Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hey!!

We are super excited for you. You have expressed several of our goals we hope to achieve over the next few years. We currently full time in a 34' airstream in South Austin with one cat. Neither of our jobs would allow us to work on the road, so we too are planning on purchasing an RV park that would give us the freedom to travel where the wind blows us. Our idea is to have a full time park like the one we currently live in and use it as a home base. The residents here have been here on the average of 15 years and are responsible for the upkeep of their own lot. I can't think of a better business model that takes care of itself!

Hope all your plans come together and we look forward to the updates. You're in for an exciting adventure

~Yevette

Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #16

1974 31' Sovereign
Black Mt , North Carolina
Jonathan and I drove to Alaska from NC iin 1999. Gas was cheap. We stopped in Canisteo to pick up some friends. 9 ppl in an old Shasta camper. We called it the "shafta" Some things I remember, it took a week of tandum driving night and day to get to Ancourage where we picked up another person. From the airport. Two things never pass a gas station and always get gas nomatter what. One time we slept in the parking lot of a gas station to wait for it to open. #2 at the state line people nail all kinds of stuff to a pole to "mark" that they have been there. We have a plaque with all our names on it so bring a moment to add. You will have a blast! Dawn

Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Regarding the trip to Kodiak... Go, but leave the trailer, and maybe the rig. You may be better off to fly over, rent a car and motel it. If you can, get a couple of days of guided fishing in. A place that I like is the Kodiak Lodge at Larson Bay on the north side of the island. Nice facilities, nice folks, great fishing. After hours entertainment is going up to the village dump when the kids take the fish carcasses up. Here's what the garbage disposals look like...

It's a bit unnerving to be that close to over a 1000 lbs of bear, plus lots of them, but it is interesting to say the least.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth also as I have been there and "seen the elephant". From Austin I would travel to Santa Fe, NM, then north through Flagstaff and on to southern Utah. Lots of neat places along the way. Then from Utah up to Boise and north through McCall, Idaho and on to Couer 'd Alene. Thence west to Spokane, north on 395 to Cascade, BC. Take Hwy 3 to Hwy 97 up the Okanogan Valley(prettiest place on the earth), then on to Kamloops, BC. Take Hwy 5 to Hwy 16 to Prince Rupert then take the ferry to Anchorage. You won't miss anything on the south end of the Alcan Hwy. Try and get to Anchorage in August which is the best month in Alaska period. Go to Fairbanks if you must and take the pipeline haul road into the Brooks Range. You will be disappointed after going through BC but you can say you went. By then you will want to come back to the US and take the ferry from Anchorage to Seattle and stay on the coast for a while and enjoy a beautiful fall with great crab fishing close to any bay you camp. Like was said, your "bible" will be the Milepost, a "must have" on any trip to Alaska or Canada. Keep us posted.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I would have to take exception to this comment Pap!
"You will be disappointed after going through BC but you can say you went."

Every mile of this journey is a fantastic entertainment show that few actually experience in their short lifespan. It is a long trip, so try to break the trip up so not to actually tire of the travel experience.

Keep in mind, those ferry rides are expensive, and you are not allowed to use your trailer while enroute. That means dead battery or warm beer/food.
You bought that trailer to use. When you want to go on a sea cruise, leave the trailer at home.

If you keep alert, you will see this Cockshutt harnessed seeder equipment setup pictured below on the east side of the route while heading north. Report in after spotting and we will know you have got at least 1/2 way there.

Don't miss the Liard Hot Spring campground and pools.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...jhUsI9MTOSHTcw

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth also as I have been there and "seen the elephant". From Austin I would travel to Santa Fe, NM, then north through Flagstaff and on to southern Utah. Lots of neat places along the way. Then from Utah up to Boise and north through McCall, Idaho and on to Couer 'd Alene. Thence west to Spokane, north on 395 to Cascade, BC. Take Hwy 3 to Hwy 97 up the Okanogan Valley(prettiest place on the earth), then on to Kamloops, BC. Take Hwy 5 to Hwy 16 to Prince Rupert then take the ferry to Anchorage. You won't miss anything on the south end of the Alcan Hwy. Try and get to Anchorage in August which is the best month in Alaska period. Go to Fairbanks if you must and take the pipeline haul road into the Brooks Range. You will be disappointed after going through BC but you can say you went. By then you will want to come back to the US and take the ferry from Anchorage to Seattle and stay on the coast for a while and enjoy a beautiful fall with great crab fishing close to any bay you camp. Like was said, your "bible" will be the Milepost, a "must have" on any trip to Alaska or Canada. Keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009%20from%20Heathers%20laptop%203446.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	178982  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I agree with Masseyfarm! We love BC!!!

Like Brer Rabbit said, "Don't throw me in dat der briar patch."
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #21

1974 31' Sovereign
Black Mt , North Carolina
Masseyfarm you are right the pools are awesome
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
I have to agree with the advice to stay off the ferrys with a trailer unless you have major $ available. As to your spare tire question - we used to carry multiple spares when we were using bias ply tires and there were major amount of gravel on the highways. Now with radial tires we only carry one for each. The Alaska highway has been fully paved for years with the exception of construction zones and some of the last few miles in the Yukon. Whenever we've had tire trouble on the trailer, from rocks thru the tread it was always the rear trailer axle. So keep an extra eye on that if you have a dual axle trailer.

As I said previously there is no way I'd drag a AS up the Dalton very far and not across the Denali at all. If you choose to do this however you may want to consider the extra spare (especially for the Dalton since services are basicly non existant.)

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
I agree with Masseyfarm! We love BC!!!

Like Brer Rabbit said, "Don't throw me in dat der briar patch."
I do too; I never said anything but great stuff about BC. What I said was that if one drives from Fairbanks to Prudoe Bay, you will be disappointed after seeing the beauty of BC. The Brooks Range is vast but lacks the majestic beauty of almost anywhere in BC. To each his own regarding the ferry. I found it to be quite nice and relaxing. Got to see all of the inland Alaskan towns except for Ketchican which was rained/fogged in-like 330 days a year.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Sorry I misunderstood your comment Pap. But, like politics, any statement can be misconstrued to be put in another light.

I still think the boat trips are an adventure all by themselves.

Dave
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yeah, the Liard Hot Springs are nearly worth the trip on their own. Plan to spend at least a couple of hours soaking away all of the road aches and pains in whatever temp of warm water suits you ... and then a few hours dozing it off back in your trailer!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
SignPost Forest, Watson Lake

Before you leave home, go to your city works department and ask for a small, new or blemished, "home town sign" that you can take with you for mounting/display at this museum. Keep track of your mileage to there and write it on with permanent marker so others can have an idea of how far you have traveled. Mark the back of the sign with you name and date. Leave a note in your estate safety deposit box, so your next generation will have an excuse to blow all their inheritance following your travels.
60.063363,-128.714168 - Google Maps

http://www.yukoninfo.com/watson/signpostforest.htm

The whole idea is to leave your mark on this planet before you move on to the next one! Just like the early explorers did.

Document everything on the way, so that you can research what you missed on the first trip, to justify the second tour before the end.

Dave
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Count us In

We also will be traveling to Alaska this summer. We will be coming up the west coast. Crossing over to Victoria for a week and then to Prince Rupert. May 18 we will catch the ferry to Ketchican, Wrangel, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau, and ending in Haines. We will spend several days at each stop. Look forward to crossing paths with any others up that way. We will be the Airstream 25 with OH plates.

Did the land trip in 2007 blogged here. I would second what others have said. It is a great trip and not to be hurried.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #28
http://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Kodiak

Your Alaska trip sounds great...I'll be doing the same once I get my AS and hit the road!

I spent three summers in Kodiak and highly recommend it as a destination. I'm not sure of the cost of bringing the AS by ferry versus leaving it behind but either way you go, I would definitely take the ferry from Homer (a must visit) over flying. Of the five or so crossings I've done, only one was particularly rough.

You may want to contact Kyle Bolstad regarding ferry travel in the panhandle. He writes a bit about that in his blog (Where Is Kyle Now?). A lot of towns in the panhandle are only accessible by ferry so that's a great way to get around that part of the state.

If you do take the ferry to Kodiak, you can stay at Buskin River Campground. There is a state park called Fort Ambercrombie but I think it's only for tent camping. Kodiak itself doesn't have a vast road network but when you're there you'll want to have a vehicle to get around...especially if you do some exploring out to places like Pasagshak.

If you're up for an adventure, I have friends who run a bear viewing lodge on Aleut Island in Uyak Bay. It's accessible by floatplane and a great way to see Kodiak bears in their natural environment. The website is: KODIAK TREKS.

Happy planning and hope to see you on the road someday!

Cheers,

John