Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah

Im not sure you mentioned, specifically when? If you are going from June 1 on.. It will be hot.. really hot. Too hot for me. I would seek elevation. Utah's mountains are every bit as breath taking as the southern rock formations. Hwy 12 (Boulder, Escalante, etc) is my favorite road in the state.. Yes, there are cliffs. Drive slow.. Man up to it. Calf Creek Falls is on it, incredible. The list is huge.. sort of like asking what to see in Oregon in a week! Have a great trip!

streamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Ormond Beach , Florida
I am starting to get the feeling that we need to postpone the trip to Utah. One week with 4 days of driving to and back just doesn't seem like it will be enough for this trip. It really sounds like we should save this trip for a couple of years when we retire and can really take our time and really see this state.
OK back to the drawing board for an August week closer to home in Oregon.
Thanks and I will start a file for all the great suggestions you all posted for us.

Mikec1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master
One week is enough.....

If you go for one week, every year, for the rest of your life.

My advice for when you go. Focus on just a few places each trip. Maybe for your first trip, you could drop your trailer off, and do a marathon drive, just to get a feel for things and where you might like to spend some time.
Research the daytime and nighttime temperatures. At the perfect time of year it can be 95 degrees during the day, but 15 minutes after the sun goes down, it could be 45 degrees. And as Streamahead mentioned, elevation plays a huge part in the temperatures and comfort levels.
We did our hiking and driving from 5 - 9 am and pm. You should plan to do SOME hiking even if you aren't hikers. You simply can not see the coolest stuff from inside your vehicle. That being said, the journey to any destination in the southwest, is spectacular, even if you just drive by. Bryce and Arches are great for short hikes. ALWAYS have a gallon of water on your person. If you set a plastic water container down, consider it given to critters.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote