Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Porky's Road Report #1

Just thought I would give anyone who is interested an update on our adventures out on the road. We have been living in our Airstream fulltime since March 29th ... and have enjoyed every minute.

We hung around Templeton (home) for a little bit while we put the finishing touches on our house before we put it up for rent. During this time we attended the Escapees Escapade Rally in Lancaster .. the high desert next to Edwards AFB.

Along the way we stayed at Orange Grove RV Resort in Bakersfield. This park is located in the middle of an orange grove out on Highway 58 right before you head up the Tehachapi Pass. Bakersfield has been the punch line of many jokes ... but actually has a lot to offer. Don't miss the 16-acre Pioneer Village and Kern County Museum ... located together on Chester. Nearby is Buck Owen's Crystal Palace and the Bakersfield Country Music Museum.

While we were working on the house we stayed at Wine Country RV Resort in Paso Robles ... very nice and very expensive. We counted at least 4 or 5 Airstreams while we were there.

We finally hit the road for our 3 year adventure on May 13th. By the time we hit Stockton on I-5 we were pretty pooped ... so we opted to spend the evening at French Camp RV & Golf Resort. This park has concrete pads and wide sites ... quite nice. French Camp was the terminus for the Oregon Trail in California … the area was settled by the French working for the Hudson Bay Co. back in 1832 … the oldest settlement in the Valley … thus the name French Camp … an epiphany for Petunia!

While at French Camp we abandoned our plans to race to Lake Shasta and wound up spending a wonderful week in Chico. We stayed at a top notch park ... Almond Tree ... a beautiful facility ... small (46 sites) ... but attractive and extremely clean. Highlights of Chico include Bidwell Park (2nd largest municipal park in the U.S.), Bidwell Mansion (you guessed it ... Bidwell founded the town), Chico University Campus (drop dead beautiful ... Chico Creek runs through it), Downtown Chico (charming ... reminds us of our own San Luis Obispo) ... and the Sierra Nevada Brewery ... we were very lucky and scored tickets to Mose Allison ... the brewhouse is an excellent venue for live music.

Currently .. we are in Mount Shasta for a week ... since this has gotten quite long .. I will post another report when time allows and if anyone is interested.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Pork

Great to hear from you, keep us posted on your travels - and we want pictures, lots of pictures

Are you gonna be able to chat with us on Tues nights?

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Craftsman

Your doing exactly what my wife and I have plans to do, so we're very interested. Especially about how it is to live in your 34'...pro's and con's.
Jack
Old 05-25-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Porky,

My brother lives in Lancaster. We have not taken the trailer there yet, but it may be something we would do on our way down south. We live in N. Ca.

What rv park do you like in Lancaster?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Porky,

Your report hit home with me. I have reservations at Orange Grove for my return from Las Vegas because it looked nice. Glad to hear of the good report.

Wine Country RV Park got good reviews and they encourage rallies so I was going to check them out too on the same trip.

Chico State is my alma mater and what sweet memories. Bidwell Park is the heart and soul of that town- simply awsome! And the campus- rose bushes, creeks, tall trees, and not a spec of litter. Love that place!

Where will you be in July? I'll be all through the NW so I wonder if we will be close?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #6
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Ken J ... I won't be able to chat on Tuesday night because my Verizon account is free only after 9 PM ... and most of you are gone by then. Also, right now ... I have only roaming access (45 cents per minute) at Mount Shasta.

Craftsman Jack ... we love the 34 .. glad we got it ... works perfect for us. Cons ... just be extra careful when making turns.

Safari Tim ... no preference on a Lancaster site ... we stayed at the fairgrounds for the rally. I heard you can stay there on your own (without rally invovlvement) with full hookups.

Big Dee ... you actually graduated? I heard you were asked to leave. We think we will be somewhere in Washington by July ... but we can only guess. It would be great to get together.

As for photos and future updates ... Petunia and I are considering creating our own website. ANyone want to suffest a good Host?

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 05-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
[BAs for photos and future updates ... Petunia and I are considering creating our own website. ANyone want to suffest a good Host?
Porky,
Check out Netfirms we have used them in the past and have had great service.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Keep 'em comin', Porky! Enjoyed your report.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Great to hear from you guys!!

Glad you're having so much fun and please keep posting.

One day we'll all be doing what you're doing now. Hopefully sooner than later.

All the best!

PS
We use "Superb.net" as a host. Their customer service is very good and they have fair prices.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
You could use www.organichosting.com for your website that our Andy runs.
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Porky,
Just got back from WA state, picking up our 63 Overlander.
You will find so many RV parks, it's simply unbelievable. Most are located on one of the 1000's or Rivers and ponds they have up there.
we were near teh Puget Sound in WA, north of Olympia. A wonderful area to spend a while. And it's so green, almost hurts the eyes.
Good Luck in your travels.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
accomodation

porky,
if you plan to visit seattle, i recommend this:www.trailerinnsrv,com veryconvenient, surprisingly quiet, and one can walk down the block to safeway....and the state store!...oh yeah, very reasonable($)
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #13
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
As for photos and future updates ... Petunia and I are considering creating our own website. ANyone want to suffest a good Host?

Depending on your ISP, many times they offer a limited amount of free web space for personal web pages. I have Comcast and they give each subscriber space for each account. You can just their simple webpage building tools or often times just webpage creation software such as FrontPage or Dreamweaver. Comcast does support FrontPage server extensions and that is how i made my personal page.

I know other ISPs do the same.

There should a link to it on your ISP subscribers homepage.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:10 AM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Of course when you get to Olympia, WA you must stop in and stay a few at Land Yacht Harbor in Lacey. It's cheap for club members (non-members are still welcome), and you'll be surrounded by the friendliest Airstreamers in the NW. It's a good home base for explorations around the south end of Puget Sound. I haven't been there yet, but I've met a lot of the folks who live there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:40 PM   #15
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Depending on your ISP, many times they offer a limited amount of free web space for personal web pages.
Van ... right now I am using Verizon for my Internet access ... they do not offer any web hosting ... yet. So I will have to go with a paid service.

Thanks to everyone for their hosting suggestions ... I will check them out.

One more thing ... for those of you using Verizon .. make a note ... no coverage in the Mount Shasta area ... roaming only at 65 cents per minute ... no thanks.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon