Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Yes, going behind a big rig does improve your mileage, although I don't have hard data. I am just using laws of physics and understanding of fluid dynamics of how drag shared is drag reduced. Let me know if I sound convincing as if I know what I am talking about
It's theoretically true, but impractical. In fact, it's one reason why your Airstream's trailer tongue is so short, so the trailer is tucked up close behind the tow vehicle to reduce drag.

Slipstreaming a semi only works if you follow dangerously close, so that you're far enough inside his slipstream. If you can see anything else but semitrailer through your windshield, you're not close enough to benefit.

You can actually experience reduced mileage by following behind a semi, if you're just far enough away for his slipstream to close itself up right before it hits you. In my Airstream Interstate, which is especially boxy in shape, if I'm at this distance I can feel buffeting that makes me have to work harder to steer. When this happens— usually right after one passes me and cuts back in too close in front of me— I drop back until the buffeting disappears.

Best to maintain your normal safe following distance and not try to slipstream a semi. The rear-end collision you avoid will save you much more money than the few pennies you'd save on fuel.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Not to mention the rocks those big tires can throw.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #23
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
All depends on how you are
2trackrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hi! We make that drive a lot. Of course, your speed limit will be 55 towing, and Google estimated it at the posted limit, which is 65-70, so you can do that calc based on what you're comfortable driving.

But we usually just use the old Autoclub standard of 50 mph average, including all stops. This has been pretty accurate for us, but might be a wee bit high in CA with the 55 limit (we cruise 59-63.) so look at Googles projected mileage and divide by 45-50 for a pretty good guesstimate of actual travel time.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Generally we tow between 60 and 75mph with most of our speed between 63 and 72mpg. When I can, I set the speed control at either 65 or 70 and just steer. I divide the google milage by 60, then add 45 minutes for three potty/stretch your legs breaks, an hour for lunch and a short nap and 15 minutes fueling with diesel at a truck stop island.

So in short, I divide the milage by 60 and add two hours for non driving to figure the day.

But above all, when momma says we're done, we're done. She's the navigator and has the campground guides. I'm the driver and Sasha the cat is just along for the ride.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Like a number of others here, I use 50 MPH average for any trip. That includes stops for potty and lunch. Does not seem to matter where we go that is about right. The one trip that was much slower was the coast road down to Charleston...never again.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
We moved from Tucson to Eugene/Springfield, OR. All of the auto routing programs route you I-10 thru LA. then up thru I-5 to Eugene/Springfield. The most direct not considering the traffic. I avoid LA at all costs!! I have made this trip easily a dozen times as we still have family in Tucson. The Eugene/Springfield, OR route we use is; I-10 to SR-74 (N of Phoenix) towards Wickenburg, then US 93 to I-40 (near Kingman), then I-40 to Barstow, CA, then SR 58 to Bakersfield, CA, then over to Lost Hills via 99 N to 46 W (towards Wasco, CA), then I-5 to Eugene/Springfield, OR. Far less traffic an more pleasant drive. The difference in mileage is negligible. I will be taking this route again this summer, wave as we pass going in opposite directions. I have done the I-10 thru LA, ONCE, never again!!!!!!!
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Two weeks ago we drove from Maryland to Colorado. With pit stops for gas, numerous stops for bathroom breaks, lunch we averaged 45 mph when trying to maintain 65 mph while actually driving.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Live in Sacramento. Have a granddaughter in LA. Take I-5 to I-10 to the best RV Park in LA area (the LA County Fairgrounds in Pomona) often. Not fun (truck lane surface is bad), but not a big deal either. Would NEVER tow above 65 in CA.
Crowded freeways in LA are not a problem. Put on the turn signal to indicate a need to change lanes. People will back off & let you in. It's CA not NJ.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
We figure 50 mph average for around 6 hours/day. We generally tow at 55-60 mph. We make one stop mid-morning for stretch and potty break, a longer break around noon for lunch and for the cats to take a potty break and another break in mid-afternoon. I am retired and see no reason for driving much more than 300 miles per day. It just means that we can have our coffee and read the newspaper in the morning in a relaxed manner and get set up in plenty of time for a nice happy hour at 5:00 pm. Ain't that what AS travel is supposed to be about?
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The happy hour, the coffee, or both?😀😀😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
I am retired and see no reason for driving much more than 300 miles per day.

Ain't that what AS travel is supposed to be about?
Now that I'm retired, I won't drive two days in a row, so all stops are for at least two nights, and I won't even bother to leave home unless I can be gone at least a week. My goal is to spend half of my time Airstreaming, and the other half of my time planning where to go Airstreaming. I haven't reached my goal yet, but I'm making progress toward it.

But when I was working for a living, I had no choice but to push on to my destination as quickly as possible, and push on to return home as quickly as possible, so I could spend as much time at my destination as my limited vacation time would allow. And that was regardless of weather conditions, too. Many a time I hitched up my toad and drove in a thunderstorm to get back home in time to report back to work the next day. But not anymore.

Not everybody has the same luxury of time, and I will not criticize anyone's driving schedule as long as they're not doing something that endangers themselves or others. If someone wants to rack up as many miles a day as possible, power to them. If they want to mosey along with all the time in the world to get where they're going, power to them as well.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We use the distances (Google, Maps, AAA...) as rough guides for distance. I never seem to complete the trip in the time they estimate. For time, I figure 50-55 miles an hour. It doesn't seem to matter how fast we drive, nor the length of our stays. We've accepted the fact that owning and enjoying an Airstream just means that enjoying the trip is as important as arriving at the destination. We sometimes go longer than 8 or 10 hours, but we won't drive in the dark unless it's an emergency...
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
On the last stop of my journey to northern Washington State on I5.
I tow at 60 mph no faster. Counting fuel stops and lunch breaks, I average 50 mph. I also have never seen a trailer pulled over by the CHP. I am retired therefore never need to rush. I limit myself to 300 - 350 miles a day. 250 miles a day is better yet. So I tow 6-8 hours a day with six hours the preferred.
If you don't have time constraints, relax and enjoy.
I am home tomorrow with about 220 miles to go after two weeks on the road.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #35
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Last year we traveled 8,000 miles in 8 weeks, from Seattle to Orlando, FL, and then back via South Carolina. Full crew complement was the two of us and our golden retriever. We never went faster than 65 MPH (e.g. to pass someone), and mostly went 60 on the highways where that was safe and allowed - even in states with speed limits of 80 MPH.

Our average overall speed was about 45 MPH. This figure is all in, fully loaded, actual experience including stops for lunch, gas and other things, as well as walkies and water breaks for the pup. (It turned out that riding in the crew cab with us was thirsty work for our golden. Who knew?)

If you don't have a pup with you who needs walkies and such like, you may wind up averaging closer to 50. If you're *averaging* 60+ MPH, you're driving much faster than we did.

If we went 320 miles in a day (which would take us roughly 7 hours with stops), that was a big, tiring effort and toward the end it would become not very much fun. So, find a daily distance that works for you and make it a fun trip.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Wow! You guys have been an incredible wealth of information - far more than I had expected. Thanks so much to all of you for replying. I think that I'm going to estimate around 50MPH including fuel stops, and of course if we stop longer for food, I'll take that into account as well.

Now, surveying my options for a route. I understand that some people don't mind driving through LA, while others won't ever do it again. I'm an okay driver from a nerves standpoint, but I'd rather opt for a more easy drive as long as it doesn't cost us too much time.

BTW, we aren't retired quite yet, so that is forcing us to push it a bit on this trip. We need to get up to OR to get the solar installed, then back down to Tucson because we have jobs waiting for us. Next year this time we won't have these time constraints upon us!

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
We moved from Tucson to Eugene/Springfield, OR. All of the auto routing programs route you I-10 thru LA. then up thru I-5 to Eugene/Springfield. The most direct not considering the traffic. I avoid LA at all costs!! I have made this trip easily a dozen times as we still have family in Tucson. The Eugene/Springfield, OR route we use is; I-10 to SR-74 (N of Phoenix) towards Wickenburg, then US 93 to I-40 (near Kingman), then I-40 to Barstow, CA, then SR 58 to Bakersfield, CA, then over to Lost Hills via 99 N to 46 W (towards Wasco, CA), then I-5 to Eugene/Springfield, OR. Far less traffic an more pleasant drive. The difference in mileage is negligible. I will be taking this route again this summer, wave as we pass going in opposite directions. I have done the I-10 thru LA, ONCE, never again!!!!!!!
Thanks for the tip. I mapped this out on Google Maps and it came out to 1414 miles, so a little more mileage, but if it's a more pleasant drive, it's probably well worth it. 93N - is that a two-lane road?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnet01 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I mapped this out on Google Maps and it came out to 1414 miles, so a little more mileage, but if it's a more pleasant drive, it's probably well worth it. 93N - is that a two-lane road?
Mrdfred's is excellent advice. There's another longer but even more scenic route, which is to skip the 58 to Bakersfield and instead go North on the 395 all the way into Oregon. This is our return route from Hood River, OR to our storage near the 10 and 215 if we don't want to windsurf the Sacramento River Delta on the way home

It's two lane highway, but quite beautiful.

Anything in or near LA is subject to major traffic at all hours, but if course particularly during the very long rush hours. The 210 is generally better than the 10--certainly prettier--but can also be a mess.

Mrdfred's route is the best compromise for that leg of your journey.

The mapping apps' algorithms seem to search first for Interstates. We prefer to explore more, and often state highways can be faster--more direct and with Jess traffic. But local knowledge near metro centers is critical. That's why you came to the forums!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
93N in AZ is mostly 4 lane, just like the Interstates with some 2 lane portions. I stop at Flying J or Love's @ Kingman, Barstow, Tehachapi (BTW Loves's at Tehachapi has the lowest diesel price in CA) and Corning, CA, and Roseburg, OR. I have also taken 395 N on the East side of the Sierras, a beautiful alternative is time in not important.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
If you are looking for a place to stay in Eugene, I recommend Armitage County Park on the McKenzie River off of Coburg Rd. Full hook-ups lots of shade, in town. A little further out is Richardson Park on Fern Ridge Reservoir, off of Territorial Hwy., full hook-ups, lots of shade only 15 min from town.