Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Portland, OR rec's?

Hi,
I am attending the Solar Energy Conference in downtown Portland in mid-July (9-14th) and wondered if there were any RV parks in close proximity to downtown. I am considering staying in my Safari and saving $100/nite. If it's too much hassle I won't bother, but if there were a nice park near downtown it might be workable. Then I could head out to the coast afterwards!

Thanks,

john
Old 06-02-2004, 05:11 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Actually I live too close to recommend any parks, but I thought I'd mention that you can stay anywhere from Beaverton to Gresham and easily get into downtown using the lightrail 'MAX' system. There are park-n-rides scattered all over the area. So that probably opens up your possibilities somewhat.

Why on earth are they having a Solar Energy Conference in Portland?!?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
nice city

>>Why on earth are they having a Solar Energy Conference in Portland?!?<<

Um, cause it's a nice place to have a conference?

It is the national ASES conference and is held in a different city each year. Solar is viable in Western Oregon with newer technologies for both PV and solar thermal (hot water), and there is lots of wind power in the Gorge, which fits into the renewable category. And of course Eastern Oregon and Washington are drowning in sunshine as is most of the Western US.

Thanks for the tip on the light rail.

john
Old 06-02-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hey John,
I live in SoCal, but just went to Western Washington State to piuck up my brand new to me heap of a 1963 Overlander. Which took me thorough the entire state or Oregon.
There are more RV parks in that area than I have ever seen in my life! It seems that every other exit has an RV park listed. Should be no problem to find a place convenient for you.
The Trailer life directory has several pages on Portland alone. Invest in the book, make a few calls, and have a blast.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
John,

I stay at Portland Fairview RV Park everytime I come to Portland. Easy on/off from I84. You could take the MAX into downtown or about 15 min via I84.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #6
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
John -
Portland is indeed a nice city, a bit ahead of the curve on environmental issues. I'm not aware of anything wonderful near town for parking a trailer. I've stayed at Oxbox CG on the east side of town, on the Sandy River. It was very tight for my 29' Excella, but I'll bet not a problem for a 23' Safari. It's 45 min east of PDX, and sites are first-come-first-served, no reservations available. The setting is deep in mature forest, without water, 110 volts, or sewer hookups. The tree cover would make solar minimally effective. Take a look at http://www.metro-region.org/article.cfm?ArticleID=150 for more information. There may well be better alternatives, but I'm relatively new with the trailer and haven't spent much time locally.
If you the head for the coast, look at Ft Stevens State Park in Astoria - a wonderful piece of real estate and pertinent to the 200th year celebration of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Please let me know if I can offer any help - I'm in Hillsboro, 20 miles SW of PDX.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:46 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hey, I was just joshing with ya

You know, we're always joking about how much rain we get, never seeing the sun, etc. Strikes me as funny to have a Solar conference here. Seems like it should be in Arizona or something!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Smile tanks a lot!

Hey, great suggestions, thanks everyone.

Looks like there are lots of options. Mark and Big Dee, those both look great! I'll probably spend a few days at each for variety. Thanks for the links. I have been to Portland several times as a business traveler over the past 10 years but your perspective changes completely with an RV. And Uwe, I will pick up a directory tomorrow - good idea.

Stef, I know you were kidding - it's all part of the Northwesterner's trying to keep us fooled so we don't move up there....uh-huh, always raining, huh?

john
Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Smile RV parking in Portland

Washington County Fairgrounds has about a dozen RV sites with Water and electric. It is located south of the Hillsboro regional airport. You can walk to the Max light rail station from the site.

Ernie and Jan
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote