Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have 4 wireless printers on my home wi-fi. The all work fine with an iPad, iPhone and MacPro. I'm looking for a Bluetooth battery powered printer that I can put in my RV and use with my iPad while on the road. I want to print coupons, google maps and reservationson the go.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We have used the HP OfficeJet 100 Mobile Printer for a couple years while on our travels. Great little printer with rechargeable batteries and is Bluetooth.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
AirPrint and WiFi are the two ways I've been able to connect and print wirelessly. I just looked at your printer's specs. No WiFi; just Bluetooth 2 (old standard) and USB. An iPad HAS Bluetooth (Bluetooth 4, I believe) so, I would expect that AFTER PAIRING, you should be able to send print jobs over Bluetooth. What happens when you "pair" the printer to your iPad?

The "Support" you received (in broken English I suspect) doesn't surprise me. VERY few companies today do a really good job of supporting the customer once the company has your money.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
We will test the Officejet 100 with our iPad again, since we have not done so since updating to the latest iOS. I will let you know whether or not it works. Previously we have had no problems.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Sorry, my mistake. Our HP OJ100 will NOT work via Bluetooth with the iPad with iOS 9.2. The printer is not compatible. If we run across one that is , we'll let you know.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Looks like you'll have to settle on a portable printer that you will use via wifi. Can you set up a hotspot in your trailer so that you have wifi available?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Greetings Denis4x4,

I use a Brother HL-5470DW. It has full wireless built-in and AirPrint. The printer is not the smallest you can get (9.25"H x 14.5"W x 14.5"D); however, it has several advantages. First, it is a laser printer rather than an inkjet so periods of non-use will not impact printer life and not a choice for part-time use. Inkjets are notorious for clogged printer heads if not used regularly. Add to that the high costs of ink cartridges and, enough said. When I did the printer tests for cost per page, this printer was the 2nd least expensive mono (black/white) printer to operate. Brother has an advantage for consumer use as they have separated the drum from the toner cartridge for years. That means that if your toner runs out (ink) then you can just buy the new toner ($21/3000pgs). rather than replacing the drum ($37/30K pages) and toner- much cheaper. Some other companies have started doing this as well but chalk one up for Brother. It is a duplex printer and also quite speedy for around $249.It uses around 700 watts when printing but, as I said it prints fast 40ppm. The only cons are size (desktop) and no color. I only use color for photos and mostly use digital copies now. If I want printing I go to the photo machine at Sams. I know this is quite different from your battery operated HP OJ 150 in storage size especially but close to the same in size during operation plus no color or scanning. Just thought I would mention it. I know that sometimes the mobile versions of scanners and printers usually leave much to be desired so if there is a normal not so big version- it may be the choice. Full-timer Jason Wynn bought a portable scanner only to go get the regular version and marveled at the difference.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
If your wi-fi enabled printer and iPad are on the same network, they will function together. You don't need to use AirPrint

Retirement: half the income, twice the spouse

JJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
If your wi-fi enabled printer and iPad are on the same network, they will function together. You don't need to use AirPrint
AirPrint is basically the printer driver for Apple devices. The printer has to be compatible with the device driver or, there are third party options too. My third party work-around did not always work.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
I have 4 wireless printers on my home wi-fi. The all work fine with an iPad, iPhone and MacPro. I'm looking for a Bluetooth battery powered printer that I can put in my RV and use with my iPad while on the road. I want to print coupons, google maps and reservationson the go.
Just read this post Denis4x4 while revisiting the thread. Do you have an inverter? That way it will not limit you to battery powered.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMarks View Post
Denis4x4 stated he the printer he wanted to use had Bluetooth. When I checked the specs, NOTHING is said about having WiFi (he did say his HOME network had WiFi).

Denis4x4 said nothing about having PAIRED his portable printer with his iPad. Until a PAIRING takes place, NO printing can happen via Bluetooth. I've had devices that I've to try multiple times before I could get them "PAIRED". His printer had BT2; his iPad probably has BT4. I don't think there'd be a problem but, I guess it would be possible. If the iPad is still in warranty, I'd recommend Denis4x4 call Apple. Apple will probably be of more help in getting an iPad connected to a printer than HP.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Followup on this issue....HP lacks the interface on Bluetooth printers to connect with Apple products using iOS. I must say that HP tech in India went out of her way to finally tell me that HP had no products that would work through bluetooth and the Apple iOS. Apple tech also confirmed this. As others have suggested, I'm going to try using my iPhone as a hotspot to use Airprint.

I did try to use Bluetooth to pair my MacPro with the HP printer and finally gave up. It would seem to me that there would be a potential market for a small portable printer using Bluetooth to hookup with an iPad or iPhone specifically for people on the go in RV's.

As a side note, the person at Office Depot was clueless and told my wife what she wanted to hear regarding the use of an HP battery powered printer to be used with an iPad and iPhone
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Denis4x4, The printer I am using in my RV is an HP Deskjet 2540 (2543) and when it is on, and it's wi-fi button is "on" it sends out it's own wi-fi signal which you will see on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, whatever, when you look for an active signal. No codes, just connect to the HP2500 that shows up and print. I had written this all out and it got deleted when I lost signal so if you want more info let me know. It is not battery operated but you can use a very small portable inverter if you are desperate. I also have a 5500 at home that I used to use but got tired of having to put in new wi-fi codes all the time when traveling. This is a very inexpensive printer with a small footprint.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
JJMarks makes a good point to consider. Basically you need a wifi network. If you do not have one then you need a printer with built-in wifi direct that creates its own connection/network. This would be the best case for you especially if you move the printer from AS to truck, etc., -don't have to fire up the camper's router to use. Secondly, you need it to be AirPrint compatible (the print driver that works with a network).

If you have an inverter then you can essentially buy any printer by using it as the power source. Naturally a laser printer would not work in a low power setting but it would definitely be the cheapest and most reliable option- especially if usage is once in a while. That is why I recommended Brother.

Here is a link to several AirPrint printers though most will require that you already have a wireless network in your Airstream:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311

Here is HP's list of wifi direct AirPrint compatible printers:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/mobilit...ing.html#apple

The printer Horseylady recommends, the 2540 is discontinued but it also has wifi direct which is what she is describing for $61 on Amazon. Be aware that inkjet printers' advantage is that you use low power, in this case 10 watts maximum. You could probably get one of those cigarette lighter inverters 100Watt to run it in the truck or camper. Just know that you need to use it often to keep those print heads from getting stopped up. Once that happens to an inkjet, its throw out time. Cleaning heads only eats ink and usually does not unclog a head. But... $61 and low power makes for a good argument. Bluetooth is not for printing to my knowledge.