Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
U-Haul rental for towing availability

hi, Eric,

I walked into the U-Haul Moving & Storage Center in Nanuet, NY, on Saturday afternoon where they told me that they rent their 10' truck that is rated for towing 5,000# and is equipped with a 2" ball, an electric brake controller, and a 7-pin connector, and that there was no issue with pulling your own trailer.

didn't think to ask about whether the ball is on a fixed mount, or a bar into a receiver? hopefully a receiver, so you can use your own bar and ball easily. you might have to readjust the bar for proper ball height?

I find I do better dealing with a "U-Haul Moving Center" rather than a "U-Haul Neighborhood Dealer", so if there's one of those nearby that you can use, I'd try there first.

(one exception to that would be Timmy's Service Center in Westwood, NJ. Tim Hampton and his team are first rate! and Tim probably has forgotten more about towing than most people know.... )

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Plan B ??

Eric,

there are two Airforums members in the Dover, DE area, and another member in the Bridgeville, DE area that offer "Courtesy Parking".

perhaps you could try reaching out to them for a place to park your trailer? and maybe they'd be good enough to pull you from Smyrna to their home, given that it's not very far? (comparatively, at least!)

if you want search for them, go up this page to "Community" and then "Members List", then click "Search Members" and "Advanced Search". then select "DE" from the State dropdown, and "Yes" from the Courtesy Parking dropdown, and finally "Search Now"

this might make your life much easier?

ymmv.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Carver , Massachusetts
Looks like parts to fix my truck are more available now than I was led to believe may have been the case. I am being told now my truck should be good to go Thursday evening. Sent the fiancé home on a train today, and will be staying in the area with my daughter until then, just didn't make sense to go home today as planned to have to come back Friday when the one person who had to be in Massachusetts is on their way. So, spent some time in my company's Philadelphia office today, and we will see what the next few days will bring. Quite a pain, and waste of vacation days, but things look far better than they did Friday.

Thanks.

Eric
etobolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Best wishes, Eric.

In my experience, with cars/trucks in overall good condition with proper maintenance, transmission failures are the major mechanical source of trip disruption. As you have found, usually the best way forward is to find a local shop that can replace the transmission.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I want to say that all of those that tried, should be very proud of themselves. I am honored that so many of you had the same notion as me. I have had my Airstream Spirit really seriously tested lately, and some of you have given me part of it back. I want to sincerely thank all those that wanted to help for renewing my faith in my fellow Airstreamers. Godspeed to all of you (said with a very heavy heart).
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by etobolski View Post
things look far better than they did Friday
Excellent! Now you have another story to tell around the campfire....
And after all the bills are paid it might even become a funny story.