Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Planning - Almost as Much Fun as Camping

Some friends of ours in New Mexico just decided to visit Oreon in the Fall. We decided to go on a two week tour of the Oregon Coast, north to south, meeting up at Fort Stevens SP near Astoria and ending up at Harris Beach SP near Brookings. Oregon State Parks on the Coast are *very* popular (rightfully so), and things can be tight even in the Fall.

I just spent most of the last two days putting together my dream itinerary. I'm somewhat familar with the Oregon Coast as I've lived here for over 40 years, but it's amazing how much you can learn about your own state. It was really interesting to research things - I actually dug out a few nuggets (at least nuggets to me). I even found one NFS campground that is more or less on the beach. Twelve bucks to camp next to the crashing surf, not bad.

I was very fortunate to book everything that I wanted and got the last two sites in two of the parks. There seem to be a lot of expensive commercial parks on the coast but I didn't book any of those. I imagine they make their living when the public parks are full. I'd hate to compete with Oregon State Parks which are some of the finest in the country.

Very excited about the outing, but the planning was a lot of fun also.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
This spring, we stayed at several Oregon State Park campgrounds on our roadtrip up PCH/Hwy-1 from San Francisco to Seattle. All of the campgrounds on the Oregon coast were outstanding!

We stayed at Cape Blanco State Park (SP) near Port Orford, Beachside SP near Waldport, Nehalem Bay SP near Manzanita and Fort Stevens SP in Astoria.

Cape Blanco has a great hike that goes from the campground out to the point that the lighthouse is on. Beachside has a wide flat beach that's only 50-100 feet away from most campsites, and we enjoyed several beautiful sunset walks. Nehalem Bay has a great beach, but you have to hike a little farther over the dunes to get to it. And, Fort Stevens is just a beautiful park with lots to see and do inside the park and in nearby Astoria. Plus, there's a Fred Meyer's and Costco (with gas pumps) just outside the park. And, don't miss the Columbia River Maritime Museum.

Tip for Fort Stevens: Park in the sun, if you can, as the shady campsites have swarms of mosquitos. When we were there, they weren't too aggressive; but they were big, and the swarms were thick. After moving to a campsite in the sun, there were no mosquitos during the day and very few at night. However, we were there when it was raining every day, so the bugs may have subsided, now.

We also visited the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, home of Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose, after it was moved from Long Beach, CA. Lots of other very interesting old aircraft on display, too. We stayed at Old Stone Village RV Park, which is immediately adjacent to the museum; and walked across the field to see the planes. The rates at Old Stone Village were a little pricey. However, it's a beautiful RV park; and the convenient location and excellent facilities made it worth the extra expense.

We loved the Oregon coast and hope to go back soon!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote