Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Lightbulb Pondering a Voyage of Discovery

Here is the idea so far.
  • Starting in VA, perhaps at Monticello then up to DC working to the west coast following the general path of Lewis and Clark.
  • Departures off the route of less than 100 miles or so to see things that seem attractive.
  • Two lanes where possible.
  • Thinking about making this a photo trip (maybe break out the large format camera). Not sure about a theme or if I would want one. Maybe a what L&C would see today?
  • When going through small towns, stay in city parks where possible. Otherwise state parks and Federal Lands.
  • Take the bike and find a canoe to take- gotta have a canoe on the L&C.
  • No schedule to the extent that it is possible. Start in early May- I should have the full summer to work with.
Anyone followed the L&C coast to coast? Done anything like this? Tell me why its a bad idea.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Rodney,

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a great idea to me, too.

Why not?

Keep us posted and travel safe.

Maggie
Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
It seems that

a "Voyage of Discovery" is what i am also embarked upon......last year it seemed that i was following lewis and clark every where...from travels in Missouri and North Dakota and the west in general....it seems that these guys were every where...

this year I found myself following the Oregon Trail and picking up evidence of the brave pioneers that followed lewis and clark....great travels everywhere.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . Sounds great to me. We want to 'do' the L & C from St Louis to Glacier next year. I found 2 books that look quite useful. The Nat Geo 'Guide to the L & C Trail' and 'Traveling the L & C Trail' by Fanselow (4th Edition). Both from Amazon. Stay in touch and regards, Craig
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from GA. . . Sounds great to me. We want to 'do' the L & C from St Louis to Glacier next year. I found 2 books that look quite useful. The Nat Geo 'Guide to the L & C Trail' and 'Traveling the L & C Trail' by Fanselow (4th Edition). Both from Amazon. Stay in touch and regards, Craig
Thanks for the tip! Right now I am more in the musing stage, looking at maps and so forth, weighing options. I do know I am up for something different next summer.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
We are kind of doing that right now. See here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...oad-79445.html

The only thing I suggest is don't plan too much, just point the windshield at whatever looks interesting and follow it.

Travel safe, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We followed their route in 2009; we picked up the Missouri at the Iowa/Neb border and followed the river up into ND and camped near the Mandan village there. Then west to Great Falls, to the confluence of the Yellowstone and Missouri, then down to Three Forks. From there to the Lolo Pass, a detour to the Scablands and Palouse Falls.

Then followed the Columbia to Ft Stevens and Ft Clapsop.

I think you'll find a real connection on your journey.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We went from Illinois followed the Oregon trail Lewis and Clark in 1998 to the Boise international with 18 trailers. We went on to Oregon and Seattle, Washington and on to the Olympic peninsula, as well as Vancouver, after the International. There are a lot of parks along the way as well as all the history. We came back through Montana. It can get a little steep through Montana. If you going out you go through South Pass you encounter only one long hill.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation Interesting book to read

Here is a book about a man that traveled across the US. Although it was in a boat not a trailer. I really enjoyed it and it would probably make good winter reading. I believe his route was basically the same as Lewis and Clark's.

River Horse: Summary and book reviews of River Horse by William Least Heat-Moon.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Lewis & Clark

I second Ken's suggestion to read William Least Heat Moon's book "River Horse." He went from NY City to Astoria. OR with a boat, trailering it around portages and dams as needed. Along the L &C portion of the trip (Missouri River west) he cites passages from Lewis' journal. I too made a similar trip, although not with an AS and followed the 49ers trail. If you are a history nut like me be prepared to hit the brakes when you see "Historical Marker Ahead." The last couple of hundred miles will probably be the slowest because there is so much to see. Before the Snake River joins the Columbia at Pasco, Wa, stay at the Charbonneau Park, a Corps of Engineers facility above Ice Harbor Dam, one of the nicest RV parks that I have stayed at.

DonS
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Now you've got me going...I suggest when leaving DC you head up to Baltimore and pick up the National Pike, a Colonial road surveyed in part by George Washington. It is, or closely parallels, US Route 40. Definitely two lane, scenic, historical, shun-pike, that will take you well into Ohio. Side trip to Jackson Center if haven't been there yet, a must see AS hajj.

DonS
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The more I think about the idea the more I like it. It would be cool to get some images from DC with the airstream in it. Just imagine a shiny trailer with the Washington or Jefferson Memorial behind it! Not sure I am brave enough to attempt the tow in though..... I think if the money holds up I may have to do this trip.

Thanks for the national pike tip, that is just the kind of thing I am looking for.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Northern Tier states anyone?

It looks like there are a lot of parks in the northern Tier starting with Glacier working west. I think I could spend time in Oregon, Washington, and N. California with my camera having a good time. Whats the 411 on those states?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We did this trip from St. Louis years ago pre Airstream in a Chevy Van that had only two seats and nothing in back except our sleeping bags, a cooler and a Coleman stove. I read the DeVoto version of the Journals of L and C while we were passing by the exact spots detailed in the book. I can't tell you how great that was. Today, there are wonderful guides available to help the exploration, but you can't beat the actual Journals for a stunning experience.

I also recommend the old WPA guides to the states written in the 1930's. These books were written by wonderful authors--some famous who were out of work in the 30's and employed by the artist's project. If you can find the books (try used books stores and the library), they can give you marvelous histories of the area you are in and a picture into the way the countryside looked in the 30's. There is a book for each state.

We will be continuing the journey next summer seeing the areas not covered previously in the West and revisiting other. We, too, will have no schedule and will be able to plan as we go and meander about.

Another note: while in Philly, check to see if the Philosophical Society has any displays of the artifacts. They usually don't, but once in a while, they will put a page from the Journals or a seed pod or two on display. There isn't much left because the artifacts were organic and have disintegrated or are very fragile. But seeing a page of the Journal, to me, is priceless.

You have a Great Journey ahead. I hope you write or blog about it. And I hear that the Missouri won't be flooding next year which is a good thing on many levels.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Rodney,

You can't get much further north in the US than the route Lewis & Clark traveled following the Missouri River through North Dakota, Montana and Idaho. After the suggested pilgrimage to Jackson Center, OH, head up through Michigan to the UP and head across northern Wisconsin and Minnesota and hook up to the Lewis & Clark trail at Mandan, ND. That way you will avoid a lot of boring countryside in midwest (believe me, I grew up there). Then follow the Corps of Discovery route west as close as you dare. From the mouth of the Columbia River down US 101 along Oregon coast and California 1 as far as you want (again, consider what you are towing). That, in my opinion, would be a Grand Tour.

DonS
Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We picked up Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose last year, and found it very interesting. As Lewis & Clark were heading out on their expedition, my ancestors were poling flatboats down the Mississippi river to settle the newly opened Louisiana Purchase. Such courage they all had.

Always so helpful to read something good and deepen your knowledge about an area, event or issue. After visiting Monticello earlier this year, we are now immersed in Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings. Fascinating.

As you head northward, perhaps make a side trip to Jack Canavera's Moraine View Rally in central Illinois the second weekend in June. There are many regular attendees who would love to meet you.

Maggie
Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Wow, a great trip full of history. I read a book some years ago about a guy that started in New York City and with powerboat and canoe took the Erie Canal to Lake Erie, down the rivers to Pittsburg and the Ohio River to the Mississippi. From there to St. Louis and continued following the Lewis / Clark voyage. A great read. Sorry I can't remember the title. Just to add a thought to your trip, In Minden, Nebraska is a great museum of early America. Pioneer Village. They even have a campground ( nothing great but safe and full hookups ). Camping fee includes one admission to the museum. Worth the side trip. South of Rt. 80, mid state, not far from Kansas border.
Enjoy all the trip has to offer.
See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Polarlyse

The book you read is in fact the above noted "River Horse" by William Least Heat Moon.

DonS

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
Old 10-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
New to me National Parks along the route

Theodore Roosevelt
Glacier
North Cascades
Rainier
Olympic
Crater Lake
Redwood
Lassen Volcanic

Lewis and Clark aside, this list is appealing on its own. North Cascades looks particularly interesting from what little I can see about it so far (IMO, the NPS webpages are not terribly informative). The terrain looks inviting, the lakes and peaks might make for some fun photography. Anyone with experience care to weigh in? On any of the listed parks for that matter (or places that I should have on the list).