Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I've read a couple of the threads we have going on GPS. I'm looking into buying a gps system in the next few weeks for our upcoming camping season. It looks like a lot of the systems people have purchased are on the high end. I'm looking to spend in the range of $250 or less. What would be anyones recommendation in this price range? I've found a garmin 250w wide screen for $199 on line. I think that I might go for the 260 if I could find a good deal on one. Any suggestions?
Charlie

Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Charlie. I have a Garmin Nuvi 260 and love it!! Does alot for the $$$ Even gives rd names!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
A little more research yielded a Garmin 260 for $230 new and a refurbished Garmin 350 for the same price. The refurb comes with a warranty, so that may not scare me away. Do you know which of these units would be better?

Charlie
Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I think the 360 does a little more but the 260 does everything I need..
Old 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #75
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
On Board System

Picking up our new tv, an 06 Burb with the Factory Nav system.

Anyone familiar with them, what should I expect?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #76
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Picking up our new tv, an 06 Burb with the Factory Nav system.

Anyone familiar with them, what should I expect?
I can't address the GM factory Nav system, but I have two Fords that have factory systems and will say this: they don't have as many bells and whistles as the portable units like the Garmin and TomToms, but they really are nice units in their own.

I park my truck in a down town Atlanta parking deck and my previous truck had been broken into several times, three if I remember the count correctly, and my new one has been broken into once...even though both trucks have after market burglar alarms in them! I specifically wanted a factory install for that reason: so I wouldn't have to worry about it being stolen from my truck. Yes, it cost more than the portables, and yes, it has fewer features, but it does everything I have needed so far.

BTW, read the manual that comes with the factory unit. They aren't alway as intuitive as I would like. Also, certain features will be locked out once you reach a certain speed so you won't be tempted to be making route changes or entering new destinations while trying to drive. This is a safety feature that the portables probably don't have. My Ford unit is combined with the sound system and can get complicated if you hit the wrong menu button and find yourself adjusting the fade or balance instead of searching for a local point of interest!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I found the garmin 360 online new (not refurbished) for $235 + $15 shipping. I don't like ordering something like this online, but I can't find any retail store that comes close to the price. I think the 260 would have been fine but for the same price I guess I'm going to order the 360 tomorrow.
Charlie
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #78
Dogs rule!

1972 23' Safari
Big Cove , Alabama
I have used my Garmin NUVI 350 for 2 years now - it has gotten me from little coastal islands in South Carolina to the California coast and a whole lot of out-of-the way places in between. Even took me straight to the place way out on a dirt road in south Georgia where I bought my Airstream. I love this unit. Previously used DeLorme on the laptop and wasn't crazy about it. The NUVI goes right on the dash just above the console so it is easy to see without needing a navigator to handle the laptop. See ProClip Mounting System *-*Choose Your Country as mentioned in a previous post. It is also very portable. I have used mine in rental cars, relative's cars and even while walking around in cities I have visited. I was recently in Atlanta on business and took a shuttle bus from the hotel to a convention center, the bus driver got hopelessly lost en route, called his dispather and still couldn't figure out where he was, so I used the NUVI to give him street by street directions to our destination and managed to get there on time and got a round of applause from the other passengers! I just ordered a 2008 map update for mine- it was free through the Garmin website. I have only needed customer support one time and that experience was positive.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Here is a link from Consumer Reports that Yahoo posted today.
FYI.
Dave

Yahoo! Shopping - Compare Prices, Compare Products, Read Reviews and Merchant Ratings
Old 03-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
MyCokeRewards.com

I have gone BONZO on mycokerewards.com and one of my BEST prizes is my TomTom!!

It wasn't an item I was going to get around to buying, but now I see I REALLY needed one! It's not really a luxury at all!

It was worth all of those Coke points, which almost drained my account.. and I almost had a spaz when I saw my Coke account debited SEVEN THOUSAND POINTS...but what a COOL freebie!!

It has a LOT of bells and whistles and was ready to use, right out of the box. It has a HUGE selection of voices.. my FAVE is NASA Mission Control.. but Yoda and Austin Powers are hilarious.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
I have gone BONZO on mycokerewards.com and one of my BEST prizes is my TomTom!!

It wasn't an item I was going to get around to buying, but now I see I REALLY needed one! It's not really a luxury at all!

It was worth all of those Coke points, which almost drained my account.. and I almost had a spaz when I saw my Coke account debited SEVEN THOUSAND POINTS...but what a COOL freebie!!

It has a LOT of bells and whistles and was ready to use, right out of the box. It has a HUGE selection of voices.. my FAVE is NASA Mission Control.. but Yoda and Austin Powers are hilarious.
the maps in the tomtom systems are horrific. there good units with poor maps. k.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I received my Garmin 360 last week. I've only used it locally, but I can see this being a very nice addition to our trips. Just those times were you wonder if the next town has fuel or not, or finding the nearest place for supplies will be nice. You can even pull up the POI and dial it through your blue tooth feature. I didn't need the features, but I'll use them and the price was right. I selected the Aussie voice as others on here suggested.
Charlie
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
I received a Garmin Nuvi 200 as a gift last week and wonder how we ever got
along without one!
We used it to travel back home from a trip to Florida and were amazed at the wealth of information regarding area points of interest.
We found it especially useful for locating grocery stores and gas stations since we did not have to guess how far off the interstate these places were located.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #84

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a Garmin Nuvi 660. We have had it for 18 months, and have used it extensively all over the country. We have found it to work great and we love the wide screen. We don't always agree with the 660's route, but that's easy enough to overcome. It has all the bells and whistles.

We like the flat shape of the 660 which allows us to easily take the unit with us on foot which makes it really useful when hiking or kayaking.

Admittedly, it's a high-priced unit. The best price that we could find 18 months ago was $720. I guess this isn't so bad when you consider the GM GPS option costs $2,200, and the unit is not as capable and you can not take it on a hike. The really good news for someone wanting a really good GPS is that last week I saw the Nuvi 660 on Amazon for $350.

The Nuvi 660 mounts nicely below dash level on our Suburbans. I don't care or a GPS mounted on the dashboard.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2897.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	56921  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote