Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Portable ladder for Airstream

Does anyone know of a good ladder to take while traveling?
minddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by minddr View Post
Does anyone know of a good ladder to take while traveling?
TeleSteps is one of the best. Very sturdy and very compact. Available as a regular ladder or a stepladder. I have the stepladder type.
http://www.telesteps.se/en/pro/home/
Old 04-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is mine

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_bhz_bw_c_x_3

It is a beast and longer than I should ever need but the price was right. It was an Amazon Daily Deal. It fits perfectly out of the way behind the LazyBoy in the front of the trailer for storage.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Handy hint—

If you get a ladder that will lean up against your Airstream, get some foam pipe insulation to wrap around the ladder side rails where it will touch the trailer. You can prevent a lot of scratches that way.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
I use a 5 to 5 1/2 foot folding ladder that folds up to about 4" on a side (square in the cross-section) that I bought at Camping World a couple years ago. I just went to their website but did not see it listed. The stairs fold as well. It is not tall enough to do much more than reach up high on the trailer but works to do almost everything except climbing on top. The nice thing is it actually will fit in one of Camping World's white, pvc tubes with end caps that they sell for storing your slinky and can be mounted below and hang from the frame... if I've described it well enough for you to visualize. However, we travel with ours on the floor in front of the gaucho and when we park we store it on the back bumper. Because its aluminum it blends right in!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Although I haven't made the purchase yet, I'd researched a compact folding ladder and came up with these that come in 4 and 5 foot lengths. Camping World had similar the last time i was in their showroom in Albuquerque. It would certainly fit in the front outside storage compartment of our FB Twin.

http://www.ladder-guy.com/ladders/ca...sible-ladders/
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
I use a 5 to 5 1/2 foot folding ladder that folds up to about 4" on a side (square in the cross-section) that I bought at Camping World a couple years ago.
I have one of those as well. It's awfully rickety compared to my TeleSteps, which is why I don't carry it when I travel anymore. It's now reserved strictly for indoor home use for changing light bulbs and such, where I can set it up on a level floor and don't have to climb very high on it. It's very convenient because it stores in a corner of the closet.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have one of the telepscoping ladders also. We have been carrying it on the road with us for ten years now and have never used it once. Hopefully, we can continue to bring it with us and never need it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Handy hint—

If you get a ladder that will lean up against your Airstream, get some foam pipe insulation to wrap around the ladder side rails where it will touch the trailer. You can prevent a lot of scratches that way.
I grabbed my canoe/car rooftop pads one day and tried them. Two now reside in the AS. Works well and distributes the load on the skin a bit.

Like these:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...G3saAu888P8HAQ

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We bring a folding 3 ft stepstool - which give me enough reach to get to the roof (but not on it) - if there is need to actually get up on the roof then it is very likely that the 5th wheel or motor coach parked next to you will have one - but if not - the park will lend you one.

Like Protaganist above I never go without a couple pieces of foam pipe insulation and also a section of closed cell sleeping pad. These not only cushion the ladder against the trailer but the sleeping pad is great for working underneath the trailer or changing a tire.

The logic in favouring a stepstool over a ladder is simple - there is much more utility in the stool.

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
There was a time when I wish I had a ladder a few years ago. The factory installed the front vent on our trailer the wrong way where it opens towards the front. The wind got up under the vent and almost ripped off the cover when going down the highway. It was interesting getting onto the roof by use of the LP tank cover and front window. I had to jump off the roof onto the grass to get down. It seemed like quite a looooonnnngggggg way down.
The telesteps look pretty neat - another item for the wish list.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
TeleSteps is one of the best. Very sturdy and very compact. Available as a regular ladder or a stepladder. I have the stepladder type.
http://www.telesteps.se/en/pro/home/

Sturdy and flexible as to heights you want to set it at.

I needed it in 2006, bought one right after the time my vent cover blew off the top of the trailer in a parking lot. Borrowed the RV shops ladder to replace the vent lid.

Have not needed it since as I covered our flimsy vent lids. Been leaving the tube ladder at home. ... and you know how that goes. Use the five gallon bucket for normal window cleaning. If I need it again... I might carry it around again for a year or two... and go back to feeling 'lucky'.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
http://www.lowes.com/pd_596898-287-AL323-6_1z0wcfo__

I have one of these and it works great for everything except getting on the roof. Lighter than step ladders at about 10 lbs, goes in the truck. Great price.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I use one of these...

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Werner-13-ft-A...Ladder/1101061

Not as compact as the telescoping ladders mentioned, but it fits in the closet just fine and can serve as a step or extension ladder. Also not too much heavier than the telescoping ladders.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I also use roof top canoe pads to cushion my ladder. They are pre slotted and fit right on the ladder rails without slipping. Already had them so nothing else to buy. I forgot to pack them for a recent trip and needed to use the ladder. I have a couple of large pool noodles cut for the ZD arms. Used those and they worked just as well. Saw a guy using towels taped around his ladder and that also did the job. Big thing is to cushion the ladder from damaging our precious soft aluminum Airstreams. Use whatever works for you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I carry a two-step step stool and a folding ladder because of the work I do. When we get the Airstream both will travel in the truck. I got pool noodles for the big awning on the Foretravel after I used my head to find one of the arms. Those noodles will go with the coach and I'll get new ones for the Airstream.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Depending on the size and shape of your space, you might want to consider alternative designs:

http://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-S.../dp/B002PNMMOC

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Depending on the size and shape of your space, you might want to consider alternative designs:

http://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-S.../dp/B002PNMMOC
That's exactly the kind that Camping World used to sell. As I stated in a previous post, my 5' model was so rickety I don't dare set it up anywhere but on a level floor.

Mind you, the posted load capacity of the 5' GP Logistics is only 225 pounds (I just now looked on mine, it's posted in very small numbers about 1/8" high on one leg of the ladder), and I'm about a dozen pounds over that limit. So of course it's rickety for me. People who weigh less will have fewer problems with it.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We carry this compact and stable 3-step ladder which allows us to reach the roof and helps getting stuff into the bed of the truck. Travels nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	261284  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Telesteps for me!

I use 2 of their 16 foot heavy duty models (the ones with the actual step platforms on them) for my solar installation work. I lean then against the sidewall of an RV using a dual durometer foam cap that I have fabricated for me in Hood River at a foam products manufacturer.

Almost every client with an Airstream also has one (but the shorter, regular duty models) that allow them roof access to clean or tilt their solar panels. They are solidly built, work extremely well and store with a single latching mechanism. Great product!
Attached Images

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote