Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2020 30' Classic
Jackson , New Jersey
Planning a trip out west - appreciate some input

Hi,
I'm hijacking my husband's forum right now while he's at work. I've never posted to any forum before. We are planning a trip from the east coast out to Yellowstone by way of the Dakotas. We'll be heading west through PA first. Ideally, we hope to see the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Zion and maybe Bryce national parks. If we could swing it in a 3 week time frame, I'd love to try to see the Grand Canyon as well, but that's probably asking too much. I'd also love to see Glacier National Park. Some of these things will probably have to wait for another adventure, but I'm hoping to experience as many of these beautiful sites as we can manage since getting 3 consecutive weeks off from work is near impossible. We figure that we'd like to spend the most time in Yellowstone - probably about a week.

Has anyone taken a trip like this or stayed in a "must see it to believe it" campground where we're heading? We have a pull trailer 25' Flying Cloud. We love nature, hiking, etc. But I also don't want to rough it too much. I don't care about tv or microwaves, but I don't like the idea of going more than a day or two without showers!

Unfortunately the only time of year we can go is August. So, I'm sure it's going to be super crowded.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
cprpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Why not set up your own account under your name. Helps keep the confusion down.
I hope to be able head out west later this year or next. Might try to do a little work camping at the Canyon or other park. Still got a few ties here that I need to cut lose from.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow, quite an itinerary and time frame.

I might do a MapQuest or Trip planner plugging all those destinations in and see the mileage and time frame without any time frames. Then modify from there.

It can be done, by doing the drive thru in each park and a highlight attraction in each but its very rushed.

For instance, at the Grand Canyon you park and look over the edge, at Brice and Zion you just drive thru and do the pullouts.

Then you can always decide which ones to come back to. And keep in mind as you said all the parks will be busy so getting thru is more time consuming. Especially if the bison want to cross the road and then change their mind and just stand there for an hour.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome,

That is a lot of territory to cover and indulge in over 21 days. In 2014 we spent 9 days in Zion, Bryce Canyon and just skimmed the surface of all there was to immerse ourselves in.

Last Summer I had a conference in Salt Lake City so we flew in early and spent 3 days in Grand Teton National Park. Hiked 33 miles in two days and spent the last day piddling around the park. We decided then that on our next trip out we'll attend each park 5 to 7 days each, as there is just too much beauty to see.

Don't forget Utah's Route 12 or the National Monuments, and State Parks.

http://www.scenicbyway12.com/wp-cont...oute_guide.pdf

Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument | Utah.com

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Like others have said, Slow down. If you have only two weeks, a trip to Yellowstone is feasible with short stops at Mount Rushmore, Badlands and maybe a stop in the Midwest like Wisconsin Dells is feasible. Jackson, Wyo and the Grand Tetons can be added since they are on the way.
If you plan to do more than that, you will be rushed, have to drive too much and have to rest up from your vacation when you get back.
If you are planning to stay in the Parks, it is best to make reservations ahead of time.
You may not have hookups, but you will always have a hot shower. Perhaps you will have to haul water so take a 5 gallon "jerry can" and add water from it ahead of time so you won't be learning how to do it in the campground.
You can stay in a commercial campground every three or four days to dump.
Enjoy your trip.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A quick calculation shows that driving alone will take up 10-14 days of your vacation (roundtrip), depending on your average speed and the number of hours you plan to drive each day.

We drove much of that route last summer, and you'll be passing through or near many very interesting places. You may wish to seriously consider shortening your route and spending more time at attractions and seeing the sights along the way.

Note: If you add Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon National Parks to your itinerary, expect to spend 14-18 days behind the wheel.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2020 30' Classic
Jackson , New Jersey
Thanks for the tips. I actually did do a quick map quest of the main areas (leaving out Glacier & the Grand Canyon) after posting. It is formidable! I guess the bulk of our trip should be Yellowstone and some areas of Utah.

We have such a gorgeous country, and I haven't seen anything west of PA! I'm over-eager!

So if we keep it to WY & UT for the most part, any other suggestions of great places to see, hike or stay?

I do think South Dakota will be a good stop on the way out. Maybe head a little more of a southern route on the way back.

We will definitely pack those jerry cans for water!

I think I'll love seeing a bison in my path! If it takes too long, I may rethink that!
cprpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Over the years I've been to most places mentioned above. Every one is worth while but some stay with you forever in particular the Little Big Horn. This piece of history in a must see. The battle field Custer & his 200 + soldiers died on has for the most part been left untouched except for a cemetery & amphitheater where park rangers explain how the battle evolved.
BTW, we're doing that trip again this summer & like last time no reservations, but also no time restraints. Have a great time.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprpe View Post
Thanks for the tips. I actually did do a quick map quest of the main areas (leaving out Glacier & the Grand Canyon) after posting. It is formidable! I guess the bulk of our trip should be Yellowstone and some areas of Utah.

We have such a gorgeous country, and I haven't seen anything west of PA! I'm over-eager!

So if we keep it to WY & UT for the most part, any other suggestions of great places to see, hike or stay?

I do think South Dakota will be a good stop on the way out. Maybe head a little more of a southern route on the way back.

We will definitely pack those jerry cans for water!

I think I'll love seeing a bison in my path! If it takes too long, I may rethink that!
My top two hikes are:

Angel's Landing. (Zion) http://www.neilpeart.net/news/novemb...ding_Trail.jpg

Paintbrush Canyon, or Cascade Canyon, or loop the two canyons together if you're really up to a hike, (Grand Teton)

Neither of these two are for the faint of heart, but the views are stunning.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
its a long way out this way. i would suggest cutting down on the visit sites and making it a priority to see something in depth. that could be Yellowstone or any of the other NPs that you mentioned. this is vast territory and a couple of hours here or there will not do any of them justice as you reflect on your trip. camping inside the parks, well, not such a hot idea as almost all of the sites do not include water, sewer or power. i would be looking outside whatever park(s) you decide on for other private accommodations. also makes it way easier to travel inside the parks as well.

zion allow zero vehicles inside the park unless you are staying at the park hotel but the shuttle bus service is excellent and a wonderful idea to boot.

entering Yellowstone, turn left, everyone else will be turning right. the back loop which includes the falls is a worthy and not too busy sight worth seeing. obviously the most popular places will be packed, and i mean packed, with people in August. old faithful will be hard to appreciate because of all of the people packed into the viewing area.

but, this is your trip and you do have visions of what it 'should' be like so go take a look before it is too late to appreciate these wonders.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
In South Dakota, apart from the Badlands suggest trying to take in Custer State Park and the Needles Highway.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Trip Out West

We did a trip out west last July through early August to see Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, and the Tetons. We were gone 5 1/2 weeks. We are in North Carolina and went out via Tenn., Kentucky, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, South Dakota, etc. and returned a more southerly route through Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, etc. We were gone 5 1/2 weeks. I think your itinerary is a bit ambitious.

You asked about campgrounds. Here are some that we would go back to and recommend:
Country Roads Motorhome and RV Park - Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton (take the boat ride down the Dells, most everything else is too touristy)
American Creek Campground - Chamberlain, S.D. (right on the Missouri River)
Indian Campground - Buffalo, Wyoming (convenient to HWY 16 which most consider the easiest, safest passage over the Big Horn Mountains when pulling a trailer)
Buffalo Bill State Park - Cody, Wyoming (just a few miles from the east entrance to Yellowstone)
Homesteader Park - Powell, Wyoming (free and good for an overnight)
Tie Flume Campground - Big Horn Mountains National Forest
Cabela'`s RV Park and Campground - Sidney, Nebraska
Camp-A-Way Campground - Lincoln, Nebraska (be sure to visit the state capital building - it is one of the prettiest in the U.S.)

These were some of our favorites.
Enjoy your trip.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1936 20' Clipper
Reno , Nevada
Within last year have been to most of the places you mentioned. in The Dakotas, outside of Sturgis (nothing there except vintage motorcycle museum and huge bars) is Deadwood.
Very cool little town.
Rushmore..........great., but good for about one hour of foto taking.
Glacier......fabulous
Yellowstone......classic
Grand Canyon. ..... for sure, go to the North Rim if you can. Much better than So Rim
viper333@att.net
Old 01-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Have to agree with all who have said that is too many places in too little time. I would recommend a focus on Yellowstone (our favorite) and Grand Teton. Both have campgrounds with or without hookups.

Reservations may be essential in August, so get on it now. A bit surprisingly maybe, the visitation drops off after mid-August so if possible shoot for that.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
All of those places you mentioned are wonderful but very crowded at the time you are going. Be sure and make reservations where you can much earlier than your trip.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Levelland , Texas
We live in Texas We left here and went to Mount Rushmore,the Badlands then on to Glacier National park.We did a day trip to Waterton National Park in Alberta Canada.
from there we headed to Yellowstone for three days. We left there and went to the Grand Tetons (most beautiful place we went). From there we went to Brice Canyon and Zion National Park.We were gone for 23 days and drove 5500 miles.We had a wonderful time wished it had been longer. We went to Grand Canyon North and South Rims two years ago. Have Fun
Troy Tyson
Levelland Tx
27 ft. 2014 International Signature Onyx towed with a 2003 Ford F150. averaged 10.5 on the trip
Troy Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Also agree that right now is not too soon to get reservations. I have had our reservations for Yellowstone campground (in the park) for several months now.

The national park service has a lot of good info.

Also do remember if you have not had much time driving in the mountains, that the speed limit is much lower due to all of the turns and hills, and that you may encounter stoppages due to single lane roads where traffic, Literally, stops to look at wildlife.

Maximum speed (i.e. top speed) is 45 MPH, so this can make you average speed about half as high as highway speed.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Too much in too short of time, and during the hottest time of the year also the busiest, with heavy traffic, we do our traveling during early spring and during the fall, it is cooler and very little traffic and every one is in school and working therefore no problem finding camp sites,which in July and August is a big problem.....do it after Labor Day ..especially in Yellowstone,.ask me how I know..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I like the west.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I like the west.

Me too.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote