Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 34
Red face Power panel burned up

Hello,
For about the last two months I have lived in my AS helping my son at Starkville MS. About two weeks into the venture with the outside temp in the 90's I went to the camper and approaching it did not hear the AC running. Went inside and could smell something that had burned or was still burning.
After inspection found that the neutral wire had burned into inside the power panel. With the help of my son we got the cable that feeds the power into the camper and cut it off about 6 inches. Hooked everything back up except the AC and turned on the power and everything seemed to be ok. Checked across the AC feed with multimeter and found no short on wire.
Went to the power panel to remove the main breaker and when I did everything in the power panel fell apart. The only answer was to replace the power panel and breakers. Could not find a replacement at a local electric supply house. Went by Lowe's and "BEHOLD" they had almost the exact panel on the shelf. Purchased the panel and correct size breakers and replaced early the next morning before it got to hot. Everything worked fine except unable to use GFCI breaker where the book called for it. The old panel did not have one either in this spot. Sure was good to enjoy the AC again.
Felix B
__________________

__________________
Katman104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Nice going. I would have melted, along with the panel after finding this situation. Stay cool!
Laura
__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
68 TWind's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,420
Could you have had a lighting strike? We have has some real fireworks up here in Oxford the past few weeks?
__________________
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Could you have had a lighting strike? We have has some real fireworks up here in Oxford the past few weeks?
That was my first thought but the AS was within 100 feet of where I was working and not a cloud in the sky that day.
__________________
Katman104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
burned Airstream!!! mickeymoose Airstream "In the News" 10 10-11-2009 07:50 PM
HELP: shorted out control panel and now no power purman Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 5 06-26-2009 03:33 PM
Brake Lights LED Burned Out? campadk Lights - Interior & Exterior 10 06-29-2007 09:45 PM
AC Power Light on Control Panel? 66Overlander Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 8 10-20-2005 09:13 PM
Burned 4 way light switch Ferroequine Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 1 08-06-2004 10:56 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.