Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Had to laugh when I saw this! No experience of this kind here at the park (primarily because we "encourage" them to go elsewhere), but folks in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico see this kind of thing all the time. Wish they'd just stay home!

Lynn
They're not just in southern Colorado. And some of them are homegrown. Yahoos are everywhere, though some states (and provinces too—would they be hosers?) seem to have a greater proportion of the population than others, such as up to 95%.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Like the others....

If I had two weeks to spend out West in early summer....I too would spend it in Colorado....RMNP is one of our favorites.

Hire Gene as your tour guide.

ps.. it can be fun to yahoo!

Stream Safe....have fun.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
No, the yahoos in question tend to be belligerent drunk, atv swarming PITAs. A different form of yahoos altogether.
Rodney, That type of behavior isn't appreciated anywhere when camping, even in Texas.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Rodney, That type of behavior isn't appreciated anywhere when camping, even in Texas.
Steve, you wont get any argument from me on that. For the record, I have no beef with Texans as a group (see original comment). In fact, I enjoy traveling in TX and have many friends from there. Having said that, southern Colorado does get a concentration of this type of individual from Texas in July and August.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maybe the Texas yahoos are chased out of Texas by more sensible Texans and given a bus ticket to other states along with having their ATV's and trail bikes shipped.

But we digress.

Mouth', southern Colorado has many nice places and it's best to ignore the yahoos, not always easy to do. The first time I came to Colorado 34 years ago I spent about 10 days. We backpacked to Conundrum Hot Springs (11,000') near Aspen and then up to Triangle Pass (13,000'). Going into the wilderness with backpack and tent is the best way to really appreciate what Colorado used to be like. However, there are a lot more people living here now and a lot more visitors, so it's harder to be in the backcountry alone. Now Conundrum has forest rangers stationed there and lots of rules and people. But there will be even more people next year and in 10 years, so better to go now. I'm glad I got to be there before it was so well known and before my knees and back went bad. The view from the hot springs was wonderful and the wildflowers in the cirque above the springs amazing—for wildflowers you have to be there around July 4.

I didn't go to RMNP until I lived here about a dozen years. It's a pretty spectacular place, but as has been posted, very, very busy. On the west side of Trail Ridge Rd. is Grand Lake, a funky town and then you are in the central mountains and across the Continental Divide. What do you like to do—hike, backpack, sit in a lawn chair, sightsee through the windshield, see yahoos, go to museums, eat at fine restaurants, etc.?

Tour Guide rates start at $2,000/day plus all expenses (this is to make sure no one ever hires me).

Gene
Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Stops off of I 70 in Kansas

There is a very nice Federal Park (Tuttle Cove Park) at Tuttle Creek Lake near Manhattan, Kansas. This park is around 5 years old I believe. It is right on the lake and usually has open spots to choose from, below the dam is a State Park also. Manhattan area has some very nice sites, Konza Prairie, KSU has a very nice art museum.

36 Highway through Kansas does have some city parks west of 81 highway. There is Keith Seibilus state lake with a nice campground. If a person finds the town out in western kansas on highway 36 you can find the city parks, etc. Once a person gets to St. Francis, Kansas the road splits and goes north or almost straight west. If you go west, make sure you keep your gas tank filled. The northern route will take you towards Greeley, Co., check the maps, etc.

A very nice Federal Park in Colorado up Poudre Canyon west of Fort Collins, it is about half way up the canyon on the left across the river, very clean with electrical hook-up. The canyon is a gently incline which makes towing easy. Make your reservations early at all Colorado Parks.

I know some people would rather skip the Kansas crossing, but like most states they have their own beauty. As has been said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a rally at Moraine View Campground at RMNP in June and another thread about the rally on the forums now.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
There is a rally at Moraine View Campground at RMNP in June and another thread about the rally on the forums now.
Are you sure that's not Moraine View State Park in Illinois?
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Are you sure that's not Moraine View State Park in Illinois?
Regards,
Ken
Actually, no. I didn't think there would be more than one. But rally or not I still recommend Morraine View in RMNP.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pocono Mountains , Pennsylvania
Once you figure out what cities / towns you will want to stay near, check out this site RV Park Reviews :: Home which contains reviews of thousands of campgrounds written by average RVers who have stayed there. I have found this to be extremely useful and have contributed a few reviews myself in order to share the wealth.

As with most collaborative internet experiences, it's opinions, but overall, I have found the reviews to be quite representative of what I actually experienced at the campgrounds I had visited.
scotttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Thanks everyone for all the great info....we do plan a stop off in Kansas...and will check out the parks recommended....

Gene we are into some hiking...riding around and seeing the views...always looking for a good place to eat too....love finding local places to eat off the beaten path!
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Planning a summer trip

Greetings Gene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
You mean something has changed since the late '70's? How dare they!

I'll have to look into that next time we go east.

Gene
I, too, was surprised the first time that I encoundered the newly improved US 36. I was caught in a traffic jam on I-70 near Kansas City, and detoured North to US 36 -- the transformation was just getting well underway (this was 1985 or 1986). Today, it is a pleasant journey from Central Illinois all of the way to Estes Park, CO.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We also have found the RV Park Review site to be useful. I also use Trip Advisor for restaurant reviews as well as the AAA Tour Books.

Although I've never done this in RMNP, there is a lot of wilderness for hiking there. And if you're interesting in hiking to the top of a 14teener, Long's Peak is very popular. South from Estes Park is the Peak to Peak Hwy (I think Colo 7 and then 119, but you'd better check that). It goes through Rollinsville, Nederland and Black Hawk. Black Hawk is an old mining town that has been taken over by gambling. Up the gulch west is Central City, not quite as screwed up by gambling development, and if you explore the backroads around there, you'll see a lot of abandoned mines from Colorado's first gold rush.

West of Rollinsville you can drive to the Moffat Tunnel, a railroad tunnel under the Divide. There's a road to Rollins Pass over the Divide, but it was closed years ago and I don't know if it's been opened again. Still the drive part way is still through amazing scenery. Do not take a trailer on these back roads.

East of Nederland, down the canyon, is Boulder. Some good restaurants there, though it's been a long time since we explored the area. We did go to a pre-wedding dinner at the Bolderado Hotel and the food was pretty good about 1 1/2 years ago. Parking in central Boulder is difficult and another place not to take a trailer.

Just some places that pop into my mind before breakfast.

Gene
Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'm not sure if you want to move around for the time you're in Colorado, or if you want to stay the entire time in RMNP but you could do a really nice loop of the state in 2 weeks. When exactly do you plan on going? I asked because a lot camping options may not be open to you in early June that probably would be in July. On the other hand, as Gene mentioned RMNP will be very crowded in July vs. early June. School starts here in late August, so the few weeks following that are a great time to see everything while the temperatures are a littler higher, and the crowds a little lower.

Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Well we are traveling in early June because our schools go back into session usually in early August so as soon as my kids are out of school and I finish taking finals we will be heading out on the road. We are thinking of maybe even doing about 2 1/2 weeks and staying a couple days in RMNP then heading up to Yellowstone, going to Mt Rushmore then circle our way back home. So we figure we would be on the road between 2 to 3 weeks. This will be a once in a lifetime trip for us so we will try to make the most of what we will be able to do.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #36
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A few years back I took the Rt. 36 route from E. Kansas all the way through to RMNP. No trailer but wouldn't hesitate to take mine that route. Good road, light traffic and much nicer scenery than Rt. 70. If you go that route plan a short stop right outside the town ( crossroad really) of Lebanon, Ks. Just outside the town, follow the signs, is a small park with a monument making the geographic center of the continental US. Gives you rights to useless trivia. But we travelers need excuses to make roadside stops anyway.

Take it, enjoy, you won't be sorry.

Roger in NJ
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Well we are traveling in early June because our schools go back into session usually in early August so as soon as my kids are out of school and I finish taking finals we will be heading out on the road. We are thinking of maybe even doing about 2 1/2 weeks and staying a couple days in RMNP then heading up to Yellowstone, going to Mt Rushmore then circle our way back home. So we figure we would be on the road between 2 to 3 weeks. This will be a once in a lifetime trip for us so we will try to make the most of what we will be able to do.
You will LOVE that trip....exactly what we did several years ago!!!

Stream Safe.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Geographic Center of US

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
A few years back I took the Rt. 36 route from E. Kansas all the way through to RMNP. No trailer but wouldn't hesitate to take mine that route. Good road, light traffic and much nicer scenery than Rt. 70. If you go that route plan a short stop right outside the town ( crossroad really) of Lebanon, Ks. Just outside the town, follow the signs, is a small park with a monument making the geographic center of the continental US. Gives you rights to useless trivia. But we travelers need excuses to make roadside stops anyway.

Take it, enjoy, you won't be sorry.

Roger in NJ
The following are a few photos that I took while caravanning to RMNP with Scott and Lise Scheuermann a few years ago. They are of the small park with the monument marking the Geographic Center of the US:

Kevin

Just to show how quickly time flies, these photos date to 2005, yet it seems like the journey took place yesterday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Geographic_Center_US_2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	94284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Geographic_Center_US_3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	94285  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Geographic_Center_US_4.jpg