Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Places to stay between Maryland & South Carolina

My wife and I are taking the vintage Airstream south for frame and floor work. We've made the trip down the (in)famous 95 corridor several times, most notably taking the kids to Disneyworld. We are traveling down on Thanksgiving weekend and need a place to stay along the way, probably somewhere in North Carolina. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Hampstead,
So you have or will have the trailer road worthy by thanksgiving? Glad to hear it. Who's doing the work?

I am sorry I do not know of any places to stay that far south, but I figured I could bump your post for you.

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
My wife and I are taking the vintage Airstream south for frame and floor work. We've made the trip down the (in)famous 95 corridor several times, most notably taking the kids to Disneyworld. We are traveling down on Thanksgiving weekend and need a place to stay along the way, probably somewhere in North Carolina. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
When we're making our annual trip to Florida we pull into RVacation Campground (1-866-783-5923) in Selma, NC for our mid-trip stop. We hit it every year on our trip south and on our return north. The place is on the east side of Rte 95 close to Exit 98 and can be seen from Rte 95. The people running it are very nice, they direct you right to your site, the place is clean, restrooms are clean and the majority of the sites are pull through, so you don't have to disconnect your rig for the night. Have a safe trip.
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
stayed at rvacation on my way back from ft widerness last year overnite.called these people from the road since my eta was going to be around 11pm.when i arrived they were very accomodating by leading me back to my site with a golf cart and flashlight.great stop for the weary traveler.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
First, let me say the campground showers are extremely important to me since I don't use the B-van's shower any more than absolutely necessary - it's just too small. So showers really make or break a campground for me. I'll try to separate my reviews into "campground" and "campground showers" because I know most people just use their own.

South of the Border (in Dillon, SC, just south of the NC/SC border) is actually quite nice for an overnight stay. Roving security, gate, plenty of pull-through sites, very nice showers, free soaps, and it's unbelievably cheap ($19/night when I was there in 2005). Plus you have all the great shops and the Giant Sombrero nearby! Seriously, it's a LOT nicer than I was expecting, and I will definitely stop there again next time I'm heading that way.

I stayed at Rock Ridge Campground in Sims, North Carolina on my way back from that trip. The campground was nice, but the showers needed work. If you use your own shower then there'll be no problem.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Thanks, folks. Since we're not able to leave until about 2 p.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I went ahead and booked the campground in Selma. I spoke with Tony who was very nice. We have a spot reserved for the evening. Depending on the I-96 corridor traffic, it could be a long pull from northern Maryland to Selma, NC.

I like the South of the Border idea, but I think we plan to finish the trip to SC on Thanksgiving Day. As for parking near Beaufort, that's our next challenge. I'll post a report on the facilities, but I'm sure we'll be happy.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Thanks, folks. Since we're not able to leave until about 2 p.m. on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I went ahead and booked the campground in Selma. I spoke with Tony who was very nice. We have a spot reserved for the evening. Depending on the I-96 corridor traffic, it could be a long pull from northern Maryland to Selma, NC.

I like the South of the Border idea, but I think we plan to finish the trip to SC on Thanksgiving Day. As for parking near Beaufort, that's our next challenge. I'll post a report on the facilities, but I'm sure we'll be happy.
Driving time from the north/east tip of NJ to Selma is 9 hr 42min. Drive time from Delaware Memorial Bridge to Selma is 7 hr 41 min. Drive time from Francis Scott Key Bridge (propane bypass) in MD is 6 hr 15 min. Have a safe trip.