Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
Part of being fully self-contained is to carry a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter with you.

Compared to inconvenience, cost of a pig-tail adapter is minimal.

Tom
I agree, cost is low and takes up minimal space. However I have only encountered 2 RV parks over the last few years and they catered to mostly big motorhomes.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Bend Radius of Surge Guard

Here is another great reason:
If you use a Surge Guard Protector that is built as a big plastic enclosure with a stub plug in the top, the stub plug is on a stiff cord coming out the top. Several sites have had a metal wiring box directly under the 30/50 outlet box
causing the Surge Guard to sit out from the outlet with a tight bend radius on the plug that goes into the 30 amp outlet. The cable is stiff enough that the plug is under pressure to pull out just enough for the plug ground to disconnect.
The 50-30 pigtail allows for an easy bend radius when plugged into the adjacent 50 amp outlet and avoids the disconnect effect in the 30 amp outlet.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I always use the 50 amp outlet if there is one even though my AS is only 30 amp. I've have 30 amp pedestals blow a breaker if the AC and microwave or electric water heater are running. That doesn't happen with the 50 amp and all circuits are still protected by the breakers in the AS.

That's why I carry a 50 to 30 amp adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Beachville , Ontario
50- 30 amp

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It is obvious that an adapter is a good addition to the kit.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
i have never seen 50 amp only. I think the only time you might see that is if a park is full except for the most expensive area that generally only services the big motorcoaches
Old 10-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Some RV parks have worn out 30A outlets that will burn your neutral off." Just today I helped another man with that very problem. He mentioned that the 30A plug looked damaged, so I took a look. It was - partially melted/burned. I suggested that he either find a different spot OR use a 50 to 30 pigtail. He thought he had one, dug around for a minute, and found it. He plugged in with that and all was fine.

Our MH normally uses 50A service, but I have both a 50 to 30 pigtail and a 30 to 50 pigtail. Why? In case a neighbor needs the 50 to 30 one (left over from our 30A mpg).
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Last year I was in central Florida and stayed at a park that had an electrical box with 30 and 50 amp service outlets and circuit breakers. I plugged into the 30 amp and waited for some time. I could not get power. At first I thought it was something wrong with the trailer's power. Ended up that the outlet did not work. I tried the breakers and it made no difference. Then I tried the 50 amp service with my adapter and it worked just fine. I am glad I had the adapter. Adapters are great to have. I use the 120v to 30 amp often as well for various uses.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
I have not been in that many different parks but actually did find one that only had 50 amp service. It was a small remote place and I was forced to pay double the actual cost of the converter because the alternative was to drive several more hours to a bigger park in a larger community. Just before I bought the converter, another RVer offered to loan me his for the night. I learned my lesson and at the next opportunity, purchased a pigtail to keep with me. Some things may not be needed ALL the time but it sure makes life easier if you have them when you need them. Remember the Cowboy Six-Gun Law: "It's better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it."