Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
I've been on the ferry a few times, but never with the Airstream. Sounds like a nice loop you have planned. Sleeping Bear Dunes is our local spot, so reply or message if you want any additional info.

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367

Old 01-09-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Loislane, we crossed on the S.S. Badger 3 years ago. Here are a few observations. It will save you driving about 400 miles, but will take just as long & cost you more. The time is based on a 3-4 hour crossing & arriving for departure 2 hours before & unloading time.The cost is based on length. For our LY & car it was in the $400 range. You won't be allowed to stay in either vehicle & your pets aren't allowed out of them.The crew puts your vehicles on & off the ferry. Passengers have several areas to pass the time…none of them are exceptional. You can spend the night in your trailer in the ferry lot in Ludington or Manitowac. We did the last crossing of the day, which meant we sailed into a beautiful sunset over Lake Michigan. Arrived on the other side of the lake at midnight & slept in our LY in the ferry lot. We woke up the next morning to a sunrise across the water. Sunrise/sunset…the best part of the crossing! We made this a one way trip & drove back across the U.P.
So, if you are open to suggestions, I would not cross via the ferry, flip-flop a couple of your stops & drive to Door Co. Something like this…Holland State Park to Sleeping Bear Dunes to Mackinaw. Cross the bridge & take highway 2 across to Door co.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Schools thanks so much for your feedback - I think I will change plans based on your recommendation. One more question if I can impose on your goodwill - should I skip Ludington State Park and split that pretty long drive to Door County from Mackinaw into two days? I think its either or at this point based on the length of my trip I don't think I could do both. What we are finding is that when Google gives us an hour estimate for a drive we usually have to multiply that by 40% for towing - at least we did when we were in Colorado so that's what we are doing for this trip too. That drive to Peninsula State Park is pretty long (Google says its 6 hours - ends up being 8.4 for us with our 40%) so we might want to split that into two 4 hour days. I see some cool stuff up there on the map - What would you do stop in the middle to see something cool up north or do the long drive and see Ludington?
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Loislane, that's a tough one…Ludington SP is pretty special. But, it is only about 2 hours north of Holland SP and another 2 hours to Sleeping Bear. So, it seems the one to skip…this trip.
We made the drive from Door Co. to a campground on the north side of the bridge in one day. Not my preference, but it was the tail-end of a month long trip & the push to get home was on. Highway 2 through the UP is a great road. (As of last summer) Should you decide to make it a 2 day drive, check out Fayette SP. It's a historic village on Big Bay De Noc. I'm not sure if you can camp there, but, many signs for campgrounds along 2.
Whatever you decide, enjoy the trip.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Huntley , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post
I am able to take a 'leave of absence' in September. We are planning a trip out of the heat and humidity of the Everglades and were thinking of Michigan. In the spirit of adventure we have NO IDEA what is there or what we should plan for. We love hiking and history and most anything we can do with a friendly Beagle in tow. This year we did NC and focused on the Asheville area, year before it was Santa Fe, NM. Do you have any suggestions for the MI area? Other near by states?

Consider going to grand Marais Michigan. Picture Rock National Shoreline.
Many camping areas. Federal state and nice one in Grand Marais MI. No reservations there and check local activities there. The little rock museum there was listed as a best place to visit in Traveler mag. Great area. Hemingway fished the Big Two Hearted river in this area.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In September be prepared for cool weather. Jacket in the mornings and evenings.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Woodbine , Georgia
Michigan is one of our favorite states to visit. I like to catch HWY 31 at Holland and follow it up the west coast, The west coast has the most picturesque towns--ie Traverse City, Charlevoix, and Petoskey. Follow 31 up to Mackinaw and cross the bridge. Here you make the decision to go to Mackinac Island--I went once and never wanted to go back. It reminded me of a tourist trap in Florida. Entering the UP the Soo Locks are special if you like boats--I do and enjoy Sault Ste Marie. Follow the southern rim of Lake Superior as there is much to do and see. To me the best place in the UP is the Keweenaw Peninsular. There a camp ground on the water in downtown Houghton. It should be still open September as it closed the 1st part of October last year. Just remember everywhere in the UP is a long way from anything. Plan fuel and stops wisely. The people and the sights in the UP cannot be beaten. Homeward bound we go south through WI--great things to see and do there.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
I'm obviously a little biased, but having lived in MI all my life and camped everywhere, you cannot miss Traverse City and Sleeping Bear. This is truly a magical place and we feel very blessed to be able to live here...we'd love to share our area and tell you about "must visit" special spots with any fellow ASers venturing up our way.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Platte River Campgound, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, November 1, 2014Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421290661.661293.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	230442

WBCCI #7246
Michigan Unit
Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member)
AIR #91367