Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Planning a summer trip

I am thinking about a nice 2 week road trip out west this summer. We would be leaving Kentucky and heading out west. We will be taking I-70 it looks like from St Louis to the Rocky Mountain State park. Does anyone have any recomendations of nice campgrounds along the way? I know that this may sound early to some, but I am a PRE Planner.

Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
As long as we are around we can courtesy park you just west of St. Louis if you need to stop for the evening.

Steve

Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our plan for traveling I-70 is to go as far as we can and stop where we can find a decent CG. Differs from time to time.

So far as RMNP, like all the major NP's, it's really really busy in the summer. It's beautiful, Estes Park is cool, but the shoulder seasons are the best time to see the park. Trail Ridge Rd. usually opens for Memorial Day weekend, but may not, or close a few days later because snow and more snow is possible any time of year. September can be wonderful—less traffic, cooler days and cold nights, aspen changing.

There's a lot to see in Colorado—just driving around the mountains is quite a trip. There are a lot of threads about Colorado vacation—try searching. Once you're in the mountains, you may have trouble acclimating to altitude—sleepy, headaches are what some people get. Take it slow for a couple of days. Then go hiking into the wilderness and experience the spirituality of the mountains.

As a preplanner, start reading travel books on Colorado soon and you'll get lots of guidance on what to see. We like Frommer's, but there are others.

Gene
Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
In Columbia, Mo., I've stayed here. It's all pull through sites. It is well maintained and clean. I didn't use any of their facilities, however.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There's a lot to see in Colorado—just driving around the mountains is quite a trip. There are a lot of threads about Colorado vacation—try searching.
Gene
As much as it kills me to say so in public, Gene is right.
Colorado is an EXCELLENT destination, but hit the park in the shoulder season. I highly recommend southern and middle CO in June, you will have the cool stuff to yourself and the yahoos from TX (no, I am not saying all Texans are yahoos) wont be there yet. Gene is also an wonderful source of info about what there is to do in the area. Here is the thread from my trip in 08, I am sure I will be back up to CO this summer.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Thanks Steve for the courtesy parking....will keep you in mind

And thanks to the others for the info about parks and timing....I have already requested each of the states maps and requested state park info also. Will try to have as much info down before this trip as I can.
TAC# KY-3
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Planning a summer trip

Another route that you might like to consider is US 36 - - - I have taken this route on each of my last three trips to Rocky Mountain National Park and find it to be so much more relaxing than fighting all of the truck traffic on I-70. Quite honestly, my travel time isn't any greater on this route than on I-70. Generally, I pickup US 36 just South of Champaign, IL and continue on through to Estes Park. This route provides an alternate perspective on the territory.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Thanks Kevin for that Info I will look at that route also....that is the kind of things I am looking for not really needing the interstate route....we will kind of just drive and stop as needed until we get there....trying to take it nice and easy
TAC# KY-3
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I highly recommend southern and middle CO in June, you will have the cool stuff to yourself and the yahoos from TX (no, I am not saying all Texans are yahoos) wont be there yet.
Hey Rodney, Are those the same kind of yahoos that come down here to Texas from up North every Winter?

Seems everyone has their share of yahoos these days.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mouth', there are several 2 lane blacktop routes cross country—US 34 and 36 are two of them. Back in the '70's, since all the cops trying to enforce the 55 speed limit were on the interstates, those 2 laners were the fastest way to go. Not so anymore. But if you don't want to drive very fast, either way may come out about the same. There are a lot of miles to travel across the midwest (the Great American Desert in 19th century terminology) and that's why we use I-70.

As for yahoos, one man's yahoo is another man's best friend. If you think that's profound, you are a yahoo.

Gene
Old 01-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
If you can extend your trip I would highly recommend south central and southwestern Colorado. 30 mile campground between Lake City and Creede is one of our favorites. 30 Mile is on the Rio Grande and has excellent fishing. North of Durango there are several state campgrounds that are close to many activities including the narrow guage railroad from Durango to Silverton. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Gunnison are also terrific. Great fishing and camping on Taylor, East and Gunnison rivers. Hope you have a lot of time to visit this magnificent state!

A Proud Texas Yahoo who makes frequent trips to Colorado!!!!! Hope to see you there!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
I really enjoyed our stay at Lake Jacomo just outside of Kansas City, MO. Beautiful county campground with full hookups, nice facilities, and nice water views.

In Colorado, we stayed in Loveland at Boyd Lake State Park. It only had electric hookups, but the park itself was nice. Had some wonderful bike baths, a beach, and boat launch. My only complaint: pay showers.

Have fun planning the trip!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post

In Colorado, we stayed in Loveland at Boyd Lake State Park. It only had electric hookups, but the park itself was nice. Had some wonderful bike baths, a beach, and boat launch. My only complaint: pay showers.
Colorado SP's are often located in nice areas and are well kept, but fees keep increasing and they will nickel and dime you. Fee to get in, fee to camp, fee to shower…

Hi Lani, remember meeting you at JC.

Gene
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post

Have fun planning the trip!
Oops! That's bike PATHS. Baths for bike would be a little odd....sorry...my fingers are a little frozen. You might know I'd be in South Florida when it's the coldest it has been in years!

Hi Gene! Yep, the state park in Colorado was nice but the fees were a bit much. We still enjoyed our stay, though. And, our location was perfect.