Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
Question Planning trip to Chokoloskee Island / Everglades Natl. park

Wanted to use the resources of the forum members to get input on a trip to Chokoloskee Island FL in the Everglades Nat'l Park. We want to kayak in the Ten Thousand Islands, air boat ride in the park, fish for snook, reds and trout with a charter guide and from the kayaks and find other fun and interesting things to do while we are there for most of the week.

Thinking about the Outdoor Resort on Chokoloskee to be right on the water and have dock space for fishing, dining and sitting. not usually a RV Resort kind of camper but it does look nice and the state park inland is closed for renovation and I like the idea of being so close to the water and having a view.

October / November time frame - how bad will the bugs be? Should i pack the bug and rain suits?

Thanks for any input and guidance.

Bonnie
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bonnie,

I have had numerous service calls at ORA in Chokoloskee. You will still have plenty of bugs in Oct. in addition, I would be sure that there will be a dock available for you as a renter, since almost all dock space is used by owners.

Call their rental office to be sure. You will be 5 minutes from the entrance of Everglades NP.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
We got a great spot. And our little pup "Lewie" is enjoying the space.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1478541011.724578.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	274996Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1478541030.928433.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	274997
Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLucy View Post
We got a great spot. And our little pup "Lewie" is enjoying the space.
Attachment 274996Attachment 274997

How do you like the area? I'm looking forward to visiting and boating the Islands and that area of Florida, an area we haven't really visited yet.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I really enjoy that area!

I've been going to Chockoloskee Island/Everglade City on an occasional fishing trips for almost 20 years. I'm going again today, but I'm not camping. I have camped in my trailer at the state park, but not on the island. I usually stay in the old historic sportsman's club and I hire a local fishing guide each time.

The skeeters and or no-see-ums can be viscous at times, but that is part of the experience. Be prepared!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
How do you like the area? I'm looking forward to visiting and boating the Islands and that area of Florida, an area we haven't really visited yet.

We really liked it. Slow paced, nice people, interesting history and good fishing.

Bonnie
WBCCI# 13031
Old 11-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I really enjoy that area!

I've been going to Chockoloskee Island/Everglade City on an occasional fishing trips for almost 20 years. I'm going again today, but I'm not camping. I have camped in my trailer at the state park, but not on the island. I usually stay in the old historic sportsman's club and I hire a local fishing guide each time.

The skeeters and or no-see-ums can be viscous at times, but that is part of the experience. Be prepared!

We enjoyed the area. And the bugs were not bad at all.

Bonnie
WBCCI# 13031
Old 11-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLucy View Post
We really liked it. Slow paced, nice people, interesting history and good fishing.
Bonnie
WBCCI# 13031
Thanks for letting me know. I'm really looking forward to seeing the islands and getting some fishing in. Glad all went well.
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote