Old 04-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyJim View Post
If your battery is in good shape and can take a good charge, you maybe can try portable solar. I have solar on my 25' which pretty well takes care of everything (except microwave, electric coffee pot, etc.). I also have portable solar which I purchased when I had a 27' Airstream. I still use the portable solar in January when the sun angle is low enough on my roof top that I need to be able to supplement it with the portable. The portable is nice in that respect, in that you can point it directly at the sun and maximize what you get from it.
I always travel with a generator in the back of the pickup, but oftentimes go the full five days or a week without using it. Sometimes I break out the generator just to have the convenience of reheating my coffee when my cup gets cold. (Also, to make solar more workable, I replaced all the lighting with LED lights which take about one-fifth the electricity that regular lights take).
Thanks, I'm researching it. I'm definitely converting to LEDs in the lights. Otherwise we are pretty easy on the electricity use, our main load being the fan on the heater at night. But we usually run out after a few days, so I just need to figure out how to recharge while we're there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #16
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyJim View Post
Subfan1, hope to see you in August. We will be in North Pines campground.

Great! I'll be in Lower Pines from July 29th through Aug 30th hope to see you then.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
I've been studying up on Yosemite, and now I'm thinking instead of spending the whole week in the valley, we might start out with a couple nights in Wawona, then go up to the valley for three days, then go up to Tuolumne Meadows for two days. Any advice on this plan? Still ok in November?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Tuolumne meadows store/post office closes when it starts to freeze up there threatening the water system. Ask about when it closes for the winter.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
One more question about Yosemite. I've been reading about all the rules to prevent bears from getting into your stuff. We don't have a grey tank, so we use a blue tote. Is that an issue, since the blue tote would end up with traces of food debris, soap, stuff like that which might smell attractive to a bear?

Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Well, I got my reservations for November, a solid week at Upper Pines! We'll take day trips to explore whatever else is still open depending on the weather with that as our home base. So exciting! This will be the longest trip we've had in many years, and the longest we've ever stayed in one place!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
November is one of my favorite times to go to Yosemite as long as it's not during Thanksgiving. Early in November around Veterans Day is ideal. There are fewer crowds, and if you can time the autumn leaf change, it's even more beautiful. With the drought, the waterfalls will probably be a trickle though. Thanksgiving is extremely crowded so I would avoid that time.

The valley should typically have cold nights, with some frost, and cool to warm days. Rain is a possibility that time of year too. The higher elevations will be colder for sure, with the potential for snow.

If you ride a bicycle, bring it as it's the best way to get around the valley, which is very bike friendly.

Here is a pic from early November a few years back....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3841.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	240721  
Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Hi Stef,
We live in Modesto and we spend most of our camping time in that area. You will love the Park in Nov. Not so many people and the temps will cool down at night.
Just a thought on your route in and out of the Park. Coming from HWY 99 there are 3 ways into the park.

HWY 120 is beautiful and we like to take that way if we are not pulling the trailer. However it has more twisty turns and steeper grades, cliffs and tunnels.

HWY 140 is the way we take if we are pulling the trailer. So much to see that way also. The gradients is more gradual, fewer twisty turns until you get to the beautiful Merced River canyon.

HWY 40 is further South and I am not familiar with it enough to say one way or the other.

All routes are beautiful and will take you through some of California's most beautiful and historic gold country. Getting there is half the adventure. Enjoy the ride.

-Dennis
Old 06-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Planning Yosemite in the fall?

I would imagine your blue tote wouldn't be anymore likely to attract bears than someone's grey water tank itself, assuming the tote seals pretty well. I would just leave it far enough away from your other things that in the unlikely event bears do get into it, the damage will be restricted to your tote with no collateral damage to other things that might get in the way.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I love going to Yosemite although we have never taken the Airstream there. You may want to do the Tuolomne Meadows first, (come in through Lee Vining off 395) then to the Valley. Wawona is very quiet and peaceful. You can exit the park from there and explore Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP. We are planning a trip for the latter in early fall but that may not happen due to the water shortage.
If you want to do a really killer hike try the four mile trail from the Valley to Glacier Point (then take a bus down). You wont regret it
Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
We were unable to get a spot in Wawona on the first weekend of our trip, so I substituted a few more days in Upper Pines instead. In early November my campsite choices were a bit more limited because so many campgrounds are closed.

I'm hoping we will still be able to visit Tuolomne and the Mariposa Pines on day trips while we are there, since we couldn't spend a few days in each location as I had hoped. And I hope Glacier Pt road is open as well, I am dying to see the view from up there.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
Any recommendations for best route for pulling a trailer in and out of Yosemite, highway 41 or highway 140? I.e. which way has the least steep inclines, etc.?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Jim.
We have pulled 140 and it is a nice drive compared to 120 however I don't know (hwy 41). My bad on post #22, (hwy-40)
Perhaps some one else knows that route.

-Dennis
Old 06-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hwy 140 has the least elevation change and follows the Merced River for much of the way. There was a big slide there a few years back they have yet to fix, and because of it have a 45' vehicle length restriction about 20 miles east of Mariposa.

Highway 41 is generally the route I take because it is closest for me. It is curvy with a 6000' pass near Glacier Point Road, and a tunnel, but is a good road. There are a couple spectacular Yosemite Valley views on this route.

I don't know enough about Hwy 120 West of Crane Flat to comment on it, but I have towed several times on 120 East of Crane Flat and over Tioga Pass, but that is another story...