Old 11-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
KIRKSVILLE , Missouri
Planning A Trip Down Rt. 66 Any Suggestions?

We Are Planning A Trip Down Route 66 From Springfield, Mo To Ca. How Far Is Bryce Canyon From The Route? We Also Want To Go On To Califonia To Santa Barbara And Simi Valley And Then Up To Lake Tahoe And Back To Northern Mo. We Have A 25 Foot Safari And Pulling It With A F350 Super Duty Ford Pickup Truck. How Are The Roads Are They Too Treacherous To Pull This Camper? We Will Not Be Going Until Summer.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I can only tell you about my part of old 66. I live in Chandler, Oklahoma, and can see the road from my back swing. I travel it every day and I know it is good from Tulsa to Oklahoma City. You must stop at POP'S in Arcadia, and also visit the historic Round Barn up the road from there. It's a nice drive and if you follow 66 or I-40 out to Clinton in western Oklahoma, there is a 66 Museum there. Actually I forgot, we have a great new Museum here opened this year with lots of Route 66 information. Call me and come spend a little time at the house.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMILLER
We Are Planning A Trip Down Route 66 From Springfield, Mo To Ca. How Far Is Bryce Canyon From The Route? We Also Want To Go On To Califonia To Santa Barbara And Simi Valley And Then Up To Lake Tahoe And Back To Northern Mo. We Have A 25 Foot Safari And Pulling It With A F350 Super Duty Ford Pickup Truck. How Are The Roads Are They Too Treacherous To Pull This Camper? We Will Not Be Going Until Summer.
I40 from Ft. Smith, AR - Okla City to Albuquerque is good to excellent, just a few short road construction areas. I drove that section several times last year.
Farther west I personally don't know. Several of the CA members were in Albuq for the Balloon Fiesta, they can tell you about that strech.

You should NOT have any problems with your TV and trailer.

Don
Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Rt 66 / Bryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMILLER
Sounds like a heck of a trip. From Flagstaff, AZ via hwy 89, Bryce is about a 4 hour drive. Around Bryce, you also have Capital Reef and Zion, with the Canyonlands not too far away either. If your not careful, your summer could be spent in UT . There is a lot to see and do, not to mention the splendid scenery!
Happy planning,
Larry
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Hello,

If you have time, the trip from Santa Barbara to Tahoe would be great going up Hwy 1 to Monterey, then cutting over to Sacramento and Interstate 80 to Tahoe... There are other routes... Hwy 1 is very curvy and slow, but a great trip! You could also go up Hwy 101 north in California and hit some of the good sights. Unless you are in a hurry to drive north, avoid Interstate 5 and Hwy 99 through the central valley of California. Horribly hot in the summer (110) an a dreadful drive. Lots of traffic on both routes. Once you get to mid California you can go Hwy 50 to Tahoe or I-80. You can also go back across the bottom of the state and go up Hwy 395. Very nice road and drive. Not quite so hectic as the rest of the state, but you miss the seashore stuff... post more of what you are interested in, and the amount of time you will have to take and lots of folks will give their ideas too!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
66 a great trip

We just did 66 in September and had a great trip,its the third time we have traveled it, twice in the Airstream. Lots to see and do. Much of the original road is still in great shape in Oklahoma, the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City and the Route 66 museums in Clinton and Elk City were well worth seeing. Arizona also has a lot of the original road and maintains it very well, they have even put back the Burma Shave signs on part of it. Williams, Az is a great 66 town. If you go there try to visit Rod's Steak house or Smokey's pancake house both 66 icons. The Hackberry general store and Sno Cap drive in in Seligman are great stops. For a real driving challenge ( if you like 10mph mountain switchbacks and narrow road) the Kingman to Oatman streach is not to be missed. Route 66 is an addiction.