Old 01-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
So here's how it went. I do have the hose adapter on the terminal cap and the 15 gallon Tote-n-Stor came with a shorty female to female adapter, but I didn't discover that until later.

I raised the stabilizers and dropped the nose on the AS. I put the hose on the terminal cap 3/4" hose connection, the other end under the AS and down the very slight incline. I opened the big cap on the tote-n-Stor, stuck the end of the hose in and pulled the gray valve. Boy! Does that stuff ever stink. No wonder they don't want you dumping gray water on the ground.

I discovered the terminal cap either doesn't have a seal/gasket or it's not a tight fit. I had a small stream of gray water going to the ground. I got a decent stream of water into the Tote-n-Stor. I got a couple gallons in short order, so this seems to be a pretty good solution. Although Valterra makes the seal, Camping World doesn't carry it. I may have to buy the entire cap but I'll go to Lowe's / Home Depot to see if I can find something.

I just walked the Tote-n-Stor to the dump station. It was about 6-7 gallons the first time and a couple more for the hose test. I think I can pull 10 gallons by hand if it isn't too far, but I'm thinking about pulling on the hitch behind the TV for longer distances.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Try a set of these Andersen RV Levelers. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
I have a 30 gal waste tank and had the same problem. You either lower the waste tank or raise the AS.

WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
More work but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I got a Tot-n-Stor (AKA Blue Boy) earlier this year, this is the first time I've tried to use it. Our gray/black discharge pipe is pretty low to the ground. The opening of the disposal is just as high or even slightly higher than the discharge.

Although it may be more work, when you level the trailer you could raise it up a couple of inches on each side (either lego levelers or 2 x6s) That raises the outlet connection too, and if you need to use your Blue Boy, you have the ability to do it... but I too got the flojet because I can actually hook that up and pump the grey (or black but I choose not to do this with the black... at least to this point) up into a blue boy in the bed of the truck so I don't have to drag it or try to lift it.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
So, for this newbie- when all is said and done... Do we like the Tote-N-Stor and is it worth it? Have seen them in campsites and thought they were a great idea but I went into sticker shock when I looked into them.

I'm considering the 25 gal 2 wheel unit. Glad I saw this thread, very helpful info!
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamGlider View Post
So, for this newbie- when all is said and done... Do we like the Tote-N-Stor and is it worth it? Have seen them in campsites and thought they were a great idea but I went into sticker shock when I looked into them.

I'm considering the 25 gal 2 wheel unit. Glad I saw this thread, very helpful info!

PM sent.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
This week the campsite has a fall away slant. It would be easy to hook up either the slinky or the hose and let it drain but we're leaving today.

Raising the AS on blocks might be another viable solution. We break camp today and go back to the other state park with mostly level spots. Dropping the tongue and using the hose on the last spot at that state park seemed to work well. Changing out the stabilizers for levelers is something to consider but not when we're on the road. Most of my tools are back home.

Is it worth it to use the portable? We can go about 5 days before gray water is full. If we're leaving in a day, we just dump water into the black tank. Last year we had to keep breaking camp and that's a lot of work so we opted to try the portable solution this year. Like anything new, it takes time to figure out what works best. I use the portable only for gray water. Black never fills all the way but if it did, we have the camp's bathroom.

Even with the initial problems I managed to reduce our tank to half, giving us another 3 days. That got us to the end of our stay at that camp and we emptied at the dump station. I made a couple of trips to the dump station because we were only maybe 100 yards from it, down a paved road. I've seen people pull them behind the TV using the hitch ball, carry them on a hitch receiver tote, pull them behind a bicycle and walking them. I have a folding 2-wheel hand truck. I'm going to try using that next time with a full 15 gallon tank. We'll be about 150 yards from the dump station.

Most places don't allow gray tank dumping. During my initial attempt some leaked out and the smell that came from the portable, whew! I sure would not want to stay anywhere they allowed it and I don't want to leave a stinky mess for the next people.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I first had a larger tank with wheels, but I found it difficult to use when we were a very long distance from the dump station. I now use two 10 gal tanks so that I can lift them into the truck bed.