Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Possible road trip from South Mississippi to Oregon.

I am not looking forwarded to it but I might have to take a road trip from the Mississippi Gulf Coast to Eugene, OR. to pick up a trailer. This is certainly not the best time of year to do this but the trailer is there and I am here. I would appreciate any route suggestions. Roads to take and roads/passes to avoid. I have Googled the route and I know I will not be able to avoid all the high passes. At least the tow would be one way as I hope to have current trailer sold in the next few days.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I'd go through Flagstaff on Route 40 to Route 58 to Bakersfield up CA Route 99 to I5 in Sacramento to Eugene. This way you avoid the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada's. Flagstaff is high but rarely a problem.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
K, that was one of the routes I was looking at. The other was more north going thru Oklahoma and Salt Lake City and over. Going west and then up is a couple of hundred miles shorter and less mountains. Time might be an issue going but coming back I can more take my time. I would like to be back in time for Canopener (got to show off the new trailer). I need to find an inspector in the Eugene area, but not having much luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Honesty, its been so dry here CA/NV/AZ you can cross any of the passes with ease. They're all dry.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks, hopefully the sale of my trailer will happen. Still hate to make that long a drive without some prior inspection.

###If there is anyone out there that would be available to do an inspection in Eugene, OR I would like to hear from you. I have sent several request to members on the inspectors list and have not heard anything back.###

Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Weather can change overnight during this time of year. A few weeks ago, we were at Lake Mead, and daytime temperatures were in the mid-70's. A week later, it snowed on the Las Vegas strip.

The southern route, mostly following I-10 to LA, then I-5 to Oregon, will avoid nearly all chances of snow; and it only adds about 100 miles. While this is mostly boring Interstate highways, it is probably the quickest route, and the least affected by bad weather.

Please advise if you decide to take this route, as many can suggest slight detours to avoid LA traffic.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yep, Weather is my biggest worry. 2600 miles one way is a long drive no mater how you look at it. Once upon a time I would think nothing about making a non-stop drive cross country just to catch a concert. Those days are long past. My driving days are much shorter now, especially when towing. I used to live in San Jose and dreaded heading south thru LA. Catch it at the wrong time of day and it can get pretty nasty.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I used to bypass LA via Edwards AFB / Buttonwillow when hauling loads from Greenville, MS to Oakland, CA.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
You could have the owner drop it at Sutton RV and pay them to check out and test all systems before you get there....

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mojo, it is actually already at Suttons. They took it in on trade. Really would like someone else to take a look at it but still having no luck with that.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Sutton's are a VERY reputable outfit. I would do the I-10 or I-40 to I-5. Someone mentioned using Hwy 99 for part of it and that wouldn't be a bad idea. You will get some mountain driving from Redding CA to Medford OR. Nothing too difficult. Just some steep grades and curvy roads.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
I would also recommend the southerly route this time of year. But as Phoenix mentioned, things change quickly. Just a week and a half ago Hwy 58 from Barstow to Bakersfield (my recommended route) was closed along with I-5 at the Grapevine due to snow. I would highly recommend taking Hwy 46 north of Bakersfield over to I-5 for the trip up the Central Valley. Hwy 99's road surface is much worse in areas and the traffic is much worse as well. You are lucky that we have gotten very little snow this year. Just keep in mind that, if a storm does blow up, I-5 in the Mt. Shasta area and the Siskiyou mountain area can get very dicey.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Does not look like the trip is going to happen any time soon. I am not having much luck selling my current trailer. Bellieve it or not I am getting the same sort of scammers off of the ad here as I did on craigslist. Makes me sad to think about it.