Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #29

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I have gone from Super Planner to a much more relaxed pace, and this year we are doing it with a 34' just like you have.

I'm currently in a campground in Rawlin's WY that, yesterday, we had no idea we would be here.

The tricks that have worked for us? Travel off-peak and get very comfortable with getting your trailer into and out of places. We are to the point that if the truck will fit, the trailer will follow...and call ahead that morning if you not sure of availability.

We usually have a planned route but we will vary it at the drop of a hat...heck, we have just gone 1/2 way across the USA, mainly on 2 lane roads!
Airstream Forums - HiHoAgRV

If it's crowded, I probably wouldn't wanna be there anyway

Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Joe Reddington, the founder of the famous Iditarod Dog Race in Alaska passed on several years ago. His obituary told that he had often said : “if you don’t have a plan, that’s one less thing that can go wrong”.

I liked that, perhaps because I’ve mostly thought like that too.

I generally motor with a rough idea of where I’m headed but rarely book hotels ahead. I find having to be someplace at a certain time is stress producing. People who are wired oppositely will worry about NOT knowing were they’re staying that night.

I want the flexibility to get distracted or wander off-course.

An exception to my travel style had to be made when I took a 27-day, 4428-kilometer Rent-a Car-drive across 5 of the 9 South African provinces last winter. Because travel warnings made me realize that an elderly, lone driver should probably not be on the road after dark I plotted out my route and booked my accommodation, using internet searches and email, before I left Canada. I admit that it was nice to be received as “the traveler from Toronto” when I arrived at hotels, lodges and B&B’s there.

South Africa was a magical place - with stunning, ever-changing views around every bend and warm, smiling, welcoming people everywhere.

My rig hasn’t been out on the road yet but I want to spend this winter in Mississippi and Louisiana with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rig trees.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	109248

Trailer parks are not for me. I prefer a small-town fairground, or to be parked behind a farmer’s red barn - within Mini Cooper striking distance of, say, a Memphis or a Baton Rouge.

Name:	cattle barn.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	109246

Name:	tie d 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	109249

A couple of winter’s ago, I Mini-motored The Blues Highway, Mississippi # 61, down to New Orleans. At Clarksdale, Mississippi, near the famous Robert Johnson corner were Highway 49 crosses 61, I stumbled upon this gem: | Home

I loved the Shack Up Inn so much that I stayed there on the way back North too.

The Shack Up is on the original, famous Hopson Plantation and virtually unchanged from cotton pick’ in days. The rooms are in a restored cotton gin and in authentic sharecropper’s shacks. The whole thing is like a genius, primitive folk-art piece.

So, the other day, beginning my trip South in my mind, I wrote the owners of the Shack Up to ask if I could park in their yard, behind some sheds, for a week or 10 days at the start of my Mississippi exploration. They replied; “Come on down”.

From Clarksdale I’ll plot whether to turn east or keep going further south, hoping always to find a spot in a park or sports field or fairgrounds -or maybe a farmstead to take me in.

Long ago, planning my rig, I decided to build a “waste management compartment” (fancy talk for a macerator) into the trailer.

Name:	waste.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	109247

I think this gives me options that don’t tie me to dump stations. Maybe we could say that I was planning then so as not to have to plan too much now.

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
Some helpful tools for planning. RV park reviews on line has reviews of rv parks throughout the USA, public and privately owned. AAA has free books on sites to see in different states and also they offer camping guides as well. Garmin navigator when you go to lodging will also give campgrounds within in 15 miles of where you are. An idea of where you want to go is great, but things may change, flexibility is a key. We stated our journey recently and we do not like heat so our plans changed and we continued to go where it was cooler. Also take a tool box something is bound to need a fix, loose screws or a wire drops, it all part of the adventure, Happy Trailering!!!!!!!! The greatest fun!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Thanks for all the response. I didn't expect this much information.
Vernon and Sarah. Your trip is amazing. I am watching and following your route. Keep on posting your trip. Yellowstone is one of our destinations next year.
Looks like it might take more than a couple of weeks for the first trip. That is the advantage of being retired. Just have someone keep the yard work up and stop the mail, you can stay gone as long as you like. We are taking a mini trip in October just to see if everything is working OK. Still have a few things to do to the trailer, but there is plenty of time.
"I love work, I can sit and watch it for hours."

Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by Archersfin View Post
That is the advantage of being retired. Just have someone keep the yard work up and stop the mail, you can stay gone as long as you like.
Another thing to plan is paying bills. We used to do it by mail and check on things by phone. Phone wasn't always reliable and mail could be slow, especially from northwest Canada.

Gradually, over the years, more and more things have been switched over to automatic payments from credit cards. As wifi has expanded, we can check the bills and credit card status online. But credit cards have to be paid and you can't pay those with anther card. Our local bank's one is easy—just call them and tell them to pay it out of our checking account (small bank, easy to deal with). The other card can be paid online (or by phone) from our checking account.

Mail is now unnecessary, but phone is essential. Cell service keeps getting better and wifi, also getting better, helps a lot. So, the old days of writing checks on the dining room table, putting them in envelopes and mailing them is gone—not that we did this willingly, just had to change because of long trips.

We have a neighbor who takes care of things here and when she's on a trip, we reciprocate. It's wonderful to have a responsible and good neighbor. Some people have to hire house sitters or someone to cut the grass. Out in the boonies, the grass just grows, the drip system is automatic, and the neighbor waters the house plants and make sure the cat has food.

So why are we home? The neighbor is on a cruise ship in Alaska.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member
1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Thanks for the heads up.

"I love work, I can sit and watch it for hours."

Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote