Old 01-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Portable waste disposal-Blue Boy

I got a Tot-n-Stor (AKA Blue Boy) earlier this year, this is the first time I've tried to use it. Our gray/black discharge pipe is pretty low to the ground. The opening of the disposal is just as high or even slightly higher than the discharge. I managed to turn it on its side and got about 5-6 gallons to drain but then it leveled out and nothing more drained. (The pipe was full and that was fun to empty. Close gray valve, unhook and raise the end ASAP.)

The camping spot is pretty level, not really a way to move the disposal down lower without connecting 2-3 slinkies. Even if I do that, it still may not be low enough.

I was wondering how others are able to use their unit. Is there a trick I'm missing? I thought about lowering the front as far as it will go, will that do it?

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We purchased one of these Flojet macerators for pumping out when at home. It also works into a Blueboy.
The other brand (the dark grey tank) has an inlet that is lower and works better in a gravity dump situation for our Airstream but we now just bring the Flojet along.
A word of warning about e Flojet, never run it dry, it has a rubber impeller that will disintegrate if you do. It can be repaired as the impeller is commonly available in marine stores but there is no reason to run it dry if you pay attention.

http://www.amazon.com/Flojet-1855500...=Rv++macerator

Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Thanks for bringing this up Rich. I just purchased a Tote-N-Stor, but hadn't used it yet. I just took it over to the trailer in storage to check the height, and I think I am okay. The opening for the disposal is slightly lower than the discharge tube, and I only plan to use it for grey water. In my case it's the 15 gallon Tote-N-Stor. Is yours one of the larger ones?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I only use the Blue Boy for grey water. The garden hose fitting on the end cap is the same height as the top of the Blue Boy. It also has a garden hose sized vent fitting. I put a brass 90 degree fitting on the vent and hook up a short (3') home made double female end garden hose between the end cap's fitting and the vent fitting. Grey water will flow through a garden hose just fine. I use a vented 3" cap on the bayonet fitting to let the air out.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Thanks for bringing this up Rich. I just purchased a Tote-N-Stor, but hadn't used it yet. I just took it over to the trailer in storage to check the height, and I think I am okay. The opening for the disposal is slightly lower than the discharge tube, and I only plan to use it for grey water. In my case it's the 15 gallon Tote-N-Stor. Is yours one of the larger ones?
That's what I have, the 15 gallon. I figure if I can get that much out I'm good and I'm going to use it only for gray water. We're at this camp for 8 days and just taking off those few gallons helped, I think we can make it til the morning.

Mine seemed ok at the storage lot too, but when I got here at the camp, the slightest little hill puts it above the outlet and there's not enough slope or slinky for me to put it on the other side of the AS. I'd have to go about 5-10' on the opposite side. I think I'll go over to Walmart this week and pick up some more sections

I have seen people pull these with their cars but I saw one guy go by, pulling his with some kind of hookup on his bicycle. If I see him again I'm going to flag him down and see how he did it. It looks something like this but it wasn't a trailer, just the Tote-n-Stor

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 01-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
sounds like you do not have an end cap with the garden hose fitting. you need to get one. I have a 25' black garden hose that is only used for dumping the grey tank. usually you can find a lower place within 25' to use the blue boy.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
I only use the Blue Boy for grey water. The garden hose fitting on the end cap is the same height as the top of the Blue Boy. It also has a garden hose sized vent fitting. I put a brass 90 degree fitting on the vent and hook up a short (3') home made double female end garden hose between the end cap's fitting and the vent fitting. Grey water will flow through a garden hose just fine. I use a vented 3" cap on the bayonet fitting to let the air out.
Using a garden hose may be the answer. I have some with me and I can try running the hose under the trailer. I might be able to put the hose down inside for an extra couple of inches. Thanks!

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Try lowering the power jack on the front which will raise the trailer rear. Be sure to raise the leveling jacks first

Dennis
Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis3751 View Post
Try lowering the power jack on the front which will raise the trailer rear. Be sure to raise the leveling jacks first

Dennis
I've left the jacks down a couple of times but caught my mistake before any damage. I'll try dropping the nose, every inch will help.

Thanks

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 01-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Garden hose and a drill powered pump will get your gray water into your tank.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Is it better to get a 15gal size and make multiple trips to dump station vs a 25g size. Even 15 gal is 125lbs. I'm not even sure I could lift it high enough to get the tow bar on the receiver ball.

I'm not sure the design with the small front wheels would stand up to gravel or rough campsite roads.

Kelvin
Old 01-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is it better to get a 15gal size and make multiple trips to dump station vs a 25g size. Even 15 gal is 125lbs. I'm not even sure I could lift it high enough to get the tow bar on the receiver ball.

I'm not sure the design with the small front wheels would stand up to gravel or rough campsite roads.

Kelvin

Now that's a good point right there.

Thank you.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I believe ours is a 24-26 gal. I would not try to lift it. The only thing you need to do is lift the one end up with bracket and put it over the hitch ball. I've used it on gravel, pavement and sand with no problems. You just need to go slow! The one nice thing about our size is it fits perfect between the propane cover and the trailer.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Portable waste disposal-Blue Boy

I have a 25 gallon with the front wheels on the corners. I don't have to lift it to empty it or connect it to my tow ball. The out flow pipe rotates into position so the tank can be easily emptied. If you follow the manufacturer's instructions related to tow speed you won't have any issues. I have this one:

http://www.adventurerv.net/gallon-po...l-p-29939.html