Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Planning a route 66 trip, any ideas?

We've always wanted to check out old route 66 so we're planning a trip starting June 4th. We'll be heading to Tucumcari on the 4th., going down to Roswell, then picking 66 back up at Albuquerque and going across to Sedona where we plan to spend 3 nights, then back through the San Juans where we want to spend a night or two boon docking near Telluride before going home. We're leaving a lot of flexibility for the trip to stop and check things out as we go. We usually dry camp or boon dock, but I'd like to find at least 1 rv park with a pool for the kids along the way, something campy with a theme would be great. Any ideas on the rv park, or things not to miss along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Route 66 across Northern Arizona is spotty at best. There are a few small sections that are drivable, but much of it has been abandoned or replaced by I-40. Here is a good site for more information about "The Mother Road": The Mother Road: Historic Route 66
Sedona is going to be warm in June, plan on temperatures in the 90's, but it's a dry heat.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Come East to Oklahoma. I can see Rt.66 from my window. There are many Rt.66 museums, one right here in Chandler, Oklahoma, and one out West in Clinton, Oklahoma. You can even see the old round barn and an old abandoned service station made of sandstone sitting off the side of the road. 66 is still alive and well in Oklahoma.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, I'm thinking that just about the only rv park along your route that would have a swimming pool is American RV Park out on the west mesa near Albuquerque. (But "campy with a theme" might be too much to ask for American, too.) Before and especially beyond there, you're in for some pretty long stretches with pretty narrow choices.

But if you can do without the pool, there are some really neat places, especially as you leave the interstate!

Lynn
Old 01-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Do you know about the Dead Horse rally in mid-Feb? Very nice state park, but no pool and right next to Sedona.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'm afraid that time restrictions with work limit us from taking in any more of the road. We haven't been to Sedona for about 10 years and thought that would be a great stopping place. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal if I couldn't find the right rv park, we planned on boon docking a lot anyway so I bought the government lands map books for New Mexico and Arizona. Any suggestions for boon docking sites would also be great. I'm not too concerned about the temperatures. Although I've never camped near Sedona the temperature range for June shows a high of 90 and low of 57 which is almost identical to Moab for that time, and I've stayed there in early June several times with no hookups. Hiking gets a little warm but the temps at night are fine for sleeping. I've bought the book by Tom Snyder and checked out several websites. We planned on staying on the old road as much as possible through New Mexico. The map books show what you confirm AzFly with very little of the old road to choose from in Az.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

You do have quite a lot to choose from in AZ.

Route 66 Association of Arizona

Did the entire journey back in "99", the AZ segment was the best of the original sections. The DW called the the trip the Horizontal Disney World.

The Bagdad Cafe outside Barstow is kinda kool...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N ON RT.66 3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	74565   Click image for larger version

Name:	BAGDAD CAFE RT 66.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	74566  

Name:	AIRSTREAM AT THE BAGDAD CAFE RT.66.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	74567  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Escondido , California
I found this sometime back. I don't think they are running this tour any longer. The tour schedule and itinerary may help.
Route 66
SamH
AIR #13642
04 Safari 25SS, 03 Toyota Tundra
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Charlie, just to tempt you, there are good sections of 66 from the middle of Arizona to Cal. You can pick it up near Seligman and take it west eventually getting to Oatman, a really strange place. Bob's picture in the upper right hand corner above is in Seligman showing the Snow Cap. It's owned by Juan Delgadillo who I understand is really nuts. Across the street to the west is the barber shop and gift shop run by Angel Delgadillo, Juan's brother. Angel is a genuinely nice guy who helped preserve the Rt. 66 atmosphere in that area and some people call the mayor of Route 66. We enjoyed meeting him several years ago. Some of the road east of Oatman seems to be very much the original route. There's a Rt. 66 museum in Kingman. Once in Cal., the Rt. 66 goes through the Mojave area, south of the Mojave National Preserve, including the Bagdad Cafe. No WMD's there. We camped at the Preserve in Nov., '07, at a nice campground with great views. Might be warmer there in June.

Of course, if you're going to Sedona, you won't see any of this. So, change your plans. Everybody goes to Sedona.

Gene
Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Seligman

The Snow Cap is most definitely a worthy stop !
Great authentic mexican snacks and a fun time.

Sadly, Juan passed on a few years back, but his son is "carrry-ing on" in his name and I mean that in the most literal sense !

Welcome to Juan Delgadillo gone

Be sure to seek out Angel and his daughter next door for a real history lesson of the area and his thoughts on Rt 66.

Route 66, route 66 gifts - Angel's Barbershop in Seligman, Arizona

Last time we were there, I persuaded Angel gave me a straight edge shave at his barber shop, my first and likely one shave that I'll never forget !

PS.......... Sedona ain't what it used to be..

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
PS.......... Sedona ain't what it used to be..
Sedona is the most unfriendly town to trailers I have ever been in. Can't park, can't turn around. Really, really sucks.

But there is a very nice RV park just before you cross the creek bridge into town from the south. Park there and leave the Airstream. Or you can boondoock west of town.

Zep

Name:	sedona boondocking.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	74609

Name:	sedona rv park.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	74610
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Sedona really is tight. Even that RV park that Zep talked about seemed to us a bit tight for good maneuverability.

Just down the highway is Cottonwood and Dead Horse Ranch State Park, which is nice! Seems like there were also several RV parks in/around Cottonwood, but we didn't drive into any of them.

Lynn
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Sedona really is tight. Even that RV park that Zep talked about seemed to us a bit tight for good maneuverability.

I had the Caravel, so it was a piece of cake compared to longer Airstreams...

CLAYBAGS was right across from us in a very new, seemed like 27', rear door model and they didn't seem to have any problem, but we were in the area right behind the office.

Zep
Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I had the Caravel, so it was a piece of cake compared to longer Airstreams...

CLAYBAGS was right across from us in a very new, seemed like 27', rear door model and they didn't seem to have any problem, but we were in the area right behind the office.

Zep
I think you're probably right. We have a 30', so size matters, so to speak. (That's the reason why, if we had it all to do again, we'd have a shorter rig -- or at least a second rig!)

Lynn