Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Travel times with Google Maps can be misleading. I always use it to understand route options, distance, time and construction/traffic conditions. Then I take that distance and the need for stops - both fuel (distance between gas stations), and with the wife and Labrador I also use rest stops every couple of hours. We schedule meal breaks around the rest stops.
Take everything into account and I average ~35-38 MPH.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Traffic and lay of the land/road engineering can definitely be a factor, towing or just driving.

Example is I-70. Kansas City to St. Louis is about a 250 mile trip and takes about 4 hours (straight driving; not towing). It is exhausting.

Traffic is always packed. Lots of semitrailer trucks, many bridges, small shoulders so little margin of safety. And most traffic at fast speeds with a lot of lane changing. Basically you can either drive 60 and let everyone pass you or keep up with traffic and go 83.

Kansas City to Denver on I-70 is a drive that is twice the distance but one that (excluding Denver proper and it's traffic) is much easier and less tiresome. Wide lanes, good shoulders, you can see a long distance ahead, less traffic.

All things being equal, even though it is twice the distance, it is an easier drive. And both are the same "road".

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Like others have noted, I figure on 50 mph over the course of a travel day. This includes accounts for stops for gas, food, and restroom. So I'll plan for around 350 miles of travel prior to stopping for an overnight.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Google Maps

If you use GoogleMaps on a device like your smartphone or iPad and have kept it updated, the current version will automatically adjust driving time to your destination for the speed you are going and then modify your time to destination. This works for whatever speed you are actually going. And if there is some kind of traffic delay enroute, it will again both show you the delay and further modify your driving time.

I drive I5 in California frequently with my AS and have actually never seen a trailer stopped by the Highway Patrol. In fact you rarely see anyone stopped. If you go 55mph, you will be a safety hazard for yourself and everyone else. As noted in other posts, most trailers go just under 65. So between 60-65mph you are going the same speed as other traielrs and trucks. If you tuck in behind a truck going North, you will see a remarkable improvement in your gas mileage from the truck's draft.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #19
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
We add up the miles, then figure 40mph as the overall speed. 8 hours is 320 miles. That's a good days drive for us.
I'm gonna use that calculation. Sounds about right, it will factor in a few inconsistent factors such as traffic, fuel stops, food, etc. More or less, I am not gonna come knocking at your door and say you LIAR!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #20
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifBob View Post
If you use GoogleMaps on a device like your smartphone or iPad and have kept it updated, the current version will automatically adjust driving time to your destination for the speed you are going and then modify your time to destination. This works for whatever speed you are actually going. And if there is some kind of traffic delay enroute, it will again both show you the delay and further modify your driving time.

I drive I5 in California frequently with my AS and have actually never seen a trailer stopped by the Highway Patrol. In fact you rarely see anyone stopped. If you go 55mph, you will be a safety hazard for yourself and everyone else. As noted in other posts, most trailers go just under 65. So between 60-65mph you are going the same speed as other traielrs and trucks. If you tuck in behind a truck going North, you will see a remarkable improvement in your gas mileage from the truck's draft.
Then on that final turn you push the gas and pass him for the win. Oh wait, that was DAYS OF THUNDER, nevermind. Yes, going behind a big rig does improve your mileage, although I don't have hard data. I am just using laws of physics and understanding of fluid dynamics of how drag shared is drag reduced. Let me know if I sound convincing as if I know what I am talking about
Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Yes, going behind a big rig does improve your mileage, although I don't have hard data. I am just using laws of physics and understanding of fluid dynamics of how drag shared is drag reduced. Let me know if I sound convincing as if I know what I am talking about
It's theoretically true, but impractical. In fact, it's one reason why your Airstream's trailer tongue is so short, so the trailer is tucked up close behind the tow vehicle to reduce drag.

Slipstreaming a semi only works if you follow dangerously close, so that you're far enough inside his slipstream. If you can see anything else but semitrailer through your windshield, you're not close enough to benefit.

You can actually experience reduced mileage by following behind a semi, if you're just far enough away for his slipstream to close itself up right before it hits you. In my Airstream Interstate, which is especially boxy in shape, if I'm at this distance I can feel buffeting that makes me have to work harder to steer. When this happens— usually right after one passes me and cuts back in too close in front of me— I drop back until the buffeting disappears.

Best to maintain your normal safe following distance and not try to slipstream a semi. The rear-end collision you avoid will save you much more money than the few pennies you'd save on fuel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Not to mention the rocks those big tires can throw.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #23
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
All depends on how you are
Old 06-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hi! We make that drive a lot. Of course, your speed limit will be 55 towing, and Google estimated it at the posted limit, which is 65-70, so you can do that calc based on what you're comfortable driving.

But we usually just use the old Autoclub standard of 50 mph average, including all stops. This has been pretty accurate for us, but might be a wee bit high in CA with the 55 limit (we cruise 59-63.) so look at Googles projected mileage and divide by 45-50 for a pretty good guesstimate of actual travel time.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Generally we tow between 60 and 75mph with most of our speed between 63 and 72mpg. When I can, I set the speed control at either 65 or 70 and just steer. I divide the google milage by 60, then add 45 minutes for three potty/stretch your legs breaks, an hour for lunch and a short nap and 15 minutes fueling with diesel at a truck stop island.

So in short, I divide the milage by 60 and add two hours for non driving to figure the day.

But above all, when momma says we're done, we're done. She's the navigator and has the campground guides. I'm the driver and Sasha the cat is just along for the ride.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Like a number of others here, I use 50 MPH average for any trip. That includes stops for potty and lunch. Does not seem to matter where we go that is about right. The one trip that was much slower was the coast road down to Charleston...never again.

Larry
Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
We moved from Tucson to Eugene/Springfield, OR. All of the auto routing programs route you I-10 thru LA. then up thru I-5 to Eugene/Springfield. The most direct not considering the traffic. I avoid LA at all costs!! I have made this trip easily a dozen times as we still have family in Tucson. The Eugene/Springfield, OR route we use is; I-10 to SR-74 (N of Phoenix) towards Wickenburg, then US 93 to I-40 (near Kingman), then I-40 to Barstow, CA, then SR 58 to Bakersfield, CA, then over to Lost Hills via 99 N to 46 W (towards Wasco, CA), then I-5 to Eugene/Springfield, OR. Far less traffic an more pleasant drive. The difference in mileage is negligible. I will be taking this route again this summer, wave as we pass going in opposite directions. I have done the I-10 thru LA, ONCE, never again!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Two weeks ago we drove from Maryland to Colorado. With pit stops for gas, numerous stops for bathroom breaks, lunch we averaged 45 mph when trying to maintain 65 mph while actually driving.