Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Somers , Montana
Portable Coleman vs Weber grills

We are interested in buying a portable grill to use with our International Airstream that has an LP line for grilling. Does anyone have a recommendation of Coleman vs Weber? Coleman's may only work with the small propane bottles....does anyone know otherwise? Also, does anyone know if they sell an extension line to reach the LP line coming off the Airstream?
mcrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Bought the Weber Q1000 and love it. 1 lb bottles or works great off the aux propane line. I have about a 3 foot hose, I'm sure longer ones are available. I refill my 1 lb bottles so always just use those though, have plenty on hand and cheap to refill myself.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We have a Weber 2200 and removed the regulator so we could run it off The trailer propane. The 1 lb canisters are a hassle and I have found that they are not all the same. We also have a Green Mountain Grill that we love. Here is a link for the GMG: http://greenmountaingrills.com/promo/ we got the Davey Crockett and it works great.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
We have a Weber Q1200 and a 2 burner Coleman. Used the weber a lot already, even in the back yard. This past weekend we used the Coleman and learned we didn't like it near as much. It would be good for boiling water but for cooking off of a griddle or frying pan, not so good. The flames are full on or off, hard to regulate heat. We tried steaks on a Lodge griddle and with the flame and griddle not covered, it took a long time to heat the meat to 160 degrees.

If you buy just one, go Weber.
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
My Weber was made in the USA and that is the reason I bought it. Works great. I had both the 100 and the 200 model. I gave the 200 away, since I prefer the smaller 100. I remove the lid to store it in the back hatch of my classic. I also have the cart which is a good addition. Cleans easy. I purchased a plastic putty knife which conforms to the bottom to clean the grease out.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #6

1956 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
IVINGHOE , BEDS
+1 Weber

No experience of the Coleman ones, but the Weber Q-series are fantastic! We've got a massive (non-portable!) Weber at home, and the Q1000 cooks just as well, if not better for some things!
airstreamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Have heard great reports about the Weber and Coleman. We use a large Weber Summit at home and never had any problems. Looked at the Q line. We bought a two burner Coleman on sale and couldn't be happier. Stingy on gas and very versatile. Don't have any problems regulating gas flow. Cooked a wide range of meals from steamed lobster, fajitas, fish curry, chicken stir fry .... All lip-smack'n good!!
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also warranty of weber is great no hassles I pur Q200 would not heat properly, called weber gave info, 1 mo left warranty, next statement from weber rep. was new parts in mail 2 day del. no charge just thank you for pur. weber.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
PK

2002 25' Safari
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Neither! You're camping! Buy a grate to go on the fire ring and enjoy the taste of steak, hamburgers, etc.. made over a wood fire! if you got to buy a grill (cause of rain), buy a portable "Char-Boil" charcoal grill. You Never have a need for "charcoal fluid" - Never! BQing on a charcoal grill has come a long way. There are cylinders you can buy to light charcoal with, and never again will you use "lighter fluid." Any kind of gas grill can never replace wood and charcoal. Just saying!
Ocean Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Metal on Weber is thicker.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI these other threads also contain useful information:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ll-150173.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ill-20888.html

And the Stella's Kitchen forum contains many earlier interesting threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Like charcoal

yeah, like 'Ocean bumb', I like that wood smoke smell and charcoal smoke flavor.
I suggest and recommend the 'Lodge Sportsman grille', model L410 pre-seasoned Sportsman's charcoal grill .

Its at the amazon and other places. If you are not feeding a army, its compact size makes it good for travel. I have mine lined with aluminum foil so I can dump the charcoal ashes easy and put it back in the box for storage after use.
It rides in the rear AS storage area.

I wouldn't leave it on a picnic table while away from the campsite. Even though its heavy, I bet it would 'walk away' pretty quickly unfortunately. I put mine in a old crumpled box labeled 'crap', and put it underneath the AS, while in camp.

Bonus round, 'Made in USA'
Don't leave home without it, Have a good one !
Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We bought the Coleman, 2 burner on a collapsible stand with wheels, from Amazon. Extension line also available. For us, no problem on flame control, and learning where to place items on the grill helps, hot center versus not-so-hot area between the two burners. Heck, last night was thick pork chops, followed by Bok Choy, followed by grilled pineapple with a balsamic drizzle.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Somers , Montana
Thanks for your response. If you removed the regulator from the Weber 2200, what type of extension line did you buy to connect your gas line to the weber grill?
mcrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #15
Kim & Roger

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ventura County , California
We have a Char-Broil Portable Gas Grill that can use either propane bottles or hose to either a 10 pound tank or propane quick connect on AS. But like Ponyfvr we also use a Green Mountain Grill Davey Crockett pellet smoker that we can grill or smoke meat, chicken, fish or veggies. We use Traeger Gourmet pellets only available at Costco. The GMG is the best of both worlds in our opinion. Use a little olive oil, Traegers Chicken Rub and 1.5 hrs later the best tasting chicken you'll ever have. We'll be using it at Wine Fest in Paso Robles this coming weekend.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.” - Mark Twain
Kimberlydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A most excellent quote, Kim and Roger . . . thanks!

Peter

__________________________________________________ ____

“But I reckon I got to light out for the territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”

Mark Twain
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrusso View Post
Thanks for your response. If you removed the regulator from the Weber 2200, what type of extension line did you buy to connect your gas line to the weber grill?
I used the hose (about 3 ft long) that came with the Airstream and plugs into the propane port on the front of the trailer, this is a low pressure line which is why you don't need the regulator. I took the AS host to ACE hardware and bought a regular propane extension hose from the grill department. Then you need to go to the plumbing department and get a coupler, one hose has a plumbing fitting and the other hose has a gas fitting and the coupler will have a gas fitting on one side and a plumbing fitting on the other. If you bring the AS hose in and grab the bbq hose the attendant will be able to help you find the connector. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and they didn't have the connectors ACE Hardware has everything and I found someone who knew what he was doing. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
I used the hose (about 3 ft long) that came with the Airstream and plugs into the propane port on the front of the trailer, this is a low pressure line which is why you don't need the regulator. I took the AS host to ACE hardware and bought a regular propane extension hose from the grill department. Then you need to go to the plumbing department and get a coupler, one hose has a plumbing fitting and the other hose has a gas fitting and the coupler will have a gas fitting on one side and a plumbing fitting on the other. If you bring the AS hose in and grab the bbq hose the attendant will be able to help you find the connector. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and they didn't have the connectors ACE Hardware has everything and I found someone who knew what he was doing. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions
I left out one step, I think that the plumbing to gas connection is to attached the hose to the grill and the hose to hose connection is a gas connection. I found the connectors information on the web but can't remember which website if I find it I will add it to this post

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 05-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Bum View Post
Neither! You're camping! Buy a grate to go on the fire ring and enjoy the taste of steak, hamburgers, etc.. made over a wood fire! if you got to buy a grill (cause of rain), buy a portable "Char-Boil" charcoal grill. You Never have a need for "charcoal fluid" - Never! BQing on a charcoal grill has come a long way. There are cylinders you can buy to light charcoal with, and never again will you use "lighter fluid." Any kind of gas grill can never replace wood and charcoal. Just saying!

I agree. Let's camp!!!! Use a wood fire. I have a grate with legs that goes over the campground fire pits. Use a Weber charcoal stater cylinder to start charcoal or wood that does not require lighter fluid. Not a purist, just a camper. I have a Weber Q1000 propane unit and use it only when a wood fire is not allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyfvr View Post
I found the connectors information on the web but can't remember which website if I find it I will add it to this post
I just purchased the Coleman Fold n Go grill and it has a quick connect fitting at the grill attachment point. The fitting is unique and I have not been able to find it anywhere. So my solution is the buy a second regulator, cut off the quick connect fitting and then use standard connectors from the hardware to attach it to the propane line.

The regulator is $24.59 from eReplacementparts.com. See http://www.ereplacementparts.com/reg...p-1001437.html

Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote