc. etc. If I had to vacation to only one place for the rest of my life, it would be camping next to Jackson Lake in the Tetons. The drive from the Tetons to YS is relatively easy. Be sure to get camping reservations at both locations as soon as possible.

Coming up I-25 thru Colorado. Hitting Sand Dunes NP and RMNP. Few days in Cheyenne then following your route west on I-80 to Rawlins then 287 north. Overnight at Dubois KOA before 5 nights at Colter Bay GTNP followed by 7 nights at Fishing Bridge. We actually had 10 nights in Yellowstone but they are closing fishing bridge early for road construction. We are the last ones out of fishing bridge. Planning on getting early starts as much as possible. Still debating route home from yellowstone but definitely hitting badlands, mt. Rushmore and devils tower along the way home. Would you recommend going thru Cody or head north out of yellowstone and taking I-90 east!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Dawg View Post
Looking for advice on the most scenic route going to Grand Teton and then Yellowstone..... Via Hwy. 287 from Rawlins or via Hwy 26 from Casper. First real mountain driving for me towing a 27FB with a 2017 Ford Diesel 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel. Making the trip late August.
i made the trip from Rawlins to Lander and then after two nights in Lander, to the Tetons and Yellowstone Bridge Bay Campground (I reserved in February and it was a good thing since there would have been no getting in on 14 August without reservations.

My Tundra 5.7 pulled my 22 foot Safari without any problems, so a diesel with a 27 foot trailer won't be a problem either.

The scenery was very nice, and the stretch from Lander to Yellowstone was exceptionally beautiful. I can't speak for route 26, but they marry up before you get to the Tetons, so I guess the best route may depend on where you are coming from. There is a Flying J at Cheyenne and another just past the turn at Rawlins (I went the extra few miles and then went back east to get 287 but probably could have cut through town.

Have a great trip!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The last two summers were busy right through mid-September but they were unusual years. 2016 was the centennial of the park Service and heavily advertised.

Last year was the solar eclipse, which really pushed our numbers up.

This year should see our visitation drop to a more normal level, especially with the proposed increase in the gate fee.

Other than the past two years, the Park is fine to visit anytime other than late June to early August.

To beat the crowds, get up early and get some hiking, boating, sightseeing in, then siesta between 1100 and 1500' , then get back out there until dusk.
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
-- snip -- but they were unusual years. -- snip -- visitation drop to a more normal level -- snip --
Now that is almost enough incentive to try another visit. The folks we talked to said that normally after Labor Day the park had lower occupancy. They said the reason we saw so many visitors was because all the fires pushed folks to Yellowstone when the others closed. Yes, might just work. Just might be a fantastic opportunity.

Be sure to report how it goes. Pat
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Good point. When Glacier was pretty much mostly closed, we got a lot of "drop-ins".
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Wow! Beautiful scenery, loads of hiking opportunities, abundant wildlife, fishing, kayaking, rafting, great bike trails, fablous restaurants in town, art galleries, waterfalls, local music scene, hot springs...

What a boring place to be with not much to do.
If you read my post before condemning me, I loved Jackson, and Jackson Hole. My, "There they are." comment was aimed more to the fact there are no roads to drive up over the Tetons. I'd recommend driving into Idaho and exploring the back side too! Check out the Moose reserve (although the only moose I saw was when I didn't bring my camera.)
There's lots to do, but the Tetons are so vertical, if you plan on driving over them, you won't.
Here I was:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tetons.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	302338  
Old 01-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Yellowstone!

Try to do the Yellowstone trip BEFORE July 4th. We absolutely enjoyed our visit during the cool (chilly) and uncrowded June. Did Montana and then stopped back to Yellowstone on the Fourth, and the crowds had landed. Traffic jams, crowded lodging, few animals, and it got hot and sweaty during the day.
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Lander , Wyoming
287 between Rawlins and Lander crosses the Oregon Trail and the Pony Express Route, which is pretty cool if you enjoy studying American history. First, north of Rawlins 287 crosses the Great Basin, an area that drains to no ocean. You will cross the continental divide twice, both entering and exiting the Basin. After Muddy Gap the road passes Spilt Rock, which was a landmark the wagon trains could see for over 50 miles as they came west. Soon the Sweetwater River parallels the road, which the pioneer trails followed. At Sweetwater Junction the Oregon Trail crosses the road and continues west over the divide at South Pass on Highway 28. Watch for the Ice Slough, which is a marshy area along a stream in which the pioneers actually found ice buried under the peat in the middle of the summer. There is a rest area at Sweetwater Junction, and inside is a bulletin board showing places nearby where you can still find wagon ruts, old pioneer campsites, etc.

Lander is indeed a pretty cool town. Itís a great place to stop for lunch and walk around the shops on Main Street. Butch Cassidy lived in Lander before he was put in prison in Laramie for stealing horses.

Before you get to Teton NP you will cross Togwotee Pass (pronounced Toe-gut-ee). Keep an eye out because the Pass is a great place to see wildlife, including grizzlies.

Before you make the trip I recommend you download the WYDOT app for road conditions. Wind and weather can impact various Wyoming roads at almost any time of the year. Believe the app if it says a road is closed to light, high profile vehicles due to high wind. WYDOT does not exaggerate conditions. Even though Airstreams are very aerodynamic, you do not want these winds rolling for trailer.