Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Pie - Pie Lady - American Pie - Caravan Research

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...s-42505-2.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...-28619-28.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...-154490-3.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...les-73730.html

Pie in the search box showed those threads, but what got the desert juices churned up was the Spring issue of VIA ran a page on Pie - Great Pie, Any Way You Slice It .... eight examples of where a body might find a piece of pie.

Noble Folk in Healdsburg; MarKum Inn in Mt Angel, Ore; Ikeda's Market, I80, Auburn; Pie-O-Neer Pies, Pie Town, NM; Petaluma Pie Co in Petaluma; Slice of Humoldt Pie in Arcata; Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero; and Mom's Apple Pie in Sonoma County were all listed.

So, it seems like there might be an opportunity for an AS trip in this. Destinations, pie shops ..... dinner fare, pie ..... intelectual interest, pie receipes .... skill development, pie slicing .....

Any additions to be considered?
Any valid connection for pie and axles, cause that seems to be a BS call?
Any reason to accept cobler over pie?
Any favorite pie receipes to share?
Any Pie Lady stories?
Any American Pie memories?
Any caravan pie stories?

The best pie story was the one my father told about being willing to give a month's pay for a can of peaches .... no crust, just the peaches. Then there was the Cow, the bushel basket of peaches, and the freezer. Dad kept the cow while his boss went to Europe. That was 3 months of high butter fat milk. The orchard South of town had a sale on you pick peaches and we brought a bunch home. You mix milk, a three gallon ice cream freezer and too many peaches to eat before they spoil with a new deep freeze. What you get is frozen pies to bake for dinner and a lot of ice cream to top it off. Not a bad year at all. Did take a lot of arm strength to turn the crank but well worth it.

So, what ya got? We are looking for smiles here. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Not that one needs an excuse to drive up the North Shore, but there’s some pretty delicious pie here..

https://bettyspies.com/

Maggie
Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Pie Town, NM has their Pie Festival in September and there is a film called the Pie Lady of Pie Town.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mojo - Pie festival - now there is a cornerstone of a great trip - thanks much for that one. Got to be lots of smiles there! Pat
Old 02-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
L&M - Bettys Pies sells on line - not the spirit, but WOW what great pictures of pie in the on-line section. Enough to get you on the road immediately! Great smiles. Thanks. Pat
Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pie Town

https://www.npr.org/sections/picture...nd-again-today

A bit of info about Pie Town, New Mexico at the link above. The 2018 pie festival is not comming up as a valid website, but may later. It seems to be held in early September. There are sites that have info, like the individual establishments that sell pie. So search a bit.

Another pie story. Used to love pecan pie. However, it did not take long for all the pecan pie to get consumed at a family get together. Lots of aunts, uncles and cousins liked pecan. But there was this pie called mincemeat. It looked similar, so I tried it - did not like it but tried it. Kids really like pie. So a bunch of years later, like about 20, I tried it again. And I did like it. It is now one of my favorite pies. They say your body cells are replaced with new every seven years. I guess mine got replaced with Mince loving pie cells. Yep, that was a smile. Pat
Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"Another pie story. Used to love pecan pie. However, it did not take long for all the pecan pie to get consumed at a family get together. Lots of aunts, uncles and cousins liked pecan. But there was this pie called mincemeat. It looked similar, so I tried it - did not like it but tried it. Kids really like pie. So a bunch of years later, like about 20, I tried it again. And I did like it. It is now one of my favorite pies. They say your body cells are replaced with new every seven years. I guess mine got replaced with Mince loving pie cells. Yep, that was a smile. Pat"

I thought it must be me, well ....

When I was living at home, in my youth, my mother for festive occasions would make both pecan and mince pies, and my response was: Mince pie, yuck!!!

Well, around my thirties, I somehow tried mince pie again, and since then it's been my absolutely, bar-none, favorite. If I can only find one .... They don't seem to be too popular.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Mince meat! My fave!

Here's a snippet I wrote related to pies around Thanksgiving last year after my mom passed

My mom was not a great cook. It just is what it is. Her stuffing for the turkey was however quite stellar - and she used to specialize in pies for Thanksgiving. She had a bunch of used Frisbie metal pie plates she baked with every year (stamped with a 5 cent return - like the pic here though I have no idea where all her pie plates went....). She of course hasn't made them in a while. But back in the day, there was always one special one for each kid (since we were all her favorite) and a bunch more for the hell of it.

Apple - one with, one without raisins, pecan, squash, pumpkin, squmpkin, mince meat (that was for me...my fave!)...and from time to time she'd try cherry, blueberry...but the mince meat...man that was magical! I don't know how she did the crust, but it's always been my favorite....

I'll be thinking of her with nostalgia during Thanksgiving and this her birthday month. She was a truly good lady and great mom - I miss her - and - I'm really glad she's not suffering anymore.

Hug the folks you love, raise a glass to those who aren't here, and for God's sake, have the pie. [emoji3]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3096.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	304796
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am not a mince fan, can’t stand even the idea of it, and tho pecan is my all time favorite there are few sweets I don’t like.

Years ago, I started making pecan pie with pure cane syrup picked up while traveling in the South, rather than dark Karo. OMG.

Such a rich, delicious flavor, in the ridiculously decadent southern recipe that uses lots of pecans, a full stick of butter, vanilla, etc.

Once a year, at Thanksgiving.

Maggie
Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
-- snip --ridiculously decadent southern recipe that uses lots of pecans, a full stick of butter, vanilla, etc. -- snip --Once a year, at Thanksgiving. -- snip --
L&M, sounds like one to try. Mouth watering to say the least. WOW!

So, pecan pie. I like chocolate. MiMi's is a cafe chain that we first found about 2002. Not particularly special. A little upgrade over other chains and we liked it. But there was a real difference. They offered a pecan, chocolate chip pie a la mode. It was the best, a favorite, worth waiting to have, and special. They no longer offer it. I can only suspect that their insurance considered it such a health risk that they rejected the offering from the policy. Someday! Maybe with your Pecan receipe L&M. Pat
Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
-- snip -- there was always one special one for each kid -- snip -- Hug the folks you love, raise a glass to those who aren't here, and for God's sake, have the pie.-- snip --
SSM - Mom's pie is a special favorite! Great tribute! Thanks - Pat
Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
-- snip -- I thought it must be me, well .... -- snip -- If I can only find one .... They don't seem to be too popular.
Yes, you have put your finger upon the point. Finding the pie. And now to develop the plan of attack to achieve this worth while objective. Pat
Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Try mom's pies (aside from the true mom!) must be a ton of them...even in Eug. On the gravenstein Hwy Sonoma cty...the Gurneville side of Sebastapol...just outside of town.

mmmmmgood

Off topic but can't beat the chardonnay/pinot from this area.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
-- snip -- Off topic but can't beat the chardonnay/pinot from this area. -- snip --
Wine is never off topic, as is the case with Mom's Pie! Pat
Old 02-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you find yourself south of Kansas City heading to Lake of the Ozarks, get some PIE at Smith's in Clinton. Chocolate cream Reese's is my favorite.
http://www.smithsrestaurant.com/smit...rant-locations

If you are heading to Yellowstone/Grand Teton and staying in Dubois WY, be sure to eat at the Cowboy Cafe. They have about a dozen home-made pies. I had peach last time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3662.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	304835  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Try mom's pies (aside from the true mom!) must be a ton of them...even in Eug. On the gravenstein Hwy Sonoma cty...the Gurneville side of Sebastapol...just outside of town.

mmmmmgood

Off topic but can't beat the chardonnay/pinot from this area.

Bob
I think we should start a wine and pie pairing list.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Not sure what wine Grandma would have paired with her sugar pie.

Grandparents were from Somerset PA area and I think we can claim at least some PA Dutch influences. When she made adult pies she’d put together a small sugar pie for kids. IIRC white and brown sugar flour and milk stirred with finger then bake and poof kids eat it up and many big sugar pies showed up at family reunion too.

Tried to make it several times, just not the same.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Pie Town NM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00981.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	304839  
Old 02-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thunderbird Lodge, East of Zion NP
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00465.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	304840  
Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
An alternate road trip idea would center not around pies, but the song American Pie. Starting at the Buddy Holley museum in his hometown Lubbock, Texas, traveling to Clovis, New Mexico where he recorded his first hit songs. Then traveling to Iowa City, where he played his last show before taking off on that ill-fated flight. Then drive to the Rock and Roll hall of fame, where he was inducted into the first class when it opened in 1986.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote