Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Planning unit caravan to N. Ind and Michigan

Hi all,
This year I am the President of the Kentucky WBCCI Unit and I plan on taking some of our members on a 9 day "working man's" special unit caravan. We will be making three main camping stops and hopefully a few stops while traveling as a caravan. Several of our members are quite interested in this trip and I have never done anything like this before.......

I would like your ideas and information on the places we are stopping so I can hone down a good itinerary since we will be "on the move". Hopefully you can give me first hand experience on the best things to see, experience and recommended places to eat. I have poured over the internet and brochures and feel bit overwhelmed.

We will be leaving on June 5th from Kentucky.

Stop #1 - Shipshewana, Indiana -
arrive June 5th leave June 8th. Staying at a campground north of town (shipshewana north park).
- Amish market etc... on June 6th
- Elhart RV museum on June 7th. I think there is a Railroad museum in Elkhart too.

June 8th - Caravaning to Holland, MI - any thing good to see on the way? Will they have room for tow vehicles and trailers?

Stop #2 - Holland , Mi - Staying at Holland State Park.
arrive June 8th leave June 10.
- plan on seeing the Dutch windmill park
- put our feet in the sand of Lake Michigan (water too cold)
- maybe a Dune ride
- what other things in the area are good to see

June 10th - Caravaning to Cedar, Mi - any thing good to see on the way?

Stop #3 - Cedar, Michigan - staying at Leelanau Pines Lakeside camping resort
arrive June 10 leave on June14 (dispersing from that point - some going on the International - I'm going back to work)
- Sleeping Bear Dunes
-Coast Guard rescue facility
- Light house?

Thanks for your input,
Steve
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Planing unit caravan to N. Ind and Michigan

I grew up in Ludington. 100 miles north of Holland. Ludington State Park is one of the best in the state. You should definitely check it out. Lots to do.

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...=468&type=SPRK
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
We've done a lot of camping all over Michigan. Feel free to pm me if you want some more suggestions.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
The Old Rugged Cross notes where the hymn was composed, just nort of Reed City on an old routing of US 131. Still on my bucket list....

Interlochen State Park, near Traverse City, is Michigan's first state park. Next door is the fine arts camp. Both Old Mission and Lelanau light houses are viewable with ease, although Lelanau is in a state park and requires entrance fee, if you do not purchase the seasonal pass.

In Holland is the wooden shoe factory, made to your size. The high school band was known for wearing wooden shoes for marching in parades.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I don't know how firm your plans are, but I would suggest the South Haven/Sagautuck area of Michigan over Holland.

Shipshewana and Elkhart is RV Central, you could spend days just going around to the many RV surplus places buying parts. Also many have factory tours, if you want to see big box and motorhomes build. We love the area and try to get up their once a year.

Also the Region 5 Rally is going to be in that area in the Fall.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have never been to Holland, I was just thinking about the big windmill located there. At this point I think we can be a bit flexible.

Please tell me more about Ludington. What type of things would there be to do? Any dune rides in the area? Historical things to see?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Holland is a great little town with a beautiful downtown. You are just a few minutes north of Saugatuck and south of Grand Haven on a terrific beach. Try to get your group into the section closest to the lake. Up north you'll be in wine and hops country. You can tour wineries over toward Traverse City including the one owned by Madonna's family. Leland fish town is a great stop for fresh fish from Carlson's fishery. In the Dunes area be sure to do the Pearce Stocking drive (without your trailers) for spectacular views of the lake and the sand dunes. Stop at Art's Travern in Glen Arbor for a great hamburger, Cherry Republic for everything under the sun that can be made from cherries and walk the beach at Empire where the dunes tower over the beach. It will be a great trip.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Alden , MI
We are future Airstream owners who live near Traverse City on Torch Lake. (We are planning on buying and doing a gut job reno in the next year or two. Our intro is in the intro forum) Any chance we could come over to where you are camping and get to meet folks and see your Airstreams and just say hi?
Old 02-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagvan View Post
We are future Airstream owners who live near Traverse City on Torch Lake. (We are planning on buying and doing a gut job reno in the next year or two. Our intro is in the intro forum) Any chance we could come over to where you are camping and get to meet folks and see your Airstreams and just say hi?
You're responding to a six year old post.