Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Alabaster , Alabama
Places that are must see in UP of Michigan & NE Wisconsin

Hi all, we are planning a trip to Wisconsin near Milwaukee mid August for a family reunion and want to follow up with time in the UP and eventually make it down to Toledo to see the Rock & Roll Museum before taking it back to Alabama.

Any suggestions of places you've been and we shouldn't miss will be appreciated!

Currently have a 6 day reservation at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground after our get together in Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts & suggestions!
gmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
South Lyon , Michigan
Pictured Rocks lakeshore near Muinising on Lake Superior and Tahquamenon Falls on the eastern side of the UP. The Soo locks in Sault Saint Marie are interesting too.
Rdavenp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
!. Mackinac Island is very cool. The island does not allow motorized vehicles...only allows horses, bicycles and foot traffic. The Grand Hotel is a must see if not a stay overnight. For any movie buffs, that is where "Somewhere In Time" was shot.
2. The ferry ride to Mackinac Island that travels under the Mackinac Bridge is fun. Actually just traveling over the bridge is something my wife says she will never do again. I thought it was amazing.
3. Going north to Whitefish Point has a working lighthouse; Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum; and Edmund Fitzgerald Memorial. If anyone from the 70's remembers "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot, it is a must see.
4. Taking a boat tour through the Soo Locks at Sault Ste. Marie is great. I have been on the Panama Canal and the Soo Locks and they are both incredible. Highly recommend it!!
5, That doesn't include all the state parks; hiking trails and waterfalls in the area. The Tahquamenon Falls (upper and lower) were amazing and the water is brown due to all of the tannins in the water. Just FYI...If hiking just remember to bring bug spray. The mosquitoes were incredible there!!

Padawan
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Oh! And I almost forgot. If you are into local cuisine, you will have to try a pasty. NOT a pastie that you wear. A pasty is a meat turnover and very tasty. It was a favorite of the miners that worked in the area. Give it a try!

Padawan
Old 06-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
. . .
. . . The Grand Hotel is a must see . . . where "Somewhere In Time" was shot.
. . .
Bingo!

We felt as if we were going back in time . . . along with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

Have a great trip.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I just got back from a TX-TN-KY-IN-MI-WI-IA-KS-OK-TX trip... and I wish I'd stayed! I should have scheduled for later in the year to miss more of the TX summer, but it was a great trip.

I recommend Michigan state parks. Buy the $33 annual "non-resident pass" and save a bunch of money on camping, like many state parks they charge entry fees on top of the camping fees, and those entry fees are waived for pass holders.

I'll second the vote for Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, it's a pleasant town and the locks are a much for engineering nerds. You get to see sights like the ones in these photos, too!

Munising was a nice town.

Next time we'll probably spend longer in the UP, we were in the southern part of MI as well and enjoyed those state parks. In total we camped on 4 of the 5 Great Lakes on this trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soo_locks_cg_canadian.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	344595   Click image for larger version

Name:	soo_locks_cg_cargo.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	344596  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Pictured Rocks, and drive the shoreline as much as you can, from Duluth east to Soo.

Lake Superior is a spectacularly beautiful lake.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmattingly View Post
Hi all, we are planning a trip to Wisconsin near Milwaukee mid August for a family reunion and want to follow up with time in the UP and eventually make it down to Toledo to see the Rock & Roll Museum before taking it back to Alabama.

Any suggestions of places you've been and we shouldn't miss will be appreciated!

Currently have a 6 day reservation at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground after our get together in Wisconsin.

So you know, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not in Toledo, it is in Cleveland a few hours east of Toledo. Also since you are looking to go to that area you are only a couple of hours from taking the Jackson Center tour...staying in the Terraport is cheap enough and on some days during the season they have hot dogs for lunch ahead of the 1 p.m. tour. There is a currently active thread about other things to do in the Jackson Center area going on right now as well.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Alabaster , Alabama
Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions! I need to get better at button control, as I posted the thread before reviewing it and did realize that the R & R Hall of Fame is in Cleveland!

With everyones' input, it looks like we are going to be out 5-6 weeks- and include a visit to Airstream on the way home!

One final question, has anyone stayed at the state park in Harrisville? It looks like there is good bike trails there and we were thinking 3 - 4 days.
gmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
FYI...just 25 minutes north of JC is Wapakoneta, OH which is the birthplace of Neil Armstrong. The Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum is a cool place to visit. Especially since it is the 50th anniversary of his moonwalk in July.

Padawan
Old 06-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions! I need to get better at button control, as I posted the thread before reviewing it and did realize that the R & R Hall of Fame is in Cleveland!

With everyones' input, it looks like we are going to be out 5-6 weeks- and include a visit to Airstream on the way home!

One final question, has anyone stayed at the state park in Harrisville? It looks like there is good bike trails there and we were thinking 3 - 4 days.
We stayed at Harrisville.

The lakefront sites are a bit too short for the 26U plus the F150 (had to unhitch), but they are indeed on the lakefront! It's a nice park, lots of shade (not that we needed it in early June!) I don't know about the bike trails but we decided we should've stayed longer there. Huron is beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	harrisville_campsite.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	506.9 KB
ID:	344644   Click image for larger version

Name:	huron_shore.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	344645  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
Don't forget Door County, Wisconsin as well as the railroad museum in Green Bay.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We got our AS in 2016 and our "maiden voyage" was from Seattle to the International Rally that year in West Virginia. Our 10 days in WVA left us wanting to get out of the heat and humidity, so we went NORTH, ultimately arriving in the UP, specifically in the Hancock/Houghton area of the UP peninsula. Leaving the AS in the RV park, of which there are many there --- we liked the county park in Hancock --- we "circumnavigated" the peninsula one day in our truck, going up to and back from Copper Harbor, and spent several other days in the area, among other things touring the mines --- which are some of my best memories from our nine week trip to WVA and back. I commend the Kekeenaw Peninsula to you.

https://www.michigan.org/article/tri...sula-road-trip

Before driving to the peninsula, we spent several days in Mackinaw City, although we didn't take the ferry to Mackinac Island, because of our dog. Frankly, I was underwhelmed by Mackinac City, a collection of storefronts selling either fudge, T-shirts, or doodads. The bridge is spectacular, and I enjoyed the drive to Hancock/Houghton, but the city itself to me was blah. Maybe if we could have gone to M. Island, our time there would have been worthwhile.

Some other worthwhile stops for us between WVA & the UP:

1. The Airstream Tour in Jackson Center, OH:
https://www.airstream.com/company/factory-tour/

2. The classic car museum in Auburn, Indiana: http://www.automobilemuseum.org/

3. The Harley Museum in Milwaukee:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/museum.html

4. The Packers Museum in Green Bay:
https://www.packers.com/lambeau-fiel...-of-fame/visit

I had always wanted to tour the Hershey plant, in Hershey, PA, so that was our first big stop after WVA. What a letdown. The nightly rate for RV parking was --- gasp!!! --- $95. The tour was not of any actual plant at all; it was an audio-visual presentation. And at the end of the presentation, they presented each of their visitors with a piece of chocolate about the size of an airmail stamp. I was not positively impressed, especially for a company with the size and reputation of Hershey. Maybe I should be thankful: a bite of chocolate was better than nothing --- but for me, the Hershey park and tour was a very expensive nothing.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Last summer we spent a wonderful week at Bayfield WI touring the area and paddling the Apostle Islands.

Near Chipeawa Falls we stayed at Lake Wisota State Park. typical state park but our site was really big. We paddled Lake Wisota and the Cornell Floatilla.

Name:	IMG_4133.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	344658

Name:	campsite Lk Wissotta.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	344659

The Floatilla is scheduled this year for July 6, 2019. technically a beginner paddle you see lots of people there paddling everything from floats, canoes, rec-kayaks and maybe a sea kayak. Our sea kayaks won't be there this year. It was a real good time. Good tee shirt. Good food. Good raffle prizes.

Name:	pic 4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	344660

https://caba.redpodium.com/floatilla-2019

Burnet Island State park is at Cornell in the lake and the destination for the floatilla parade and Guinness World Record attempt.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hilliard , Ohio
Breevort National Forest campground. Beautiful and peaceful in UP
thixoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Typical Apostle Islands, pic 1.....Sand Island light house, pic 2....Sea Cave on Sand Island
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic 2.91.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	344663   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 2.45.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	344664  

Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Classy Roscoe

Just returned from the UP. All the previous post are right on. However, do your self a big favor and purchase a mosquito net hat or jacket. Because of rain the little fellows are swarming. It will take about 4 days to get them out of your trailer. So be advised.

Oh, and downtown Duluth (Superior Ave.) three city blocks are closed and under construction.

Safe travels.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:

Get a "Bridgeview" spot at Mill Creek Campground. Worth the extra $$. Since you have an AS you will be able to enjoy the nighttime view of the bridge from the comfort of your lounge. We stayed there 2 times and loved it. Do visit the Island. If you are a Veteran the ferry ride is deeply discounted. Take bikes with you if possible. Have a great trip. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Memories :)

Ah the memories! I am originally from Michigan and remember the camping trips my family did to the UP. We stayed at a campground on Cusino Lake near Munising and I surely remember the mosquitos and black flies! We saw The Pictured Rocks and Tahquamenon Falls and they were excellent. All of the recommendations everyone has given are fantastic from my memories.
I have a question though since it has been so long since I have been there. My husband and I are driving our Airstream down from Alaska and taking a cross-country trip through a number of places but wanted to know what the conditions would be like in the UP at the end of September. Does anyone know? I was never up there at that time. We are planning our trip and need to know if there might be snow.
Thanks a bunch!
Mary (aka nerka3)
nerka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerka3 View Post
Ah the memories! I am originally from Michigan and remember the camping trips my family did to the UP. We stayed at a campground on Cusino Lake near Munising and I surely remember the mosquitos and black flies! We saw The Pictured Rocks and Tahquamenon Falls and they were excellent. All of the recommendations everyone has given are fantastic from my memories.
!
Mary (aka nerka3)
If you to see Tahuamenon Falls and it is in the heat of the summer take a swim suit and enjoy a spa tub like you have never seen before!! Water is warm in the middle and late summer and the yellow water is so cool bubbling around you.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote