Old 03-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Portland, OR to Reno this week

Hi all,
Heading out later this week for Reno and the obvious route across the Sierras does not look promising. Plan to head up the gorge to The Dalles and then down through Bend and head into Reno from the North on Route 395 skirting Susanville. Routing is not territory I've traveled, but looks like the best option but am wondering if veering further east to Winamuca to come in on I-80 might be more prudent. Can anyone familiar with eastern Oregon/northern Nevada add two cents about the terrain? Expecting wet, but don't want to be surprised by a chain-up section.

Thanks in advance, Al & Robin

2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2011 F250 XLT 6.2L FlexFuel SD, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Lynn

2005 25' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
Took trip to Reno via hwy 97 down through Klamath Falls connecting to 395 2 yrs ago with no problems although went across to 97 via 58. Planning on going down to Reno next week cutting over at Red Bluff depending on weather conditions. May take 97 route again. Keep eye on Oregon and California DOT cameras for the latest road conditions.

Lynn

Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
. . .
Is there some reason not to head south on I-5 through Redding, turn east on 20 at Williams (a little north of Sacramento), then continue east on 20 through Yuba City and Grass Valley, then take I-80 east to Reno?

Starting your eastward jaunt at Red Bluff on 99 to Yuba City, then get on 20, might save a few miles, but probably not much time if you are hauling along on I-5 IMO . . .

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- Guessing that weather/snow is the hitch here, what with your chain comment? Snow on I-80 in the forecast maybe -- what is your timing? The forecast doesn't look all that bad, but maybe you have more specific info. . . .

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ren...weather/329507

Going south on I-5, and thus west of all the Sierras until the last possible moment will minimize your exposure to snow IMO, and I-80 is one of the most well-plowed east/west crossings IMO.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Is there some reason not to head south on I-5 through Redding, turn east on 20 at Williams (a little north of Sacramento), then continue east on 20 through Yuba City and Grass Valley, then take I-80 east to Reno?

Starting your eastward jaunt at Red Bluff on 99 to Yuba City, then get on 20, might save a few miles, but probably not much time if you are hauling along on I-5 IMO . . .

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- Guessing that weather/snow is the hitch here, what with your chain comment? Snow on I-80 in the forecast maybe -- what is your timing? The forecast doesn't look all that bad, but maybe you have more specific info. . . .

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ren...weather/329507

Going south on I-5, and thus west of all the Sierras until the last possible moment will minimize your exposure to snow IMO, and I-80 is one of the most well-plowed east/west crossings IMO.

I agree, I80 will without a doubt be less impacted by snow than ANY other route mentioned. Just wait around Sac or Auburn if there are chain controls until they clear.
I live in Sparks and travel all of these routes regularly.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
Old 03-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
Hwy 97 /197'.

Hi having made that trip many times,, coming east to 97 is out of your way, although the weather over here is better than over 58' ( Eugene to 97 ) once on 97 if you stay on it you still wind up going over the mountains twice,, hit K falls , then head to Susanville. One question is why one would traverse the entire state to get to Winnemucca then backtracking over half of the distance? Just to avoid a little snow. If that scares you then please for the sake of all delay your trip. ( Former fuel transport driver here) Doesn't make a lot of sense there. Yes this time of year and with the record snowfall in the Sierra Nevada range would worry me, if I was scared of chaining up. To that end please understand I have in excess of 1,000,000 miles under my butt. With no reportable accidents. So I may be jaded to some of the idiotic things I have seen. Short answer. 84 to the Biggs jct, 97 to Klamath falls , then off to Susanville then to Reno, you will find slick roads in March in early morning, then as the sun goes down, just be prepared. Nuff said. Beside that if the weather gets crappy, pull over fire up the furnace , make some coffee, get out a book and enjoy your tin can😜
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
[Alamcate; Portland, OR to Reno this week]

Alamcate, I had a similar dilemma a couple of months ago as our departure for San Diego approached and the OR advisories were in effect.

http://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?curRegion=8

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

We currently reside in Eugene, but I grew up in Northern California. Personally I would take I5 to just past Weed and exit 89 to Susanville via 44, then S to Reno Reno…as they advertise. I have in-laws in Reno and travel this road often. It’s in good shape and only one short section past Old Station where there is a grade and a few switchbacks. The truckers follow this path as well so it is generally clear. There is a great rest stop just short of Susanville. BTW great trout fishing at Hat Creek just N of Old Station.

There are two areas to be mindful though. The first is Siskiyou pass at the OR/CA border and is general open, but sometime with chains. That one is obvious. The second, starting at Weed in the Black Butte/Castle Crags section of I-5 isn’t really a pass in the true sense but can create it’s own weather. Folks think, I made it over Siskiyou…all clear ahead. Just watch the weather and be prepared to sit for a time if the weather changes.

I prefer the I-5 to 97/44 route as opposed to I-5 to HWY 58 Willamette Pass, which is a very low pass. To me, 97 S thru Klamath Falls and eventually to Susanville, is less much less picturesque than 89/44 to Susanville.

Safe Journey and enjoy Cascades & Sierras.

Bob

p.s. to reiterate…[FunyFarm you will find slick roads in March in early morning, then as the sun goes down, just be prepared. Nuff said] emphasis added
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Almcate, we do what CruisinDux does (love that name!) Portland I-5 -> Weed -> #89 & #44 -> Susanville -> #395 -> Reno. Check the Siskiyou Summit forecast before you commit, which isn't hard to do online, along with Cal Trans for CA highways. If you need to wait out a plowing of the Siskiyous, Ashland, OR is a wonderful town to hang out in for a night. Emigrant Lake campground is a nice place to layover outside of Ashland. Have a great trip whichever route you choose!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post
Hi all,
Heading out later this week for Reno
. . .
As you get ready to leave, the actual weather will show you the best route, as per this moving radar:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/nor...r-radar?play=1

If snow prevents going east on 89/44 just after Weed per CruizinDux, you can continue south on I-5 and end up going east on I-80 per my earlier post. I still feel that the I-80 option is the best bet as it minimizes your time at higher elevations, even though the snow can be intense at the Donner Summit pass just west of Truckee.

The Truckee monthly forecast does show some action for this coming weekend:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/tru...weather/337279

At least the daily highs are forecast to be around 40 F.

Have a great trip!

Peter
Old 03-09-2016, 01:50 AM   #9

Litchfield , California
We live in The Susanville area. Checking out local weather you are good through here. I would either go through Hatcreek out of Redding or down through Klamath Falls on 395 south. If snow is forecast when you to Redding just wait awhile and keep an eye on Cal trams cameras. They have cameras along the way and you can see real time photos. Just search for Cal Trans cameras. Have a safe trip!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Alamcate, just a reminder, the Oregon and Ca links are in post # 6. There are plenty on I5 even one at the 89 turn off to Susanville. You'd have to check the CalTrans link for cameras (if an) on 89. I don't recollect any & there may be just road conditions reported.

Safe journey
bob

p.s. check back often as conditions change and also cameras are sometimes not operational