Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
PIX from our first family trip!

..after enduring a subtle (and unspoken) vibe around the house that seemed to be saying/thinking: "..soooo...are we ever going to actually USE this trailer in the backyard or will you just keep WORKING ON IT for the next few decades..?" we hitched up the sway bars and hit the road! Destination: greater Hattiesburg (MS) and Okatoma Creek for some fantastic canoeing.. Ole Pucci (pronounced "poochie"..he's Italian.. and 15 yrs. old) wasn't about to be left behind!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivier_080619_4149.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	63101

After looking over the Outpost's "trailer park" (not a tree around) we improvised and headed over to Paul B. Johnson State Park about 10 miles south of Hattiesburg, where we were greeted with some really peaceful vibes and beautiful scenery..

Name:	Olivier_080616_4083-2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	63102

Around dusk I just couldn't resist snapping a few of Sapphire glowing in the soft Mississippi light, even if she was the only beauty queen sitting in the midst of a bunch of white Squaresville boxes..

Name:	Olivier_080617_4113.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	63103

So here's the REAL reason I bought an Airstream: for my kid. I grew up in the country and she's a city slicker but I really want her to get a good taste of what relaxed country livin' is all about..even if she only can get it a weekend at a time. And if she wants to bring her portable DVD player and watch our fave flicks like Teacher's Pet, count me in!

Name:	Olivier_080617_4121.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	63104

This trip had a lot of "firsts" for us and one was First Awning Opening. Wasn't nearly as tricky as I had feared. Here we're out at Flint Creek State Park which has a wonderful water park that slides you right into the lake..

Name:	Olivier_080619_4147.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	63105

Once we got out on the Okatoma my kid broke out the $10 disposable underwater camera and started shooting...here's the old man gittin' busy with the paddle and canoe steering:

Name:	Olivier_080625_002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	63106

Okatoma Creek is some of the best paddling around here (only 2 hours from our home in New Orleans) and the $30 canoe and shuttle is worth every penny. We had our good friends The Bennett's join us on the creek where my twin brother (different mothers) Carl showed us some Cajun Surfing on the Okatoma Rapids:

Name:	Olivier_080625_017.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	63107

Even Pucci seemed more relaxed on the ride home.. hey, don't be a player-hater I heard him say:

Name:	Olivier_080619_4159.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	63108

Sure you can have fun camping without an Airstream...but you just can't have MORE fun that you'll have with one!

Name:	Olivier_080618_4132-1.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	63109
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Fun storytelling Rick -- looks like a good time was had by all!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
First trip

fotochop,
It looks like you and your family had a great time. We just returned from our first trip and it was great. Now we have to wait for the next one.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for sharing your trip with us...sounds wonderful...and sounds like you are a good dad, too. (Pucci told me.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
..after enduring a subtle (and unspoken) vibe around the house that seemed to be saying/thinking: "..soooo...are we ever going to actually USE this trailer in the backyard or will you just keep WORKING ON IT for the next few decades..?" we hitched up the sway bars and hit the road! Destination: greater Hattiesburg (MS) and Okatoma Creek for some fantastic canoeing.. Ole Pucci (pronounced "poochie"..he's Italian.. and 15 yrs. old) wasn't about to be left behind!
Fotochop,
Great story and I'm glad the first outing went so well. It is always a bonus when you have good weather and a good trip on the first outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
fotochop,
It looks like you and your family had a great time. We just returned from our first trip and it was great. Now we have to wait for the next one.

63silver
63silver,
I know what you mean. This workin' for a living is killing us. I am 42 and my wife is 49 (she robbed the craddle) and we are trying to come up with schemes that will aloow us to full time. I figure if we sold all of our worldly posessions we could do it...until we start talking about the dreaded HEALTH INSURANCE. So for now we have to be content with long weekends and the odd week long trips here and there.

So buck up little camper, the "next one" is right around the corner.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread

What a nice story and photos too!! We bought our Airstream to go camping with our kid too. Have fun making more great travel memories!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Nice, very nice indeed!
Airstreaming with the young ones, a $30 canoe and cajun surfin to boot!! yee haa

I won't touch the "brother from anotha mother" thing tho!!!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Rick, it's good to hear from you, and I'm glad that you finally got to take that rig camping! Looks like it was a great trip.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Way to go dude! Glad to see you are on the road and enjoyn' things.

We do the Bogue Chitto canoe trip every other year, never been on the Okatoma. They pick you up in the campground, shuttle you up stream and you float to the campground.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Way to go dude! Glad to see you are on the road and enjoyn' things.

We do the Bogue Chitto canoe trip every other year, never been on the Okatoma. They pick you up in the campground, shuttle you up stream and you float to the campground.
I'd like to canoe every navigable (unpolluted) river around here. I'm surprised no one is renting on the Tangipahoa River. I haven't been on it but it seems like it would be ideal for canoeing. biz opportunity?? if I had some $ laying around..hmmm... that Bogue Chitto float is nice, also the Magee's Creek that feeds it..
Old 07-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Hey, Rick,

I've had some great trips on the Okatoma! The "falls" are the closest thing to whitewater in south MS. (Watch out for that undercut rock, and keep flotation on, especially the kids.)

Black Creek is nice, too. A wild and scenic river.

Red Creek near Wiggins/Perkinston. They have a "beach" there.

Paul B Johnson is an interesting place. The lakes were built by German POWs held at Camp Shelby back in WWII. Lots of stories there ...

And speaking of WWII, if you ever get a chance to see Cat Island, the military used it as a dog training site. They tried to train dogs to "smell" foreign invaders. Trouble is, the prisoners (Japanese) they used ate the same food as everyone else and smelled like everyone else. The last time I was fishing out there, you could still see the embankments on the little canals, and pads where the camp tents were set up. The military also used Cat as a stopping place on the Trail of Tears for the Seminole nation. That's all some bleak story-telling, but needs to be remembered, in case more hairbrained schemes are hatched involving national security on the barrier islands.

Haven't seen Cat Island since Katrina. There used to be some good marshes for redfish and speckled trout, flounder, and shrimping. Now, those stories are real good ones. We caught some monster reds -- and some sharks -- in the cut through Ship Island. Get your license and keep it handy -- they do check. And if you happen to wander over into Louisiana waters, don't get caught without a LA license, either. They'll take all your stuff and your boat. We were sitting out waiting for the change of tide on a bank just across the line. The wildlife agents checked each and every person out there.

Now that all the tourism is down due to Katrina, and all the energy going to rebuilding the "gaming establishments" on the Coast, the smaller waters might be just the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors.

I'd be interested to see what the big storm might have done to some of the creeks.

I used to live in Hattiesburg. Very nice little city.

Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Great pics... Thanks for sharing!

I had to chuckle when I read your quote about your AS being the beauty queen. I'm right there with ya! (high five!)

You're doing the right thing... making memories for your child... positive ones!
(Lois)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Yes, 2Air, we have 2Dogs ;-)

2Air noticed we actually have 2Dogs and sweetheart Judi didn't get her props so here's a couple of her to round out this thread...she's 50 times sweeter than the Old Italian (and a much better driver) and should never be left out ;-)

Name:	Olivier_080619_4141.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	63431

Name:	Olivier_080617_4127.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	63432
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Foto chop I will be taking mine out for our first Airstream vacation. It will be my first time ever pulling an RV on vacation. We are leaving in a couple of days.

It looks like you are having a great time.
SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound View Post
Foto chop I will be taking mine out for our first Airstream vacation. It will be my first time ever pulling an RV on vacation. We are leaving in a couple of days.

It looks like you are having a great time.
SIU Bound

Brian
yes, the ultimate way to 'vacate' unless you're going international... but hey, Wally did it that way too...

I'm a big fan of The Slow Tow, especially with current gas prices. It also feels a whole lot SAFER, even on our local flatlands. Just smile at the wackos who zoom by as you dig your journey...then smile at them again when you pull up next to them at the red light...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Rick,

Looks like you guyes had a great first trip, thanks for sharing. We go to Paul B Johnson State Park often to visit family, very nice, I like the full hookups. There's some great canoeing in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post

Haven't seen Cat Island since Katrina. There used to be some good marshes for redfish and speckled trout, flounder, and shrimping. Now, those stories are real good ones. We caught some monster reds -- and some sharks -- in the cut through Ship Island.
It's been a very good year for speckled trout fishing here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote