Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Planning the Sept 2015 trip, Michigan?

I am able to take a 'leave of absence' in September. We are planning a trip out of the heat and humidity of the Everglades and were thinking of Michigan. In the spirit of adventure we have NO IDEA what is there or what we should plan for. We love hiking and history and most anything we can do with a friendly Beagle in tow. This year we did NC and focused on the Asheville area, year before it was Santa Fe, NM. Do you have any suggestions for the MI area? Other near by states?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I suggest Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) Island and that entire area. We were there a year ago and really enjoyed it. From there we went up to the Upper Pennisula and visited Sault Ste. Marie to see the locks, and then went over to White Fish Point to the Maritime Museum, and then over to Munising to see the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. We spent two weeks, but could have spent lots more because I know we just hit some of the main high points.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post
I am able to take a 'leave of absence' in September. We are planning a trip out of the heat and humidity of the Everglades and were thinking of Michigan. In the spirit of adventure we have NO IDEA what is there or what we should plan for. We love hiking and history and most anything we can do with a friendly Beagle in tow. This year we did NC and focused on the Asheville area, year before it was Santa Fe, NM. Do you have any suggestions for the MI area? Other near by states?

Traverse City. Best outdoor activities, best scenery, best food, best wine, friendliest folks. I'm a little biased, but when you do some research I think you'll find lots of support. Oh, and Mackinaw Island ferry is only two hours away! Let us know if you head up here!

WBCCI #7246
Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We did that exact trip this past summer. Stayed at Ludington State Park (beach beautiful, facilities nice, but campsites close together where we camped.) if you go after Labor Day and kids back in school, maybe you'll have more choices. Next stayed in Mackinaw City at Mackinaw Mill Creek. Large campground with sites of all types. What we especially liked was the bike trail from campground to the ferry to take us to Mackinac Island. If you're a bike rider be sure and ride the entire island. We had lunch at the Grand Hotel (100.00 for two), but checked that one off bucket list. Next we drove all the way to Copper Harbor. Here's where we made the mistake. Bit off more than we could chew in one day. So much to see in the UP, take your time, stop often, stop at visitor centers and get info on everything that there is to see. Stayed at Fanny Hooe in Copper Harbor. Nice, small family campground. Beautiful area. There is a state park up the road you might like. Google "Bond Falls, MI" and be sure and take the time. That was somewhere between Mackinaw City and Copper Harbor. Voted one of best waterfalls in the U.S. Have fun.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We love to drive the UP's Lake Superior shore....one end to the other. There are lots of inexpensive, county campgrounds and it is spectacularly beautiful.

Go to the Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Bay, be sure to get to Copper Harbor State Park and take the ferry from Bayfield to Madeleine Island....where you can camp in a state or county campground.

A beautiful part of the country, one of our favorites.

Maggie
Old 10-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
While you are there, be sure to register for Urban Air in Eaton Rapids. This year we had 65 beautiful Airstream trailers (and one beautiful Interstate) camping out on Main St for three nights. Meet Airstreamers from all over the country, help a local economy, and have tons of fun. It's a win, win, win!
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
The UP (Upper Peninsula) is fabulous! We were there for the first time several years ago when our son started school at Michigan Tech in Houghton.

Places like Copper Harbor, Keweenah Peninsula, Picture Rocks, Porcupine Mountains... just for starters. We were on the UP just a few weeks ago and the fall colors were spectacular! We love this area for its' beauty, hiking, biking, kayaking...

Last winter the area had a little over 28 feet of snow, but you are safe in September/October.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	224551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	224552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	224553  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Michigan is a wonderful place to see with an Airstream. Now I am a bit biased because I grew up there.

My recommendation would be to tour the entire coastline of Michigan. I would start on the ease coast and run up the entire coast on Lake Huron to Mackinac Island, Go east once in the UP then go to Dummond Island, then go north to Sault Saint Marie then west along the shore of Lake Superior. In Munising we stayed at the city park and don't miss the Pictured Rocks boat cruise. Go in the afternoon. Head west to Marquette then west to Copper Harbor then south to the north shore of Lake Michigan then back to Mackinac, then follow the shore of Lake Michigan through Traverse City, then Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes then south to Holland. What a great way to spend a month or two. We used mostly National Forest and State forest campgrounds because they were cheaper and offered larger sites with privacy and we like to boondock.

Have fun, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Upper Michigan in September

Upper Michigan would be an excellent choice for September!

The Mackinaw Bridge that spans the lake between the upper and lower peninsula is awe inspiring; a true wonder of the world.

Just across the bridge on the upper side is Mackinaw Island, a restored town that takes you back to early America and its fort system. Google the Island and you will find photos that would make any attempt of mine to describe it paltry by comparison. The Lake Superior coast is very interesting and if you drove all the way to the copper country (upper thumb of upper hand) you will find autumn colors that rival New England due to the preponderance of maple trees. Great history... Calumet once had more millionaires than any U.S. city outside of New York City. Copper was king and you can still find native copper (almost pure) sitting on top of the ground if you look.

Houghton (not Houghton Lake) is the home to Michigan Technological University, which I think still has its own sawmill for the Forestry Dept.

Watch the weather and check the almanacs. Some years September has beautiful color and pleasant afternoons, but others it gets instantly cold and rains, and the leaves drop almost overnight.

I lived in the Houghton area for 3 years, and could be talked into driving my 22 Safari up there (have my mother and some sisters and a brother in St Paul, MN so I could catch them on the way up). Thanks for making me think of it.

Oh, by the way, Isle Royale National Park is a 45 mile long island about 5 miles wide that sits about 45 miles from the Lake Superior shore in the Copper Country. It is not accessible by car or TT, but you can fly out in a pontoon boat or take the National Park ship out and it is also exceptional. I used to run it with a 20 foot Mako in 70 minutes in flat water, but the ship takes 5-6 hours. Plane is more expensive, but worth the ride.
If you have the time, it would also be a great side trip... look it up on the web. There are moose and wolves on the island as natural occupants. The lake has rarely frozen over, so there is a lot of debate about how they got there.

Hope this helps.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Michigan is like two Floridas, being two peninsulas. Just follow the coastlines for some beautiful scenery. The interior is flat, lake country, with its own features and appeal. Michigan is also trailer and Airstream centric, with more 'Streams than anyplace else I've been, it seems. Check out the Tin Can Tourists for some vintage raliys to stop at.
The Gilmore Car Museum near K'Zoo is worth going out of your way for, as is Greenfield Village near Detroit.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
That snowfall meter is kinda scary!!!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Consider Grand Marais next to Picture Rocks National Shoreline. Campground galore in the upper. Even national forest. The entire upper ( pronounced yupper). Going on the lighthouse trail also

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Make sure to include the Leelanau Peninsula (just north of Traverse City) in your itinerary. This is one of the most beautiful parts of the state.

Leelanau Peninsula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail | Explore the Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail

Leelanau County, Traverse City & Northern Michigan News, Events, Photos & Visitor Information

Leelanau State Park Detail

Camping and Lodging :: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Wow this thread is great timing for me - I'm planning my first trip to MI (outside of a trip to Saugatuk two year agos) this July. Let me ask you Michigan folks - have any of you taken your airstream on this Ferry from Ludington to Manitowac? Based on this thread my iternerary is now Saugatuk (Holland State Park), to Mackinaw City, to Sleeping Bear Dunes, to Ludington where I'd take the Ferry to Wisconsin for Door County.
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
I've been on the ferry a few times, but never with the Airstream. Sounds like a nice loop you have planned. Sleeping Bear Dunes is our local spot, so reply or message if you want any additional info.

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367
Old 01-09-2015, 05:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Loislane, we crossed on the S.S. Badger 3 years ago. Here are a few observations. It will save you driving about 400 miles, but will take just as long & cost you more. The time is based on a 3-4 hour crossing & arriving for departure 2 hours before & unloading time.The cost is based on length. For our LY & car it was in the $400 range. You won't be allowed to stay in either vehicle & your pets aren't allowed out of them.The crew puts your vehicles on & off the ferry. Passengers have several areas to pass the time…none of them are exceptional. You can spend the night in your trailer in the ferry lot in Ludington or Manitowac. We did the last crossing of the day, which meant we sailed into a beautiful sunset over Lake Michigan. Arrived on the other side of the lake at midnight & slept in our LY in the ferry lot. We woke up the next morning to a sunrise across the water. Sunrise/sunset…the best part of the crossing! We made this a one way trip & drove back across the U.P.
So, if you are open to suggestions, I would not cross via the ferry, flip-flop a couple of your stops & drive to Door Co. Something like this…Holland State Park to Sleeping Bear Dunes to Mackinaw. Cross the bridge & take highway 2 across to Door co.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Schools thanks so much for your feedback - I think I will change plans based on your recommendation. One more question if I can impose on your goodwill - should I skip Ludington State Park and split that pretty long drive to Door County from Mackinaw into two days? I think its either or at this point based on the length of my trip I don't think I could do both. What we are finding is that when Google gives us an hour estimate for a drive we usually have to multiply that by 40% for towing - at least we did when we were in Colorado so that's what we are doing for this trip too. That drive to Peninsula State Park is pretty long (Google says its 6 hours - ends up being 8.4 for us with our 40%) so we might want to split that into two 4 hour days. I see some cool stuff up there on the map - What would you do stop in the middle to see something cool up north or do the long drive and see Ludington?
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Loislane, that's a tough one…Ludington SP is pretty special. But, it is only about 2 hours north of Holland SP and another 2 hours to Sleeping Bear. So, it seems the one to skip…this trip.
We made the drive from Door Co. to a campground on the north side of the bridge in one day. Not my preference, but it was the tail-end of a month long trip & the push to get home was on. Highway 2 through the UP is a great road. (As of last summer) Should you decide to make it a 2 day drive, check out Fayette SP. It's a historic village on Big Bay De Noc. I'm not sure if you can camp there, but, many signs for campgrounds along 2.
Whatever you decide, enjoy the trip.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Huntley , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post

Consider going to grand Marais Michigan. Picture Rock National Shoreline.
Many camping areas. Federal state and nice one in Grand Marais MI. No reservations there and check local activities there. The little rock museum there was listed as a best place to visit in Traveler mag. Great area. Hemingway fished the Big Two Hearted river in this area.
chegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In September be prepared for cool weather. Jacket in the mornings and evenings.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote