Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
Pigeon Forge, TN

We're were looking to go to Pigeon Forge Tn, wanted to check out the Titanic attraction there.. Was wondering if anyone has been there, what campground you used. So...in a nut shell what were your thoughts, any recommendations of what to see or not to waste time on. Thanks
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Pigeon Forge is a great little tourist trap that is lots of fun. They have all kinds of activities for the young and old such as comedy shows, dinner theaters (Dixie Stampede), parks (Dollywood and Splash Mountain), outlet and speciality stores, etc. Plus it is close to Gatlinburg that is also nice to walk the streets, visit the shops and attractions (Ripley's Believe it or Not, Aquarium, etc.) AND Cades Cove is near by for touring, picnicing, site seeing and also camping.

We stayed at Adventure Bound right outside of Pigeon Forge. It was a great campground if you have kids as they also have a water slide, pool, game room, and such. The sites were a little close together for my taste, but we did have good neighbors and lots of fun.

It is definitely worth visiting. Enjoy!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari25-05 View Post
We're were looking to go to Pigeon Forge Tn, wanted to check out the Titanic attraction there.. Was wondering if anyone has been there, what campground you used. So...in a nut shell what were your thoughts, any recommendations of what to see or not to waste time on. Thanks
Last summer we stayed at Misty River Campground in Walland TN, about 30 mins away from Pigeon Forge:

Tennessee Camping at the Misty River Campground in Townsend

This was probably the best commercial campground I've stayed in. The pads are not too close together, there's a pool and a take away pizza place, and the bathhouse was exceptionally clean. We called ahead as we were running late when we arrived and they kept someone on hand to welcome us and show us to our site. It is close to a highway but with the summer foliage on the trees I don't recall hearing it at all. If I'm in that area again, which I'm sure I will be, I shall use Misty River.

Pigeon Forge is a laugh - being English it was even more of a culture shock for me than for others, but it certainly is an experience. The Titanic attraction is very well done; not mawkish at all and really very respectful. I enjoyed it a lot, despite being a bit concerned before we went in.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We stayed with these folks. Small. Easy to get in and out. Nice people.
Camping in the Smokies - Gatlinburg, TN 37738
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
check out River Plantation, nice campground. away from the hoop la and on the trolley route.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We stayed at Foothills RV park. On the edge of town. Quiet and easy to get to everything.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
The Quite Side

We like to stay at the KOA in Townsand...there are two short and beautiful routes through the mountains to PF? In addition you will be 2 minutes for the Park and 20 minutes form Cade's Cove.
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We enjoy bicycling and the ride throught Cades Cove. This is a historic early American Appalachian settlement. The scenic drive through the area is an 11 mile loop for joggers, bikers or autos. We have seen turkeys, deer and bears on our rides around the loop. While we have not seen elk they have been re-introduced to the area. The entrance to Cades Cove is just past Townsend TN which is about 25 minutes from Pidgeon Forge. We stay at the Townsend/Great Smokies KOA. While the sites are a little close the campground is along the banks of the Liitle River with some sites at river's edge. Townsend is known as the "Peaceful side of the Great Smoky Mountains" and is outside of the hustle and bustle of Pidgeon Forge/Gatlinburg but still close enough to see the "sights." If you arrive from Maryville, TN you can avoid "towing" through the heavy traffic areas of Pidgeon Forge.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
My hubby and I went to the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum in Gatlinburg and regretted it. I think the aquarium would have been a lot more interesting. There is a good boot store in Pigeon Forge called "Boot Factory Outlet", or "Buy One, Get Two Free" as the giant sign outside reads. My husband never goes anywhere without the boots he got there a few years ago, and they are still going strong. So if you are into the whole cowboy boot thing, Pigeon Forge is the place to be!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
We stayed at the "Pine Mountain RV Park by the Creek." Very clean (new).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	155659  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
thanks

Thanks for all the replies, sure does help some.
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Having been there a couple of times, i would only caution you on expecting long lines of traffic practically everywhere you. Keep your gas tank full. One time it took an hour and a half to go three miles getting into Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge. I do recommend the Dixie Stampede in PF. Probably the best show that a whole family can enjoy.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Having been there a couple of times, i would only caution you on expecting long lines of traffic practically everywhere you. Keep your gas tank full. One time it took an hour and a half to go three miles getting into Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge. I do recommend the Dixie Stampede in PF. Probably the best show that a whole family can enjoy.
X2 on the traffic. At times it can take an extremely long time to travel a mile. You need to be a very patient person to drive in Pigeon Forge during tourist season.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
We stayed at the Smoky Bear Campground on HWY 321, its clean, has a pool. The Gatlinburg Campgrounds | Adventure Bound Gatlinburg| abcamping.com has a nice pool & water slide, its on 321 as well. Theres also a neat campground in Pigeon Forge as well.
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
If you are OK with dry camping, Elkmont Campground in the Smokies National Park is superb, and close to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. One of our favorites.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Ditto. I love Elkmont, and always stay there on my annual fishing jaunts to the Smokies. Close to the trailheads of lots of nice hikes in the Smokies.

If you really wanna' be in Pigeon Forge, however, well then go for one of the commercial campgrounds. I can't stand all the people and traffic, so I usually go through Townsend and never go into Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Terrific fly fishing shop in Townsend, by the way; Little River Outfitters.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We were back there in 2006 for a 'pass through' visit to Pigeon Forge...sorry, not all that impressive with the 'forced' tourist traps and traffic...

Enjoyed the day out at Dolly's place, the steam train was a hit - gettin' up close to that fire breathing, hissing, massive mechanical BEAST was a reminder of days long gone...

The KOA and others were pretty full up with those SOB types......We asked a local in Sevierville where they went to camp in the area, we were directed to the Douglas Reservoir area, just a few miles out of town...

Douglas Reservoir | Oh, Ranger! zoom in on the map and change it to the SAT view to see the campground with lots of room between rigs - & CHEAP, too!

It was after dark, but we found the Douglas Dam Tailwater Campground, found a spot and settled in for the night...We were more than pleasantly surprised in the morning at what a great campground we'd 'found'...!

If you're like us and want to get away from the crowds after a long day with the 'Pigeons'...check this area out...