Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The Space Coast is certainly worth a visit. If you haven't been in awhile there are many new attractions at the KSC including one whole complex dedicated to the Apollo program and Moon Landings (take the bus tour to visit.) While the area is somewhat depressed since the shuttle program ended, the surge in private enterprise in the Space program is revitalizing the Center, and the launches are if anything, more frequent. A favorite of ours is the SpaceX Falcon 9... See Spaceflight Now | Tracking Station | Worldwide launch schedule for a current schedule.

The last shuttle launch I went to, out of many over the years, was the next to last, and the crowd was numbered at over 500 thousand! The traffic jam leaving the launch (mostly headed back to Orlando and points west) lasted for HOURs... Not so with these private launches. And there are still very accessible points to pull off with a trailer and many great campgrounds in the area including on Merritt Island. Nowadays we take our B-Van down and if the launch is delayed, we spend a leisurely few hours in comfort and generally camp for a few days for longer delays. Well worth checking out any time of year. And if you are just passing through, the KSC parking accommodates RVs as well.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
And if you are a Car freak, I highly recommend the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance... Sister event to the Pebble Beach Concours which is held in the fall, this event is held in Mid March on the grounds of the Ritz Carlton. While you can shell out the big bucks to attend the evening galas, there are free events as well. Lots of beautiful and classic cars to be seen and the weather is usually delightful. This coming year's event appears to have a rather interesting program being lined up: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/-...id=VUCLgxg6CKQ

Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
How I reward myself for the excruciating drive to south FL: Shorty's Barbeque Restaurants and Catering Services in South Florida
Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
If you want a very nice B&B in Key West, we really like the Angelina Guest House. It is well run, has a great heated pool. (Important!! Especially in spring or fall). And great location. In KW you just rent bicycles and zip around. It's flat and easy.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I've lived in Florida my entire life and can't imagine living anywhere else. Although it is wonderful to be able to escape the heat in mid-summer, it is incredible to be in Florida during the Winter (no shoveling snow here!). We just returned from a trip to the Keys and stayed at BlueWater Key on the 14 mile marker. Not cheap, but an extremely nice campground. I saw where someone else mentioned Beverly Beach and it is a lovey campground - The St. Augustine/Flagler Beach area are so enjoyable (St.Augustine for the historical part and Flagler Beach for an enjoyable east coast beach experience with NO crowds). Port DeSoto Park in St. Pete on the West coast is a great County Park. Most all of the State Parks are great, but as mentioned a little hard to get into during the extreme Winter months. I live in Lake Placid - a very small quaint town with murals on almost every wall in town, about 30 fresh water lakes and a laid back easy feeling. The panhandle is beautiful. Fort Wilderness is a nice park if you want to stay on Disney Property. There's a great KOA in Lake Whippoorwill in EastOrlando that we have enjoyed many times. Sun and Fun in Sarasota is a very large campground that we recently enjoyed. October through May are great times to visit our wonderful State!

Let the good times roll! Laura & Tom
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think Key West is worth a trip, just because it's there, at the end of that beautiful drive thru the others.

It is touristy, and can be crowded, but also has beautiful old architecture and the end-of-the-world funkiness that NOLA's French Quarter has.

And, if you are a Hemingway fan....there's the house to tour.

If you want to see it, go, IMO. Don't be scared off by what you may not like.

Take what you need, and leave the rest, as they say.

Maggie