Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
I am thinking about a nice 2 week road trip out west this summer. We would be leaving Kentucky and heading out west. We will be taking I-70 it looks like from St Louis to the Rocky Mountain State park. Does anyone have any recomendations of nice campgrounds along the way? I know that this may sound early to some, but I am a PRE Planner.
We are considering a similar trip to RMNP and will be interested to watch this thread; we recognize the challenges from the summer crowds (school vacation reduces options).

This past October we visited the southern part of CO, like Great Sand Dunes NP and into the four corners - absolutely spectacular, as others on this thread have pointed out.

On our last trip, and I suspect whatever we do this summer, we will avoid the interstates in favor of a slightly less traveled route.

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Planning a summer trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Mouth', there are several 2 lane blacktop routes cross country—US 34 and 36 are two of them. Back in the '70's, since all the cops trying to enforce the 55 speed limit were on the interstates, those 2 laners were the fastest way to go. Not so anymore. But if you don't want to drive very fast, either way may come out about the same. There are a lot of miles to travel across the midwest (the Great American Desert in 19th century terminology) and that's why we use I-70.

As for yahoos, one man's yahoo is another man's best friend. If you think that's profound, you are a yahoo.

Gene
US 36 isn't strictly 2-lane any longer. For much of its distance, it is a Super-2 or four-lane with Interstate speed limits. It is a much less stressful travel experience than I-70 from St. Louis to the Colorado state line -- and I doubt that the average speed of travel would be that much different. The campgrounds are also much less crowded -- and many of the small towns along the road (particularly in Kansas) have RV parking spots in their City Parks for a very nominal charge.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
US 36 isn't strictly 2-lane any longer. For much of its distance, it is a Super-2 or four-lane with Interstate speed limits.

Kevin
You mean something has changed since the late '70's? How dare they!

I'll have to look into that next time we go east.

Gene
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Hey Rodney, Are those the same kind of yahoos that come down here to Texas from up North every Winter?

Seems everyone has their share of yahoos these days.
No, the yahoos in question tend to be belligerent drunk, atv swarming PITAs. A different form of yahoos altogether.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
No, the yahoos in question tend to be belligerent drunk, atv swarming PITAs. A different form of yahoos altogether.
Had to laugh when I saw this! No experience of this kind here at the park (primarily because we "encourage" them to go elsewhere), but folks in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico see this kind of thing all the time. Wish they'd just stay home!

Lynn
Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'll watch this thread as well. My wife's family is having a reunion in July near Denver. Not sure if we will make it, but that would be the destination and seeing other sites along the way to and fro would be nice.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Had to laugh when I saw this! No experience of this kind here at the park (primarily because we "encourage" them to go elsewhere), but folks in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico see this kind of thing all the time. Wish they'd just stay home!

Lynn
They're not just in southern Colorado. And some of them are homegrown. Yahoos are everywhere, though some states (and provinces too—would they be hosers?) seem to have a greater proportion of the population than others, such as up to 95%.

Gene
Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Like the others....

If I had two weeks to spend out West in early summer....I too would spend it in Colorado....RMNP is one of our favorites.

Hire Gene as your tour guide.

ps.. it can be fun to yahoo!

Stream Safe....have fun.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Rodney, That type of behavior isn't appreciated anywhere when camping, even in Texas.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Rodney, That type of behavior isn't appreciated anywhere when camping, even in Texas.
Steve, you wont get any argument from me on that. For the record, I have no beef with Texans as a group (see original comment). In fact, I enjoy traveling in TX and have many friends from there. Having said that, southern Colorado does get a concentration of this type of individual from Texas in July and August.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maybe the Texas yahoos are chased out of Texas by more sensible Texans and given a bus ticket to other states along with having their ATV's and trail bikes shipped.

But we digress.

Mouth', southern Colorado has many nice places and it's best to ignore the yahoos, not always easy to do. The first time I came to Colorado 34 years ago I spent about 10 days. We backpacked to Conundrum Hot Springs (11,000') near Aspen and then up to Triangle Pass (13,000'). Going into the wilderness with backpack and tent is the best way to really appreciate what Colorado used to be like. However, there are a lot more people living here now and a lot more visitors, so it's harder to be in the backcountry alone. Now Conundrum has forest rangers stationed there and lots of rules and people. But there will be even more people next year and in 10 years, so better to go now. I'm glad I got to be there before it was so well known and before my knees and back went bad. The view from the hot springs was wonderful and the wildflowers in the cirque above the springs amazing—for wildflowers you have to be there around July 4.

I didn't go to RMNP until I lived here about a dozen years. It's a pretty spectacular place, but as has been posted, very, very busy. On the west side of Trail Ridge Rd. is Grand Lake, a funky town and then you are in the central mountains and across the Continental Divide. What do you like to do—hike, backpack, sit in a lawn chair, sightsee through the windshield, see yahoos, go to museums, eat at fine restaurants, etc.?

Tour Guide rates start at $2,000/day plus all expenses (this is to make sure no one ever hires me).

Gene
Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
Stops off of I 70 in Kansas

There is a very nice Federal Park (Tuttle Cove Park) at Tuttle Creek Lake near Manhattan, Kansas. This park is around 5 years old I believe. It is right on the lake and usually has open spots to choose from, below the dam is a State Park also. Manhattan area has some very nice sites, Konza Prairie, KSU has a very nice art museum.

36 Highway through Kansas does have some city parks west of 81 highway. There is Keith Seibilus state lake with a nice campground. If a person finds the town out in western kansas on highway 36 you can find the city parks, etc. Once a person gets to St. Francis, Kansas the road splits and goes north or almost straight west. If you go west, make sure you keep your gas tank filled. The northern route will take you towards Greeley, Co., check the maps, etc.

A very nice Federal Park in Colorado up Poudre Canyon west of Fort Collins, it is about half way up the canyon on the left across the river, very clean with electrical hook-up. The canyon is a gently incline which makes towing easy. Make your reservations early at all Colorado Parks.

I know some people would rather skip the Kansas crossing, but like most states they have their own beauty. As has been said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a rally at Moraine View Campground at RMNP in June and another thread about the rally on the forums now.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
There is a rally at Moraine View Campground at RMNP in June and another thread about the rally on the forums now.
Are you sure that's not Moraine View State Park in Illinois?
Regards,
Ken