Old 12-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #29
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Don't get caught using a GPS on a plane. It is illegal since 9/11. Stupid rule but still there.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Don't get caught using a GPS on a plane. It is illegal since 9/11. Stupid rule but still there.
I can back that up. The reason cell phones are still an issue is that many are now GPS capable. "They" have no way of determining if you are tying to coordinate something in the air at a specific location. Still, I agree with thecatsandi - makes no real sense in the real world.

BTW - Of course it works in the airplane - the system was built, and is maintained by the Air Force, originally for military use only, to drop munitions with a high success of striking the target. Navigating down the road is sorta like using a super computer to balance your checkbook for this system.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
They are hard to detect because they dont transmit a signal..Just recieve them..
Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #32
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I use a Magellan 315 in my aircraft for covert operations (infringing on class Delta airspace mostly). Works great 10 feet AGL - preprogram coordinates for waypoints and hot spots then fly it like you stole it. Avoid radar detection while on the deck- F-117 not needed.Ho hum works well in the Burb also, slow not as much fun.Very reliable and this unit is 4 years old-I'm sure the new ones have lotsa whistles and bells, probably get me in trouble. lol

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I recently purchased the Nuvi 350. So far I like it a lot. I have used Garmin GPS's for years as a pilot and grown accustom to them. I have a Garmin 296 which I could have added the street mode to it but decided to purchase a seperate unit for the truck. Also, if someone was to steal it or I lost it I would rather lose $330 instead of over $1000 for the 296.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Well just got me another GPS unit..I think this model has just come out,,,,, The Garvin Nuvi 260...LOVE IT!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
There's a ton of GPS units on sale this Christmas! I'd be hard pressed to try to select one from this array.
That being said, I have owned a TomTom for nearly 3 years now, and it has navigated us back and forth across the country several times, and hasn't yet got us lost. One feature that I enjoy is that you can select different languages for the voice prompts. I find that kool, Bevis.
regards
Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
2009 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sussex , New Jersey
TomTom vs Garmin

We have both a TomTom Go 720 and a Garmin Nuvi 760. Both are good units and while I find that the TomTom is more user friendly the Garmin has always gotten me to my destination using the most direct routing. Both get you there but the Garmin outperforms the TomTom, so when it came time to buy another unit for my daughter for Christmas, it was a no brainer, Garmin all the way.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 22
We have both a TomTom Go 720 and a Garmin Nuvi 760. Both are good units and while I find that the TomTom is more user friendly the Garmin has always gotten me to my destination using the most direct routing. Both get you there but the Garmin outperforms the TomTom, so when it came time to buy another unit for my daughter for Christmas, it was a no brainer, Garmin all the way.
What model did you get her????
Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
I purchased the Garmin Rino 530 Hcx earlier this year and up until it was stolen from my truck, it was a great piece of equipment for on and off road use. The 2 way radio feature, weather band broadcasts, external omni-directional antenna, and connectivity to my laptop made it highly versatile on 2 legs or 4 wheels. Big high res color screen for a portable model as well. Not cheap but planned on not having to buy another for a long time until......

As a related note, learned to take all of the GPS and related gadgets out of vehicle every night and take extra step to wip[e off the little suction cup ring left by th emount on the front windo - it is a homing beacon to would be thieves. Thanks to AIR member for the suggestion. Below are the cut and paste features of the unit - I watched that poor family stranded in a remote part of the northwest lose their father/husband last winter after he walked a 10 mile circle from the car looking for help and expried a mile form the car - thought if he and his wife had this radio/gps it may have been avoided on many levels.

Rino 530HCx:

Know exactly where you are at all times with Rino 530HCx and the precision of high-sensitivity GPS. This waterproof FRS/GMRS radio plus GPS navigator adds a barometric altimeter, electronic compass and NOAA weather radio in addition to the popular features of the Rino 520HCx — 5 watts of transmit power, a microSD card slot, brilliant color display and a high-sensitivity GPS receiver — so you’ll never be lost again.
Pinpoint Your Position

With its high-sensitivity GPS receiver, Rino 530HCx locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you’re in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Rino 530HCx to help you find your way when you need it the most.
Find Your Friends

Like the rest of the Rino series, Rino 530HCx offers a unique Position Reporting feature. Position Reporting lets you send your exact location to other Rino users in your group so that everyone can see your position on the map page. And, because Rino is a standard FRS/GMRS radio, you can use it to communicate with any other conventional FRS/GMRS radio around.
Transmit with Power

Rino 530HCx boasts a whopping 5 watts of transmit power (GMRS), which lets you contact others from up to 14 miles away (line of sight). In Canada, you can transmit at 2 watts over GMRS with a range of up to 8 miles.
Other Rino 530HCx features:
  • Barometric altimeter pinpoints your precise elevation.
  • Electronic compass tells you what direction you’re headed, even when you're standing still.
  • Bold color TFT display makes it easy to see and navigate to family or friends at an amusement park, lake or other outdoor group activity.
  • microSD card slot accepts preloaded MapSource® data cards with detailed maps.
  • Automatic routing and turn-by-turn directions with alert tones let you find an address or point of interest and drive there (with optional MapSource map data).
  • Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 14 hours of outdoor use.
-Erikson
Old 12-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We have use Gramin Street Pilot 330C in our ambulances, to find addresses. Firemen can tear up an anvil in a sand pile, and these have made it 18 months and are still going strong. I use DeLorme products on my laptop and smart phone personally, and like them too.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
My daughter Laura (Airedale on forums) has the 330C.. Great unit!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I'm gonna wait. At the rate the prices are coming down on these things, next year they might be free with a tank of gas. Of course a tank of gas may be $300 by then.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
I got 20% off on my 260 Nuvi via a friend.. The guy at the store said they had just got their first shipment of them in a hour before. It speaks road names and does everything I need for a great price. Paid 260 for it...